creating a valid login for verizon.com

Hi folks,

First of all, compliments on a great product. After using 1Password as a trial for awhile, I just made the purchase in the past week. The design and usability is very good, and it also seems like you have a strong customer service mentality. I've seen a lot of helpful answers in these forums.

Unfortunately, there are just a few sites (out of more than 90) which I just cannot get 1Password to work on. Here's my question:

I haven't been able to create a login which works for Verizon, even after exhaustively reading the user manual, reading many postings on these forums about creating Verizon logins, etc. Could one of you help me find what I'm missing?

Here's all the additional detail:

I tried letting 1Password auto-save a login for me in Firefox 47.0. It created the login - but the login never worked; it would not even populate the user name field at all.

After searching, I found these links:

https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/
 https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/95487/#Comment_95487

This looked promising, so I tried manually creating a login that way. Same issue. The 1Password extension in Firefox would not populate the login screen - would not even fill in the user name. This was true regardless of how I tried to navigate:

1 - Saying "open in Firefox" from the main 1Password program - would navigate to the login page but wouldn't populate the user name.
2 - Manually navigating to the login page in Firefox, and then pressing ctrl-. Same deal. Does not populate the user name.
3 - From the Firefox extension, selecting the login and trying to login that way.

The same issue exists in Chrome, so it's not browser-specific.

Next, I tried using different Verizon login pages, thinking maybe a construct on one page was the problem:

https://www.verizon.com/home/myverizon/
https://myverizonid.verizon.com/amserver/UI/Login

... and I think a few others. Same behavior on all login pages.

At this point, the time I've expended trying to get this one login to work probably exceeds the time I'd spend manually logging in to Verizon each month, but... (a) I'd just like to understand how to get this to work, and (b) If I can get this to work, maybe it will help me on other sites in the future, and other folks as well.

Any ideas?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi folks, First of all, compliments on a great product. After using 1Password as a trial for awhile, I just made the purchase in the past week. The design and usability is very good, and it also seems like you have a strong customer service mentality. I've seen a lot of helpful answers in these forums.

@AgileForum1: Wow! Thank you for the kind words! I'll do my best to leave you with a similar impression here. No Pressure! :lol:

Unfortunately, there are just a few sites (out of more than 90) which I just cannot get 1Password to work on. Here's my question: I haven't been able to create a login which works for Verizon, even after exhaustively reading the user manual, reading many postings on these forums about creating Verizon logins, etc. Could one of you help me find what I'm missing? [...] and I think a few others. Same behavior on all login pages.

That's encouraging, but I think we can do better. I have an idea of what's going on here. A lot has changed on Verizon's site since the days when I was a subscriber, and I'm not sure it's for the better! :lol:

At this point, the time I've expended trying to get this one login to work probably exceeds the time I'd spend manually logging in to Verizon each month, but... (a) I'd just like to understand how to get this to work, and (b) If I can get this to work, maybe it will help me on other sites in the future, and other folks as well. Any ideas?

Indeed, that's incredibly frustrating! After spending some time testing this myself, I suspect I have a sense for what you're going through. I've think I've found a workaround for you.

Now, I just want to be clear that everything you've done so far has been exactly right (troubleshooting, support info)...with one exception: you probably should have contacted us sooner, rather than suffering in silence! ;)

In this particular case, it turns out that using the extension to save a login for the site is less effective than creating one by hand in the app. This is not typical, and definitely not something we want people to have to do, but you can follow these steps to get a more useful login:

1. Navigate to your preferred login page — I used https://auth.verizon.com/amserver/UI/Login
    2. Copy the URL
    3. Open the main 1Password app
    4. Create a new Login item
    5. Paste the URL into the "website" field
    6. Enter your username and password

This is not ideal so I've filed bugs for this to see if there's something we can do to improve 1Password's skills here. In the mean time, this appears to fill on both steps of the login process. Let me know if this helps! :)

ref: OPX-1200, OPX-1201

• AgileForum1
    AgileForum1
    Community Member

Brenty, thanks for the quick response, and on a Saturday, no less - much appreciated!

I tried your workaround, and it works! It also has the benefit of being actually a lot simpler than the "create multi-page login" procedure described on the 1Password support site (the link is in my original post).

Although the workaround works, I'll just mention a quirk I noticed in it, since you mentioned you had filed bugs - maybe this will help the developers:

When I "open in Firefox" from the main 1Password application, using the Verizon link you mentioned above, and using the new login created using your procedure, 1Password does fill in the user name successfully... and then Verizon shows a pop-up saying "please fill in user name" (or similar). The pop-up disappears in a second or two, without my having to do anything, and then navigates to the password page, where I can select the login from the Firefox extension to fill in the password. So, not a problem, and the workaround is a good one, just letting you know in case this pop-up oddity helps the team to troubleshoot a longer-term fix.

Thank you again for the quick answer! Have a good weekend.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Brenty, thanks for the quick response, and on a Saturday, no less - much appreciated!

@AgileForum1: Well, for me it was still "Friday", but you're welcome all the same. Happy to help! :chuffed:

I tried your workaround, and it works! It also has the benefit of being actually a lot simpler than the "create multi-page login" procedure described on the 1Password support site (the link is in my original post).

Indeed, thank for pointing that out! I find that it's a bit of a bother to create a login by hand in the app, but you're right that doing so is less of a bother than having to manage multiple login items for a multi-step process like this! "Always look on the bight side of life!" ;)

Although the workaround works, I'll just mention a quirk I noticed in it, since you mentioned you had filed bugs - maybe this will help the developers:
    When I "open in Firefox" from the main 1Password application, using the Verizon link you mentioned above, and using the new login created using your procedure, 1Password does fill in the user name successfully... and then Verizon shows a pop-up saying "please fill in user name" (or similar). The pop-up disappears in a second or two, without my having to do anything, and then navigates to the password page, where I can select the login from the Firefox extension to fill in the password. So, not a problem, and the workaround is a good one, just letting you know in case this pop-up oddity helps the team to troubleshoot a longer-term fix. Thank you again for the quick answer! Have a good weekend.

Ah, I noticed that too. What appears to be happening is that 1Password is also trying to interact with the hidden popup login form (in the upper right) and the site doesn't like that. Sorry for not mentioning that! I just figured you'd be happy to have it working, but you're right that seeing that is disorienting at first. Hopefully we'll be able to find a way to improve this overall in the future, but I'm glad to hear that's going to do the trick for you i the mean time. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.