Moving Beyond 1PasswordAnywhere discussion

Comments

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

I'm afraid I'm another one that has to voice their extreme displeasure at the dumping of 1P Anywhere. Strangely the use cases AB listed as no longer being valid do not match my own, it's almost as if they were being wilfully ignored to suit AB's own disingenuous purposes.

1. I would use it in the event I lost my device and needed access to my passwords.
    2. I used it the occasional time I booted into Windows. It certainly wasn't worth paying for a full license.
    3. I used it on my work PC. Like I would have thought everybody else on the planet our work computers are locked down by the IT Dept. We can't install any software or use external drives on them.

Surely these are blindingly obvious and should not have been missed in the assessment by AB? (As found here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere/ ).

It's just darn greedy asking me to subscribe to a $60/year service for a feature that has been removed from my product and into a higher price bracket. Why on earth would I pay that when Lastpass is a quarter of the price?

Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned a CLI client. Can somebody please explain in idiots terms what that is, and is it a possible starter to solve this problem?

• golles
    golles
    Community Member

Like many others I am very disappointed that there is no straightforward way to keep on using 1PWA.
    I used it on a daily base on my Ubuntu machine as there is no official client that I could use...

In your whats new messages on iOS you keep on saying that you "value my workflow too much to interrupt it" that makes me wonder what you are going to do to fix my workflow, because typing my long passwords from my smartphone or my Macbook to my Ubuntu machine is very bad. Next to that it is sad because I bought 1PW in the past for both MAC and iOS.

1PW (including 1PWA) is so important in my daily workflow, so please come with a good solution to fix this, please!

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member

Could we please have a response to the solution put forward by @pier25. Is it viable, doable, a non starter - what?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

@tonydow: They suggested some things that are feasible, but wholly unacceptable from a security perspective because, as pier25 summed up rather succinctly,

1PA doesn't work anymore because it was a quick and dirty solution that relied on an external provider to save you a few cents per user.

I've given this a lot of thought, and while it seems the intention was to paint a rather negative, dim view of the good folks here at AgileBits, there's some truth to this statement which reflects on something that was said earlier:

1PA was one of the features that were in the software I paid for.

This is patently false. No one paid for 1PasswordAnywhere. And though some have disagreed on this point, it's a matter of fact: 1PasswordAnywhere was freely available because it was never part of the 1Password app; rather, it is part of an AgileKeychain vault, which could be (and was) created and used by people who never paid a thing. Conversely, OPVault will never support 1PasswordAnywhere, no matter how much money you spend. It's part of the data format, which is freely available, and not part of the license that you pay for. I'll say it again: anyone could use 1PasswordAnywhere without ever paying for 1Password. No one bought a license to use it, because they never had to.

Preface: Presumptions

So, getting back to the question, the proposals are that A AgileBits pays to host 1PasswordAnywhere or B we "fix" the HTML. Now, keep in mind that in both cases we're talking about keeping an ancient (by internet standards) piece of software on life support so people can use it to access their most sensitive data, often from untrusted devices. Before we even get to the proposed solutions themselves, let's recognize that this presumes that it's a good idea to do these things, and it most certainly isn't.

There's a reason none of us (I hope) are still using browsers from 2009 today: the nature of attacks has changed, and as an industry we've hardened our security, both in response to existing threats and in preparation for others in the future. No matter how much a person loves 1PasswordAnywhere, using it is less secure than the apps, since as a plaintext HTML file accessed through a browser it faces threats that the apps do not. Additionally, it can't take advantage of the security improvements we've made in OPVault. As busy as this discussion has been, people wanting to improve their security by moving to OPVault have kept us much busier, and that's encouraging. That's where we need to spend our time and energy, not helping old apps, extensions, or HTML files limp along.

Proposal A: "S3 hosting of 1PA"

Agile Bits host our 1PA keychains in S3 (since I know you are already in AWS). It would cost you cents per user in hosting costs. You can afford a few cents after selling licenses at $64.99. Even more when you consider a user will need to buy multiple licenses like I have (Windows, OSX, Android, iOS).

(Keeping in mind that it would be a bad security decision for us to make an effort to further enable people to use something architected in 2009 to access sensitive information over the internet through a web browser in the first place), apart from saving us "a few cents per user" (assuming that user even purchased a license), Dropbox offered their own layer of security, which is the only reason we didn't kill 1PasswordAnywhere outright years ago: Dropbox was pretty much the only place it worked, and it also protected 1Password.html behind the security of your username, password, and (optionally) a one-time password as well. (Don't even get me started on the suggestion of sharing it publicly.) This bought all of us much more time than would have been the case otherwise.

So while we could host 1Password.html for you ourselves, there is a cost involved in doing that, and one that is not covered by any license, given that it is available without one. That's essentially asking us to not only make the thing and give it away for free, but pay to serve it to everyone as well. That's just nuts. And again, we can't in good conscience offer a product from 2009 that isn't, in the year 2016, up to our standards, even if you pay us. We won't do it.

Proposal B: "Fix the HTML of 1PA"

You can make 1PA much better by simply embedding all the data in a single HTML file so that users can simply download that HTML file and run it locally without the need for complicated and insecure browser configurations. This is trivial to make. And while you are at it, please update the HTML to be responsive for mobile devices. I have complained to your support about this since 2014.

This kind of brings us full circle: 1PasswordAnywhere can't be "fixed" anymore than 1Password 3, Chrome 6, or Windows XP; it isn't broken. It's simply old technology. Part of the suggestion was to "update" it with responsive design. This wasn't a thing in 2009. This is sort of like asking for QuarkExpress to be "updated" to run on Intel: what you're really asking for is a rewrite — something brand new.

And I know some people are going to hate this, but that is, in part, what 1Password Families/Teams is: it's a modern web interface for 1Password...but of course it's a lot of other things too. But I totally get that some people don't want to pay for it, especially if all they want is a web interface — and especially given that 1PasswordAnywhere was free; why should you have to pay for a "replacement"? That sort of goes back to the other "answer to life the universe and everything": you get what you pay for, and if you don't see a value in something, then you don't need to pay for it. So long as we've got food, water, shelter, and safety, we're doing okay. 1PasswordAnywhere isn't a basic human right; but it was a nice thing to have.

Both of these points would be trivial to implement and it would cost cents per user license in infrastructure and development.

So, years later, we did go back to the drawing board after creating 1PasswordAnywhere, and we saw that not only could we make a more secure web interface, but it made a lot of sense to build it into something bigger so it could do things 1PasswordAnywhere could not — and look good doing it.

But it definitely didn't cost us "cents per user license" to build it, host it, and continue to improve it, which is of course what you're asking us to do with 1PasswordAnywhere. And if we don't charge for it, when something else stops working 7 years down the line, there won't be anyone here to keep the lights on, much less have a fix or something brand new to meet the needs of you or anyone else. And that's the moral of the story: sustainability. Without that, we won't be able to offer you security or convenience. And really we want to continue to offer both. That's why we won't be bringing 1PasswordAnywhere back from the dead: because resurrecting it doesn't meet any of those standards.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

To a considerable extent, the fact that 1PW for Teams/Families came out at almost the same time that 1PW Anywhere went away (which was, I think, mostly a coincidence) has caused the customer relations issues show in this thread.

What I mean by that is that if the Families option had not existed, you could have simply said that changes in Dropbox meant that Anywhere no longer worked. People would have been upset but would probably have understood. What annoyed people was that you have spent time pushing a paid solution when previous use was free.

Also, it does seem that you underestimated the number of people who had to use Anywhere because they were not permitted to install software on their work machines.

But I hope that the occasional mention of "1PW for Awesome individuals" will come into fruition soon. And loss-leaders are common in many areas, offering (for instance) one year free for individuals who already have 1PW would be a help.

Perhaps oddly, if you had asked me to pay $40 for the upgrade from 1PW5 to 6 I would have had no objection. But a subscription model with a fair bit of extra cost feels a step too far.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

To a considerable extent, the fact that 1PW for Teams/Families came out at almost the same time that 1PW Anywhere went away (which was, I think, mostly a coincidence) has caused the customer relations issues show in this thread.

@danco: I think you're absolutely right, and honestly I can't blame anyone for feeling that way. I think that we all need to be vigilant, because unfortunately shady stuff like that happens every day. But AgileBits didn't kill 1PasswordAnywhere, even though we probably should have. The facts bear this out, but I can totally understand that when you're upset about something it's difficult to see reason.

What I mean by that is that if the Families option had not existed, you could have simply said that changes in Dropbox meant that Anywhere no longer worked. People would have been upset but would probably have understood. What annoyed people was that you have spent time pushing a paid solution when previous use was free.

Honestly, it's the Kobayashi Maru all over again. When we don't suggest a secure browser-based alternative, people demand solutions; and when we offer 1Password Teams/Families as one for its web interface, this is deemed greedy and disingenuous. 1Password Families/Teams is the only solution that we can wholeheartedly endorse for accessing passwords securely in a browser. There are probably other solutions out there, but we don't have any control over those. What's truly annoying is that things change and disrupt our workflow. I think that's something we can all relate to.

Also, it does seem that you underestimated the number of people who had to use Anywhere because they were not permitted to install software on their work machines.

I don't know that we estimate at all, since there's really no way do so. It would just be guessing. As I mentioned above (in perhaps boring detail), anyone could have been using 1PasswordAnywhere. We just have no way of knowing, and ironically that's probably why many people here used 1Password in the first place: because we don't track you or collect information to sell.

But I hope that the occasional mention of "1PW for Awesome individuals" will come into fruition soon. And loss-leaders are common in many areas, offering (for instance) one year free for individuals who already have 1PW would be a help.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it could be "soon" — though of course different people will have different ideas about what "soon" means exactly. But something for individuals is definitely on our radar.

Perhaps oddly, if you had asked me to pay $40 for the upgrade from 1PW5 to 6 I would have had no objection. But a subscription model with a fair bit of extra cost feels a step too far.

You know, 10 years ago I felt exactly the same way. It's a funny thing. Being someone who enjoys video games, subscriptions are just something I grew to accept (WoW, Live, PS, etc.), and with the changes coming to the App Store, that's something we'll be seeing more of in apps as well. We'll see how it goes. Developers need to make money somehow, so I'm glad Apple is trying something new there.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There seem to be potential issues with KeePass at the moment. Apparently there is a vulnerability in the update procedure that the developer has decided not to fix. I don't know anything precise about this.

But the report acts as a warning to those thinking of leaving 1PW that cost is not the only issue. There can be unexpected security holes.

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

First of all I would like to say I appreciate AB staff taking the time to respond to their customers on the forums.

I have had a number of interactions with AB staff on the forums and in general I find their demeanour pleasant and helpful. But I'm afraid I find @brenty confrontational and antagonistic, and I'm not the only one on this thread to point it out.

PA was one of the features that were in the software I paid for.

This is patently false. No one paid for 1PasswordAnywhere. And though some have disagreed on this point, it's a matter of fact: 1PasswordAnywhere was freely available because it was never part of the 1Password app; rather, it is part of an AgileKeychain vault, which could be (and was) created and used by people who never paid a thing. Conversely, OPVault will never support 1PasswordAnywhere, no matter how much money you spend. It's part of the data format, which is freely available, and not part of the license that you pay for. I'll say it again: anyone could use 1PasswordAnywhere without ever paying for 1Password. No one bought a license to use it, because they never had to.

This is a politician's answer, trying best to sidestep the intention of our complaints (that 1PA was included with 1P and has been taken away) and trying to use a license argument that was never apparent to anybody purchasing 1P. Luckily the Internet Archive is available to discredit his statements.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130127145106/https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac/features
    https://web.archive.org/web/20130128210517/help.agilebits.com/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

I chose a date that was close to my original purchase, but I am sure there will be later captures showing the same information. It's clear that 1PA was advertised as a feature of 1P, it's on the features page. I don't see anything there that says 'no purchase necessary'. So if you're telling me that 'you never paid for 1PA', that's just an outright disingenuous response.

I buy a computer that says it comes with a monitor. Nowhere in the supplier's advertising does it mention the monitor is a freebie. The monitor breaks and the supplier says 'tough luck the monitor was free and you only paid for everything else'. This would be illegal in any jurisdiction that I know about. I'm not arguing 'it's illegal' with regards to 1PA, but I'm pointing out the absurdity of brenty's stance.

I would also like to know if the CLI suggestion from this thread is a solution?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016

I am not exactly happy about some of the responses from AgileBits staff on this issue. But maybe it is time to put some of the blame where it belongs, namely Dropbox.

1PW A worked with an old version of Dropbox. When Dropbox was updated, AgileBits was able to persuade them that the feature that allowed 1PW A to work should be retained. But the most recent upgrade to Dropbox has meant that they were no longer willing to retain that feature (and probably AgileBits did not press for its retention).

Whether some recoding of 1PW could have saved 1PW Anywhere I don't know, but I doubt it. And in fact I think that AgileBits have pointed out that 1PW A itself still works, but not with Dropbox, which was the main way it was used.

So tell Dropbox of your unhappiness, not just AgileBits

• lorcan
    lorcan
    Community Member

Hi,

I've just found this thread, and it seems to explain why 1PasswordAnywhere has stopped working for me. The thread is too long for me to read in it's entirety, so apologies if my questions have already been answered.

I use 1Password on OSX on my MacbookPro at home, and on my Android phone. At work, I use Linux - with the Chrome browser. Since 1PasswordAnywhere stopped working, I can't use passwords on my work computer except by reading them on my Android phone and typing them in again. This is a real nuisance.

Skipping over the rights and wrongs of how we got here, I'd like AgileBits to provide an answer to one question:

How can I get access to my passwords on Linux?

There have been repeated mentions of hosting 1PasswordAnywhere on our own webservers - could AgileBits please provide step-by-step instructions for doing that? I feel it's the least they should do in the circumstances.

I work as a software engineer and could possibly figure this out by myself, but I really don't think I should have to. Please don't worry about the steps being too technical for users to follow, we'll manage.

Thanks in advance,
    Lorcan

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I believe another solution is to have the data on a USB stick, though one then has the issue of allowing the browser to read local files, which is disabled by default as it is a security risk.

The currently recommended solution is to use 1PW for Teams/Families. That is a subscription method, fine for families (and possibly for individual new users) but probably too expensive for a single user with an existing licence. Do consider it, though.

I suppose AgileBits reckon that they don't want to encourage people to run their own servers unless those people really know what they are doing, too many disasters could occur if someone just followed instructions without expert knowledge.

• danco is correct. We really can't recommend any of the remaining methods of running 1PasswordAnywhere anymore, and as such cannot provide instructions for doing so.

Running a web server or disabling local file restrictions open you up to significant security risks.

1Password Teams or 1Password Families are the only ways in which we currently recommend accessing your 1Password data via a web browser. They are also possible solutions for access on Linux as we do not currently have a native Linux application.

Ben

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member

Noting that Agilebits does not recommend this, @GJbrizzle posted the following solution that I have tried and found to work well:

My solution involves downloading and unpacking Google Chrome Portable (the portable app version of Chrome). Once unpacked, this can be put on a USB stick along with the complete agilekeychain folder. The portable app can also be copied onto a file storage service (e.g. Dropbox) for copying onto a USB stick while travelling if the need arises. With the portable version of Chrome and the agilekeychain folder both on the USB, the portable app can be run with the following command line...
    googlechromeportable --allow-file-access-from-files
    ... and the 1Password.html can be opened and run.

• That does seem like a reasonable solution, noting the above warning, so long as you do not use that instance of Chrome Portable to browse the internet (just access 1PasswordAnywhere).

• nol
    nol
    Community Member

@danco
    It sounds a bit that you might me biased based on the fact you are community moderator here.

So tell Dropbox of your unhappiness, not just AgileBits

It is AgileBits that did not change their product. They knew upfront that Dropbox will change. You can not blame AWS as well if they make change, if you use its base, you have to adapt.

AgileBits has 1PasswordAnywhere solutione available = Web access
    THIS is the new 1PasswordAnywhere but they restrict it only to customers willing to pay far more and for a plan that is not fair. You pay for 5 seats but you are individual and you might not need shared things at all.
    It is about why they do not respect their client base. Those who paid and recommendet them to others.
    Fix IS there but not accessible for individuals.

Some people have been locked out and only way is to pay more.
    We can talk all day long how old 1PWA and its customers are but at the end, it is still a feature which has been simply removed. Removed, because it exist in a new GUI - Web Access.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I may be a bit biased, but I feel rather in the middle. I have been critical of AgileBits, as I think they have made some doubtful decisions, but have more sympathy towards them than some of the people posting (by the way, being a community moderator means no more than that AgileBits have recognised that I regularly post and help people, there are no perks involved other than the title).

I think AgileBits got fixated on the technicalities of 1PW Anywhere. They have given good reasons for not continuing with it (though in fact it still works as it did except for Dropbox). But they have not properly addressed users' concerns.

Users are concerned with the functionality, not the technicalities. They want to be able to access a database through the web, and to be able to keep it updated somehow. That's the only specific feature from Families that they need, even syncing can be done some other way (Dropbox or iCloud), and the other features of Families are probably not relevant. I wish AgileBits recognised this and responded, the current cost to a user may well be worth it if one needs all the extra features, but a cut-down Families (just web access) at a lower cost ought to be workable.

But on your more specific comment to me, it is Dropbox that has changed. What AgileBits could do to fit in with this I don't know, but in general programming is harder than some of the people posting realise. I do trust them enough that I think they would have made a change if it had been easy and secure. And actually I did not say that people should not criticise AgileBits, just that they should also criticise Dropbox, as it is THEIR changes that have caused the problem.

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Users are concerned with the functionality, not the technicalities. They want to be able to access a database through the web, and to be able to keep it updated somehow. That's the only specific feature from Families that they need, even syncing can be done some other way (Dropbox or iCloud), and the other features of Families are probably not relevant. I wish AgileBits recognised this and responded, the current cost to a user may well be worth it if one needs all the extra features, but a cut-down Families (just web access) at a lower cost ought to be workable.

This is what I want. But it's so important to stress that web access is the only feature I need. Price is of vital importance and I don't expect to be charged much for this service; the storage space required is minuscule, hopefully the development costs could be shared with Families, and AB took it away from me in the first place. I currently pay 79p / month for 50Gb iCloud storage. How much does 1PA require, 1/1000th of that?

• lorcan
    lorcan
    Community Member

bwoodruff, tonydow - thanks for your replies. I really do appreciate the attempt to help.

I've googled "Google Chrome Portable" as I hadn't heard of it before. Am I right in thinking that it only supports Windows? My whole problem is that I need access on a Linux desktop. So unless I'm wrong about it being Windows-only, that approach doesn't really help. Even if it did, would I really need to carry a USB stick around with me all the time? And somehow update the data on the stick manually?

It looks like this essential feature which I've been using happily for some time has now disappeared and can't be recovered. Too bad. I don't know if any other password managers offer the full set of features that I need, but I guess I'll need to go looking. Which is a shame, as I thought I had already bought exactly the features I need.

• adminfive
    adminfive
    Community Member

So just to be clear, there's absolutely no way now to use 1password on a chromebook, short of signing up for a subscription plan? This is a major problem for me and probably is going to require me to switch password managers.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member

@lorcan try this link for a Linux version aboutonlinetips.com/download-portable-google-chrome-3/. Yes, you would need to carry the usb stick with you and refresh the data after changes.

• tanwald
    tanwald
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

@lorcan
    you could try my read only client: https://github.com/tanwald/passpy

@steve23094
    thanks for pointing to the internet archive. one more proof that @brenty is trying hard to bend reality in a way that is comfortable for agilebits. Please stop the embarrassing excuses and explanations. web access was possible before and is still possible. The only difference is that now you want money for a feature that you've already sold before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tanwald: The facts speak for themselves. You should really read it again. :frown:

• tanwald
    tanwald
    Community Member

@brenty give an example! I only see that you sell it as a top feature and talk about current limitations. I bought 1Password 4 and even contacted the support to assure that I will have web access and can use it on Linux. The answer was yes and everywhere and there was no "but in future maybe not". Open your second eye!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Open your second eye!

@tanwald: Okay, that was a pretty good one! :pirate: ;)

I bought 1Password 4 and even contacted the support to assure that I will have web access and can use it on Linux. The answer was yes and everywhere and there was no "but in future maybe not".

But in all seriousness, you make a fair point. Now, I'd prefer not to get into it since this goes back to Dropbox, and they've been great to us so I don't want to play the blame game.

Dropbox has been great. They were willing to accommodate 1PasswordAnywhere as long as they could reasonably do so (and perhaps beyond that; who knows?) And when the time came, they let us know, we posted an announcement about it, and within I think about a week or so it stopped working.

But one of the first questions we received was "when?" and we honestly didn't have a definitive answer, only that it was going to happen. And as you can imagine, given that even days before it would transpire we didn't have an exact time frame, similarly we had no way of knowing for certain if or when it would no longer work further into the past. It's a pretty good guess that 1Password 4 will stop working in some future version of macOS (née OS X), but that isn't something we're going to try to predict and announce preemptively either.

And as developers ourselves, we almost never give exact time frames because things often don't go according to plan. And I totally respect that the good folks at Dropbox are hard at work on their own products and need to focus on that rather than trying to pin down a date or time for us when they'd already been generous enough to let us know that the end of the line was coming.

• thebruce
    thebruce
    Community Member

I've been a 1PW user since 2010, across Mac, IOS and Windows, with occasional Linux. I needed a password manager, be able to save notes or other secure stuff and the ability to have an interface via the web for when I'm using a work machine. Prior to that I was using a flash key and that is not something I wish to return back to.

My use case meant during a work day I was using 1PWA several times a day. This was a key feature and one of a number of strong reasons why I chose 1PW in the first place. I had up until now been positively glowing about 1PW and highly rated and recommended the software many times to friends and colleagues.

I was caught completely unaware about Dropbox support disappearing. It broke and I sought out the forums and found this thread.
    My disappointment lies that I was caught unaware and there was not a plan for single users like myself from AB given that you were aware for what appears to be years now that this feature would eventually break.

I know many have asked in this thread, if there will be a single user web model made available or a single user version of families, but it appears that this is not coming any time soon. I'm all for paying for quality software that meets my needs, and considered back in 2010 and beyond the software good value. I'm open to a subscription based approach but like others, the $60/year that comes with 'families' seems steep especially as one of the alternative password manager solutions is $12/year (or even free with no mobile device support). and will work fine with a work computer too.

I'm loathed to ditch 1PW I consider AB takes security very seriously and has provided excellent software. If I knew for sure a single user (or even couples plan) was coming in the short term then I could sit it out. If it is 'on your radar' and was short term I could slog it out with typing from mobile device to work machine a little longer, but it gets more frustrating by the day. Is there any commitment beyond we are thinking about it ? I understand stuff changes and that the old dropbox model is defunct, but I'd have thought my use model ie. a work machine that I have limited rights to install software would be a common scenario for many 1PW users. Linux and Chromebook support I could imagine would be more marginal, but with a web interface I never had to worry about it.

I'd even worked with my local IT folks at work to see if I could install 1PW which perhaps I could, but my understanding it only works with Dropbox installed, and that is definitely a no for me (or am I wrong here?).

• Hi @thebruce,

My disappointment lies that I was caught unaware and there was not a plan for single users like myself from AB given that you were aware for what appears to be years now that this feature would eventually break.

We originally developed 1PasswordAnywhere as a stopgap solution to access 1Password data on Windows (before we had a native Windows solution). It wasn't intended to be a long term offering. As soon as we had a Windows application, we probably should've killed it, as instead the usage of it grew. People started using it for all sorts of different purposes, as many folks have outlined in this thread. Folks came to rely on it for things it was never intended to do. And that is unfortunate. And we put ourselves in a poor position by suggesting to customers that it was a possible solution for various situations (again -- that it was never designed for).

So I guess in the future we need to really evaluate whether we should offer temporary solutions or workarounds at all, as it seems we'll be held to supporting them indefinitely, even after a better option is available.

At this stage we offer two solutions that provide web based access to 1Password data: 1Password Families, and 1Password Teams. We do not, as a rule, discuss what future offerings may bring, but I can say that we do not have any definite plans for adding any additional products or services in the short term. We're focusing on bringing parity across 1Password on the platforms we currently support, and improving our existing offerings. Is it possible that we'll offer a solution like 1Password Families but more geared toward individuals in the future? Yes, it is possible. But it isn't any more than an idea in the brainstorm at this point.

1Password Families can be had for as little as $48/yr (if paying annually).

I do apologize if folks feel they're now being asked to pay for functionality they had before, but 1Password Families offers a heck of a lot more functionality than 1PasswordAnywhere ever dreamed of having (including access to all of the latest versions of our standalone native applications without any additional licensing costs), and offering that service has real costs associated with it. We can't currently de-couple just read-only web access, like 1PasswordAnywhere used to offer, from the 1Password Families service and offer it separately. Again: is it possible we may be able to do that in the future? Perhaps. But unfortunately I cannot make any promises in that regard at this time. We do appreciate the feedback that something like that would be desirable, and will certainly take that into consideration as we move forward.

I'd even worked with my local IT folks at work to see if I could install 1PW which perhaps I could, but my understanding it only works with Dropbox installed, and that is definitely a no for me (or am I wrong here?).

1Password can work independently of Dropbox, but if you want to sync your 1Password data via Dropbox then yes, you'd need to have Dropbox installed.

If anyone has individual circumstances that they'd like to discuss in private please drop us an email to support@1password.com

Thanks.

Ben

• cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member

@thebruce and @bwoodruff

1Password can work independently of Dropbox, but if you want to sync your 1Password data via Dropbox then yes, you'd need to have Dropbox installed.

This is NOT true, as I am currently on the latest 1Password Windows Beta, without Dropbox installed on my machine, syncing my data via Dropbox. This has worked for me, granted I have the ability to install applications to my own Windows work machine with out IT interference. If you do not have it installed, it prompts you to login via the Dropbox web interface baked into the 1Password interface.

• That is a fair point, @cwanja, but @thebruce mentioned he uses Macs as well. We don't have anything like that on Mac (Dropbox application is required to sync with Dropbox), and even on Windows it is only available in beta (the stable version needs the Dropbox application to sync with the Dropbox service).

But yes, if thebruce is only using Windows at work, and wants to help us beta test the next version of 1Password for Windows, the beta version may be an acceptable solution. Thanks for pointing it out!

Ben

• pier25
    pier25
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

@brenty so hosting 1PA is not a sustainable solution since it's a cost you can't offset to your customers (since they only paid a one time fee for the 1P app), and working on 1PA doesn't make sense because it's a dated tech you want to get rid of.

I don't agree with those points, but I won't waste time arguing since so far you haven't offered a proper solution.

I will express my concerns of other things being said in this thread.

1) Saying "1PA is not part of 1P but of AgileKeychain vault" is a very dirty public relations move. The feature was clearly marketed as 1Password Anywhere, and not AgileKeychain Vault Anywhere. You sold it as part of 1Password.

This can easily be proved with your own marketing text from the internet time machine.

Never leave home without your Agile Keychain, thanks to 1PasswordAnywhere. A new feature in 1Password 3

2) I won't be paying for 1Password for families because I'm not a family.

3) Even in the case of a subscription based "1Password for individuals" (like families but for a single user) there would be no proper solution for Windows, Chrome OS, or Linux, other than being able to access the vault via a web dashboard. And what I mean by no proper integration is no browser extension that types the passwords for you and captures new passwords.

4) Also, in the eventual case of a "1Password for individuals" would you offer a discount to clients like myself that have already payed for your software? Because, if it works like Families, such a subscription service would already include access to the OSX/iOS/Android apps which I have already payed for.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@pier25,

I won't be paying for 1Password for families because I'm not a family.

This sounds like a feature request for 1Password.com for individuals. :)

Even in the case of a subscription based "1Password for individuals" (like families but for a single user) there would be no proper solution for Windows, Chrome OS, or Linux, other than being able to access the vault via a web dashboard. And what I mean by no proper integration is no browser extension that types the passwords for you and captures new passwords.

That was true for 1PasswordAnywhere as well. In this regard it would be no different. That said…

This sounds like a feature request for extensions that you can in to directly with 1Password.com credentials (no app required). I'll add a vote on your behalf for this. :)

Also, in the eventual case of a "1Password for individuals" would you offer a discount to clients like myself that have already payed for your software?

We don't discuss future plans, but we have a long history of being very generous to existing users. The last paid upgrade to 1Password for Mac, for example, was 3 years ago. We've released two major upgrades and hundreds of smaller updates for free. One of the nice things about a 1Password Families subscription — and I think it's safe to assume an individual plan would work the same way, but this is pure conjecture at this stage — is that all future PAID upgrades are included FREE with your subscription. So when 1Password 12 comes out in 2020, if you still have an active subscription, you will have had every single update and upgrade FREE, even ones that non-subscribers paid for.

This discussion has been closed.