Migrating data from version 1 to latest version

Hi,

I originally purchased version 1 of 1Password and am considering getting the latest version so that I can sync data between my computer (Windows 10) and several portable devices. Is there any way to migrate my data automatically from version 1 to the latest version?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @kiwimusume ,
    I've been a 1Password user for many years (Mac, IOS and Android) and never needed to migrate any data. When updating to the latest version of the Windows app, your data should still be intact.
    However, if you want to be 100% sure, sync your data with Dropbox. That way, you'll be able to access your data from any device – including your new Windows 10 installation.
    Cheers,
    Rob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kiwimusume: Ohayou! Indeed, rjh is right on: Since the current version of 1Password can use your existing vault, there's no need to migrate data. And also 1Password automatically saves backups of your data periodically, so you can restore from one of those if needed as well. Cheers! :)

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

Although the old vault will work with new 1Password, it still may be a good idea to use the new 1Password to create a new vault and cut/paste or export/import all the items from the old vault to the new vault. The reason is that the new vaults have been designed with additional security to keep up with improvements in the speed of automated password attacks. For instance, the new vaults by default have much higher iteration counts for the PBKDF2 function that scrambles the master password while computing the vault decryption key. Further, a switch to the new OPVault format could increase security even further by encrypting certain data such as URLs that the agileKeychain format stored in plain text for speed of processing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bkh: Excellent points, both about PBKDF2 and OPVault! But in both cases, there's a performance penalty involved. We're not to a point in history where AgileKeychain can be brute forced, but you're right that OPVault is even further future-proofed. :pirate: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.