1password 4 (mac) to Families

jonahkaplan
jonahkaplan
Community Member

I've searched and most convos are about windows. But how do I migrate from 4 for mac to families...? over the years I've bought 1password for mac twice, for my wife and for PC. I want to switch to subscription families. i just need to get my vault up there... how? the instructions are ONLY for latest password.

options?

thanks!
j

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: latest version of 4
OS Version: osx 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @jonahkaplan,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. Sorry for the confusion.

1Password Families uses brand new technology that wasn't built in to 1Password 4 for Mac. 1Password 4 hasn't been updated since about a year before 1Password Families debuted.

In order to use 1Password Families in 1Password for Mac, you need to be using 1Password 6. From the 1Password Families product page:

I noticed you indicated you're using OS X Mavericks. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use 1Password 6 unless you have a newer version of OS X. 1Password 6 for Mac requires technology that Apple didn't introduce until OS X Yosemite.

If that Mac is only a secondary Mac for you, you might consider just using 1Password.com on that Mac. If it's your primary Mac, you might want to consider a single version license until you are able to upgrade OS X.

I hope that helps clarify things. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

• jonahkaplan
    jonahkaplan
    Community Member

thanks for response. can i update OS, download 1PW 6 then IMPORT my old vault and then send up to families?

i guess the question is can i import my 1PW4 vault into 1PW6?

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @jonahkaplan , I can answer that question for you until one of thebAgileBits team crawls out of bed.
    When you update from 1Password 4 to 6, your password data will automatically be found by the new version. You can then copy the data to your new 1Password Families vault.
    I hope that helps.
    Cheers,
    Rob

• jonahkaplan
    jonahkaplan
    Community Member

it does Rob. thanks I'm all set

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jonahkaplan,

I'm glad to hear that Rob's idea helped you, and that you are now enjoying 1Password Families! If you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with, we're always here for you! :chuffed:

• jonahkaplan
    jonahkaplan
    Community Member

i don't understand something. now i have personal and shared and everything, but still have a 'primary' that has nothing in it...

1 - is that the way it should be? i basically want my 'personal' to BE my primary.
    2 - can personal - the one that is syncing with families - be used offline on phones/laptops etc?

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi once more @jonahkaplan ,
    Your Primary Vault is your local vault on your Mac and accesses your offline data.
    Your Personal Vault is the [primary] vault on the 1Password servers and while it is accessible while you are offline, any changes you make will only be updated when you have an internet connection again.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jonahkaplan,

I'm sorry that all this can get a bit confusing, but we're here to help! If you don't want to keep an empty primary vault you can get rid of it! You only need to go to Preferences in 1Password, and click on advanced. At the bottom you should be able to see the option "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password Accounts", if you uncheck it your primary vault will be gone.

About your second question, Rob has covered it, The data that you've stored on your Personal and Shared Accounts will remain accesible on your devices even when you are offline. Changes will only appear once you've been able to connect to the internet again.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.