just joined family and want to import my personal vault into family. having trouble

Options
stevetmin
stevetmin
Community Member

Followed your instructions. After selecting all, I go to "item" "share", but everything is grayscale. Help.

1Password Version: 6.02
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:just joined family. having trouble importing my personal vault (pre-existing) into newly created fam

Comments

• Hi Stevemin,

With 1Password on iOS you can only move one item at a time. If you have a Mac, 1Password for Mac lets you select multiple items and move them to the family vault at one go.

The ability to move multiple items at once on iOS is in development.

I think that's what you are running into, let me know if I misunderstood.

• stevetmin
    stevetmin
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 1Password 6.0.2. Isn't this 1Password for MAC? I follow your instructions (https://support.1password.com/move-data-teams-families/mac.html) and after I select all of the items, I get to steps 2 and 3 (Choose Item > Share from the menu bar.
    Select the destination vault, and you’ll then have the option to Move or Copy the item.) At this point, even if I try to share only one item, I only see mail, message, airdrop and print. There are no options for achive, demo, family or work. If I select ALL, then I see mail, message, airdrop and print, but ALL IN GRAYSCALE. Can you help?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevetmin,

Thank you for clarifying what you're seeing when you try to move items. That's very helpful, and I think I understand what the issue is and how to fix it. The key is the second sentence of the instructions you were looking at:

If you haven’t already signed in to your account, you’ll need to do so before you can move items between vaults.

Here's where you can find the instructions to sign in to your new Family account on your Mac:

Sign in to your Team or Family account: Existing Installation

(Apologies if the "Teams" terminology inside the app is confusing; Families uses the same technology that we built for Teams and we are working on adding Families wording there.)

After you do that, you should be able to move items from your Primary vault into your Family vaults using the steps you've already been trying. You'll see your Family vaults listed in the Item > Share menu, and you'll also see those vaults added to your 1Password for Mac app.

I hope this helps! Please do let us know if there's anything else we can clarify or assist you with. :) Cheers!

• stevetmin
    stevetmin
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Maybe I'm being dense. I have been using 1Password for a long time. I have a personal account which I use through the Mac app, and is backed up using Dropbox.

I just signed up for families b/c I thought it would be nice to have my family use 1Password and so we can share certain passwords. I have also signed into my new family account over the web (1Password 6). So my personal passwords are on my pre-existing vault and I want to migrate my pre-existing vault into my family account and make that my "personal vault". How do I do that? I tried following your instructions and this is getting very frustrating. Again, I just want to import my pre-existing personal account into my family account.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @stevetmin,

I'm sorry if this is confusing. It seems we have some room for improvement in the documentation there. I'll try to explain it more clearly.

You need to add your Family account into your 1Password for Mac application before you can move your data from your existing vault to a Family vault. Here's how:

1. Log in to your Family account in the web browser
    2. Open the Team menu in the top right corner and choose Get the Apps. You'll see your account information appear in the right column, including a square QR code at the bottom.
    3. Open and unlock the 1Password 6 for Mac app. From the menu bar, select 1Password 6 > Preferences > Teams
    4. Click the + button shown here. Your Preferences pane may look slightly different as we have updated it a bit, but the + button is in the same place
    5. Either type in your Family account information manually, or use the QR code scanner option. To use the QR code scanner, you'll just need to drag the scanner window to line up with the QR code in the browser from step 2.

Does that help? I look forward to hearing how that goes for you, and we're glad to answer any other questions you may have for us. :)

• stevetmin
    stevetmin
    Community Member
    Options

That did it. Think you need to explain that more clearly in your documentation. Maybe use some pics as well.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update, and for the feedback!

Ben

• windoverwater
    windoverwater
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I think I am still dense. In the above explanation with 5 steps, I cannot get from step 2 to step3. I think the context is changing or a step is missing. For example, I can complete step 2 - I am in a browser with the info on the right and app links on the left. But it is not clear what the context of step 3 is - are you supposed to install a second 1password app and then run both? A missing step 2b?

I would have thought that if that was the case - if one needs to install 1password6, the documentation would say something like "Note - family 1password6 is a different and separate app then the individual 1password and one must have both installed to move data between them. If you decide to choose family 1password6 and move all your vaults to the family 1password, then you can do so and stop using the individual 1password. Or you can keep them separate and continue to use both at the same time. If you do run both, you can choose which one works with the various 1password plug-ins to the various browsers." Or something like that.

Help. Thanks. :-)

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @windoverwater,

Thanks for your question. I'll be happy to answer and clarify here.

1Password for Families integrates with the downloadable client apps and also offers a web app; it's not a web-only service. The Family subscription includes all the apps you need, so you don't have to pay extra for them, but you do need to install them on your devices and add your Family or Team account as I've described above. This will add your Family vaults into the Mac app so you can access them all from the app and use the browser extension to fill your saved login credentials (and credit cards, and identities) from any vault into a browser.

You're correct that there is a context switch between my steps 2 and 3 above. Step 2 is in the browser, and step 3 is in the 1Password for Mac app, which I tried to make clear by starting with "From the menu bar in 1Password," but I will now edit the post to clarify that further. I was writing those steps as an answer to @stevetmin's specific question about how to move his existing data into a Family vault, and he knew what I meant because he had already been using the 1Password for Mac app.

We have a guide to help you get started with 1Password for Families as a new user. Here's the link to it:

Sign in to your Team or Family account: New Installation

Please look through that guide and let us know if you have any further questions or come across any steps that don't make sense. We're here to help! :)

Thanks so much for using 1Password for Families. Your early adoption of this new plan helps us improve and fine-tune the service as well as our supporting documentation. We really appreciate it!

• d22cameron
    d22cameron
    Community Member
    Options

I think I understand how to do this, but to confirm I can only make this happen on my Mac? I cannot execute these steps through my 1Password Windows environment. I have both a Mac and a PC, and share the vault through dropbox.

• Ben
    Options

I'd recommend getting started with the Mac.

We do not yet have a stable (non-beta) application for Windows with Families/Teams support. That is coming, but for now the web interface may be your best bet for accessing 1Password for Families from your PC. If you'd like to try the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app (requiring Windows 10) you can find it in the Microsoft Store as a free download.

Thanks!

Ben

• jfd0302
    jfd0302
    Community Member
    Options

I figured out how to solve this problem: switch to LASTPASS because Lifehacker rates it better than 1 password and even though I used to like 1password, be warned, once you switch to families, your old passwords can't be accessed.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfd0302 That is untrue, and I explained as much in a reply to another thread to which you contributed: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/313210/#Comment_313210 I understand your frustration, but let's keep the conversation in one place, and let us help you get things sorted before we worry about moving to other solutions :)

This discussion has been closed.