Chrome extension causes responsiveness issues when logging into a website for the first time

I noticed this issue while testing our web application under Chrome. While testing the application I need to clear all browser data since the beginning of time, login and logout of our application. We do this over and over, which makes it easy to spot problems like this.

Upon logging into our application for the first time the 1password chrome extension problems you will be prompted to create or update a new entry within 1password. Simultaneously Chrome will offer to remember this password for you.

If you avoid interacting with either of these dialogs, and instead focus on the freshly loaded web application you will discover that single clicks will not register while double clicks will incorrectly register as single clicks. Interacting with the browser is effectively broken at this point, even if you switch between tabs.

The issue will resolve if you unfocus chrome (click on the desktop, another application, etc).

The issue only appears to affect Chrome.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kamelkev,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us here in our forums to bring this issue to our attention! I've moved your post from our Mac forum to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum so that our extension experts can weigh in.

I'm curious about this part:

Simultaneously Chrome will offer to remember this password for you.

In order to help us collect more data on this issue, I wonder if you'd mind disabling Chrome's Autofill feature, and then try this again and let us know what happens?

If you could also provide the version number of Chrome that you're using, that'd help as well. I could assume it's the latest available stable channel, but developers often use beta or dev channels, so it doesn't hurt to be precise. :)

And is the web app you're testing available to the public? If so, would you mind sharing the URL so we can test this directly?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

• kamelkev
    kamelkev
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Chrome version is 51.0.2704.103.

Not sure how to disable the specified behavior. Do you know how to do it?

The app is not publicly available at the moment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The app is not publicly available at the moment.

@kamelkev: Ah, okay. Unfortunately without being able to test it ourselves it won't really be possible for us to investigate how 1Password interacts with it and see if there's something we can do to improve 1Password.

Chrome version is 51.0.2704.103. Not sure how to disable the specified behavior. Do you know how to do it?

Vee mentioned in the previous post that this is due to Chrome's own password management being enabled. 1Password doesn't have any control over that, but if you follow the link she provided it will show you how to disable it yourself:

In order to help us collect more data on this issue, I wonder if you'd mind disabling Chrome's Autofill feature, and then try this again and let us know what happens?

However, I suspect that might not be involved in the main issue you reported:

If you avoid interacting with either of these dialogs, and instead focus on the freshly loaded web application you will discover that single clicks will not register while double clicks will incorrectly register as single clicks. Interacting with the browser is effectively broken at this point, even if you switch between tabs. The issue will resolve if you unfocus chrome (click on the desktop, another application, etc).

This is a Chrome issue affecting a limited number of 1Password users which we've been unable to make sense of thus far, so any additional details you can provide would be greatly appreciated! If you prefer, email us directly at support+forums@agilebits.com (be sure to include a link to this discussion for context) if there's information you don't want to post in public. Thanks in advance! :)

• kamelkev
    kamelkev
    Community Member

We can close this out. I've gone back and forth between the various dialog permutations, and it appears the password dialog from chrome itself is the cause of the problem.

It's not just our app that's affected, all apps relying on click events are busted. I'll file with Chrome directly.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for following up to let us know, @kamelkev. Hopefully the Chrome team can help you out with this. Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kamelkev: If you file a bug report with the Chrome team, I'd really appreciate it if you'd pass it along to us so we can track it ourselves. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.