Fields from an "identity" not populating

Options
iphoneuser
iphoneuser
Community Member
edited June 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

I make use of pre-defined "identities" in 1P to populate various web forms. For some reason, I cannot coax 1P into populating the name field in a simple form, like the Apple Feedback form (http://www.apple.com/feedback/). If I inspect the "Name" element in Safari I think the field is "customer_name". This does not appear to be a choice in the "identity" template in 1P so I define a "customer_name" field with "text" as the type but that does not work. I found very little information on "identities" in the 1P guide.
Any help getting these (simple) customizations to work would be appreciated.

_1Password Version: 6.3.1
_Extension Version: 4.5.6
_OS Version: 10.11.5
_Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iphoneuser: Since you didn't mention the specific forms you were using, I selected a few at random. As far as I can tell, there are only two fields which 1Password could potentially fill (name and email), so it seems like the usefulness would be a bit limited here. But you're right that it should be able to fill the name correctly. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

ref: BRAIN-278

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

All the Apple feedback forms are all the same for the personal info; name and email. You are correct that a 1P "identity" doesn't save you much in this case but the point is that 1P should be able to fill in these fields, at least, on this very simple form. It does fill in the email but not the name. I don't know how to edit the "identity" for this trivial example, let alone a more complicated form.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iphoneuser: Absolutely. My thought was that other sites may also use something similar to "customer_name" too. Cheers! :)

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Just to follow up on this (for the two people who have checked out the thread), I tried filling out the Apple feedback form and then selected "save new login" in 1P, submitted the form, and saved the login. Upon reopening the feedback form, the 1P saved login could fill in all of the fields including the name. However, this login could not be recognized as an "identity" by 1P (that is, I don't know how to change the type recognized by 1P). I checked in "web form details" for the saved login and the name field was "customer_name" and it was a text field obviously. I tried adding this as a new "label" in a 1P identity but 1P could still not fill in the name field (using that edited identity). So either this simple feedback page is pathological or 1P treats these text fields differently when an identity or login item is used for the filling. FYI.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, another update. I know readers are on the edge of their seats over this. I returned to the Apple Feedback page and now the saved login will not fill in the fields. I cleared cookies but that made no difference. My theory, Apple somehow obfuscates these fields so that robots can't overwhelm their feedback pages with useless submissions (unlike my submissions, which are of critical importance). So I guess I will have to manually type in my monosyllabic name from now on.
    Everybody can relax and go about their business now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So either this simple feedback page is pathological or 1P treats these text fields differently when an identity or login item is used for the filling. FYI.

@iphoneuser: The latter. 1Password uses very different logic for each filling type (Login, Identity, and Credit Card). While some folks like to save Login items to try to fill out complex non-login forms later (sweepstakes and such), this isn't something we'd ever recommend since, even when it works, it's liable to break as we make changes to Login filling methods to accommodate actual login forms. But it doesn't hurt anything to try it. :)

Okay, another update. I know readers are on the edge of their seats over this. I returned to the Apple Feedback page and now the saved login will not fill in the fields. I cleared cookies but that made no difference. My theory, Apple somehow obfuscates these fields so that robots can't overwhelm their feedback pages with useless submissions (unlike my submissions, which are of critical importance). So I guess I will have to manually type in my monosyllabic name from now on. Everybody can relax and go about their business now.

That's really interesting. It actually makes a lot of sense that they'd take such measures. I can only imagine the feedback they get! :lol:

I really appreciate you taking the time to update this with your findings, both for others trying to do something similar, and for us to keep in mind as we improve 1Password's filling going forward. Plus, it's just fun to experiment. ;)

This discussion has been closed.