How do I install browser extension for Safari and use it

Options
TP757
TP757
Community Member

How do you install the browser extension for 1password families on a laptop? I went to the site with the green install button and I have the icon on my safari browser and when i click it i get the error message shown in the attached screenshot. I tried to login to Facebook and wait for a screen to save the info but none came up. Also, is there information on how to use the extension to have the passwords autofill? Does it work when logging into apps on an iPhone?

1Password Version: families
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @TP757! Sorry for the confusion on the extension. It actually requires the 1Password app to be installed. You can download the app directly from here. Once you do, sign in to your 1Password Families account and you'll be all set! :) If you have any questions about the extension, our user guide is a great place to start. We're happy to help if you have any other questions though.

• TP757
    TP757
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @penderworth. Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the app so it works now. Does the password fill work for iPhone apps? I know it does for Safari on the phone but I don't think it does for the apps. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TP757,

Filling in apps is a little bit different than filling in the browser. In fact, on the desktop, we can’t do it at all. We’ve got 1Password mini to help so that it’s easy to copy and paste your sign in details, but there is no filling outside of the browser.

On iOS, we have it a little bit better, actually. The 1Password app extension can be added to any app. When a developer adds the app extension, you’ll see a lovely little 1Password icon in the sign in field, and you can tap that to access your 1Password database and have your information filled automatically for you. We’ve got a list of apps that have added the extension on our blog:

Apps that Love 1Password

If your favourite app isn’t yet on the list, you can always ask the developer nicely, and show them our developer outreach page to let them know how simple it is to add. :)

• imrieandrew
    imrieandrew
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem as TP757. I downloaded the app that penderworth linked but when I try to open it I get a message saying Safari can't open 1password 6 because no available application can open it.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @imrieandrew,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Can you confirm that 1Password 6 is in your Applications folder?

What happens when you open 1Password 6?

• imrieandrew
    imrieandrew
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your prompt response, khad. I realized I am using Mavericks and therefore version 6 would not work. I downloaded 4.4.3 and it is asking me to enter a Master Password to create a new Vault. I already have one and an Account Key from when I signed up earlier; do I just enter my previous password? If this is a whole new sign-up do I need to go back and delete my previous account? I apologize if these questions seem basic; I am not the most computer savvy person. Thank you.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@imrieandrew,

Unfortunately, support for 1Password Families is only available in 1Password 6 which requires OS X Yosemite or later. We do mention this at the bottom of the 1Password Families pricing page (under "What are the system requirements?"):

The standalone 1Password apps support OS X (Yosemite and El Capitan) and Windows 7 or newer. The mobile apps support iOS 9 and Android 4 or newer.

But I can completely understand how that could be overlooked!

Your options would be to either:

Technically, if you only had one Mac running OS X Mavericks, you could manually put some items in a vault for just that Mac, but that wouldn't be the best experience for you. And you would need to have another Mac running OS X Yosemite or later in order to properly set it up.

I'm sorry I don't have better news, but please do let me know if I can help.

This discussion has been closed.