Trouble signing in on protonmail.com

This discussion was created from comments split from: Just signed up - a couple of comments about the proces..

Comments

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

@bwoodruff Cool! Another site with a similar issue is protonmail.com. They have a two step signin proces (two different passwords you need to enter).

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @jramskov. I tested this recently for another user and there are a couple of options. The simplest is to save two Logins, one for each step of the sign in process, your account and the mailbox password. The other option is to add the mailbox password as a custom field to your Login and then copy and paste that password when you get to that page. The reason for this is that right now, 1Password can't match multiple password fields unless they're on the same page. This is one of the areas where we've been considering ways to improve, but for now, one of those two approaches will be best for you.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

hi @jxpx777.
    Thanks for your reply. How do you save two logins for the same website, do you manually edit the website URL? As of now, I'm using your second option and have manually added the mailbox password as a custom field.

I hope you come up with a better solution :+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @jramskov,

The following link, Save the Login manually should help. Basically the idea is you load the page you want 1Password to remember and fill in all the fields you want 1Password to save. You then instruct 1Password to save a new Login item manually rather than waiting for 1Password to ask and in the case of Protonmail what you would do is follow these steps twice, one for each page. You would label them appropriately to allow for easy identification and then use the ⌘\ to fill on each page. In both cases 1Password will pop up the 1Password mini menu to ask you which item you want to fill with. As both Login items are saved from within the browser you don't have to worry about URLs as the extension in conjunction with 1Password mini takes care of that.

This is how I've got my own Protonmail Login items set up. It's worth trying to see if you find it speeds things up or not :smile:

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Thanks for the guide, I'll try that.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @jramskov,

Let us know how you get along :smile:

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Got it working fine with Protonmail, but why do I have to manually choose between the two login items when I login? They have different URL's, so 1Password should be able to figure out which one to use automatically.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jramskov,

We don't match against the full URL and instead only the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) and in both cases the FQDN is mail.protonmail.com. The reason for this is because URLs can contain all sorts of temporary information or a site might have multiple places the same login is visible. So it was decided that the better of the two options was to match just on the domain rather than the possibly confusing situation of users wondering where their Login item is and why can't they see it just because the URL was slightly different. There are edge cases on both sides where one approach would be better than another so it's about what works best for the majority of the cases. That isn't to say we don't re-evaluate how things work as we know this is an area that can cause confusion and we'd like to do better.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot of sense. Have you considered making it an option for individual FQDN's/sites? That way, people would be aware that it might cause issues if they choose to use it for a specific site.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@jramskov There's some discussion about this internally right now, but I don't think expanding this beyond the FQDN is on the table right now. Once upon a time we had something like this in 1Password 2 and it confused people even more than the current approach does. We'll keep our eyes open for things that we can do to improve but for now, I think limiting to the FQDN is the furthest we will go until we have a compelling approach to do something more.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

OK, thanks for all your feedback and help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

• bugd
    bugd
    Community Member

Hi,

I know its an old post, but it helped me understand what could and could not be done with 1password & protonmail at this moment.

A way of manually entering the fields when it's on different webpages would still be nice, but I used the solution described here, and it works perfectly.

Just adding for jramskov, that using Alfred can speed up the process : you type "1p proton" and it should fill in the first page automatically, without prompting the 1password add-on. Then, well, you still have to choose manually for the second step.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bugd,

I'm glad this conversation helped. This is what I love about the forums, people can browse or search and may find that their question has already been asked and answered without having to pen a message and wait for a response. It doesn't always help of course, the range of issues people can experience is pretty big given we rely on OS X, interact with three major browsers and try to be compatible with every web page but I think the forums are a great resource :smile:

I'm not an Alfred user myself but I like the tip :smile:

This discussion has been closed.