Scotiabank

Hi, my bank has a 2 stage verification system. First I have to type my ID number and PIN (which 1passwords stores as username and password) and click login. That works fine. The problem is that after that I get a directed to a second verification page that asks me for my password. If I tell 1password to save it, it overwrites the PIN with the password. So for now I just type the password manually, but it would be good to have 1password fill both stages of the verification process. Would this be possible?

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dariodb,

Bank pages can be quiet annoying with the tricks they like to play on passwords! The good news is that 1Password is good at dealing with them! You can find detailed instructions of a few ways to deal with logins split across multiple pages:https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/

Please let us know if you try this and if everything works ok :chuffed:

• dariodb
    dariodb
    Community Member

Hi Pilar, thanks for your help! Unfortunately it didn't work for me. The problem is that there are 3 fields to be remembered: username, password and PIN. The first page asks for the username and PIN, that works. But when I save the password on the second stage it overwrites the PIN instead of remembering it separately.

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member

Hi @dariodb,

Sorry that this isn't working for you.

It might help Agile Bits if you tell us the URL of the initial login page.

The problem is that different websites are setup in their own ways and sometimes that makes it hard for 1Password to figure out what fields to populate. If they can see what URL you are trying to login to it might give some more insight into how to help you. :)

• dariodb
    dariodb
    Community Member

Hi @rogerdodger

This is the URL for the initial login page. It asks for a ID number (username) and a PIN (which behaves as a password field, masking characters). After successfully entering those you get to the second page which asks for a password. To complicate things further, the URL doesn't change between the 2 different stages.

https://www1.scotiabank.com.uy/scotiaenlinea/

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member

Hi @dariodb,

Thanks for sending the URL. As @Pilar mentioned banks can really do some strange stuff with their login pages which ends up causing problems for 1Password, and this is one of those cases.

While the AgileBits folks may have a better solution this is how I would solve the issue:

Create two Login entries in 1Password

Call the first - "ScotiaBank 1"
    This entry will have the username and PIN.

Call the second - "ScotiaBank 2"
    This entry will have the password.

When you goto login select ScotiaBank 1 first and hit the Continue button. Then select the ScotiaBank 2 entry and the password should be filled in correctly.

I know this isn't ideal but it is how I have to do things for my bank as well...

Does that help? :)

• dariodb
    dariodb
    Community Member

Ok, that should work. I'll let you know if it doesn't. Thanks!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hola @dariodb,

Thank you for giving us the URL it gives us a much better perspective! This one is tricky for us because we'd need a valid bank account on Scotiabank to test the second part of the entry ourselves :unamused:

rogerdodger was right, if the guide that I linked doesn't work, the next suggestion is to create separate login entries. That should do the trick!

If 1Password still does not fill in the right details even after following the steps above, then you may have to create separate Login entries, one for each page.

Please let us know how this goes for you and if Scotiabank's page is nicely set up for you this time! :chuffed:

• dariodb
    dariodb
    Community Member

Thanks again @Pilar! It worked indeed, but I do consider this more of a temporary workaround than a solution. Still, much better than entering it manually! I do realize it must be difficult to work with banks since you can't just create an account for testing and there are so many of them all over the world. But I do hope to see better support for this kind of login in the future if at all possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! I'm glad that helped. We're always working to improve 1Password, so perhaps we'll be able to find an even better solution for onerous login processes like this in the future. Cheers! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @dariodb,

I'd just to clarify one thing if I may. While brenty is correct that we're always looking to improve 1Password the basic premise behind a Login item at the moment is it is designed to fill a single page. The ability to fill over two pages is currently based on the fact that the most common design for a two-page login is for the username on the first page and the password on the second. Anything more complex than that, such as multiple password fields requiring filled does currently mean the use of multiple Login items as you're now using for Scotiabank. While improved support for multi-page logins would be nice we don't view the use of multiple Login items as a temporary workaround like we might come up with if we're having trouble filling at a particular site, it's our actual recommend approach for when a single Login item isn't sufficient, that's why it's referenced in the Using 1Password with login sequences split across multiple pages guide. Improved support will be nice but it isn't that there is a bug needing fixed, it's more the original design, which is quite fixed, didn't anticipate these types of pages. I'm just posting so you have a better idea of how 1Password works and what you may expect from it. Anything more complex than a username page followed by a password page will currently require multiple Login items.

This discussion has been closed.