Auto-type is inconsistent, partially fills [resolved]

auto-type auto type
I tried to search the forums for others whom may be having this issue and checked the FAQ too, but I didn't find anything.

Basically my auto-type is very inconsistent with filling out the complete field, whether it's from the top button that does (username<tab>password) or if it's from the specific field (next to the copy button).

See below, I tried using the Auto-type button at the top 10 times and ended up with these results:

type: Login
username: testuser
password: D8LzFz5fKDLgtC

1: KDLgtC
2: D8LzFz5fKDLgtC
3: <tab>D8LzFz5fKDLgtC
4:
5:
6:
7: Fz5fKDLgtC
8: er<tab>D8LzFz5fKDLgtC
9:
10: fKDLgtC

Those were results when I just had notepad open, and press Auto-Type 10 times, I waited about 3-5 seconds in between each attempt, but I've also tried faster and slower, the results vary a lot, but most result in nothing being sent to the app.

I've tried it in apps too like Skype/PuTTY. I figured Notepad would be the best was to test though.

Here's the same result just clicking the password auto-type (next to the copy icon):
1: gtC
2:
3:
4:
5:
6: D8LzFz5fKDLgtC
7:
8: D8LzFz5fKDLgtC
9: D8LzFz5fKDLgtC
10: D8LzFz5fKDLgtC

Almost seems as though there's some kind of delay somewhere causing the auto-type characters to arrive in the app late, since it's mostly the end of the password that gets through, and it has never been only the beginning.

I'm running 1.0.6.202 for Windows, on Windows XP Pro. I have a desktop machine running Windows 7 and I'm not able test the behavior it at this time.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2011
    Welcome to the forum, paralogic!

I'm not able to reproduce that problem.

Here's how it works in Windows 7: http://screencast.com/t/im4b2C1nX

Here's how it works in Windows XP: http://screencast.com/t/v4aQPtarO

Note that, in XP, 1Password doesn't append a newline to the username-tab-password combined form (for the Auto-Type tool); otherwise, it's the same as in WIndows 7, and both work fine on my system.
  • paralogic
    edited July 2011
    DBrown wrote:

Welcome to the forum, paralogic!

Thanks! :)

I dunno what differences we got then, I made a capture too, dunno if it will help.

http://www.screencast.com/t/Ih9JrLZG

(Edit: changed link to better screen capture)
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Most peculiar! I can sure see it, though, so thanks for the video.

I'll ask the developer to take a look, but I'm not sure what he'll be able to do unless he can reproduce it on his own system.

If you can think of anything that might affect it (other running programs, etc.) please update the thread.
  • paralogic
    edited July 2011
    DBrown wrote:

Most peculiar! I can sure see it, though, so thanks for the video.

I'll ask the developer to take a look, but I'm not sure what he'll be able to do unless he can reproduce it on his own system.

If you can think of anything that might affect it (other running programs, etc.) please update the thread.

I found the offending service, it is ctfmon.exe, comes with MS Office, FAQ about it here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599.

When I kill the process Auto-Type works as expected.

It has something to do with the Alternative Text Input Services that are included with Microsoft Office, maybe only older versions. I run Office 2002 SP3 on my work laptop, so it's quite a bit out of date.

Hopefully that helps. I'm just going to remove ctfmon (even though I thought I already did, grrr!).

EDIT: Removing the Alternative Input Services from MS Office didn't do the trick, what actually ended up solving the issue was going to Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options (in classic view) -> Language tab -> click Details -> Advanced tab -> check in "Turn off advanced text services". Or maybe it was a combination of both. Goodluck.

Thanks for the help.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for that information, paralogic!

Sounds like you've found and documented the solution for anyone else who encounters it. (y)
This discussion has been closed.