A couple of document questions...

Options

I apologize in advance if this is addressed somewhere. I did some looking through the forum, but couldn't find anything obvious. Also for reasons not worth going into, I'm working today on about 6 hours sleep for the last 3 days. Please take that into account if I seem to be rambling or even incoherent...

Love the new Team features. In the process of moving multiple family dropbox vaults over to a "single" teams account.

The documents feature really threw me off at first, as it added to the "all items" count when I would migrate items over from a local vault -- I would verify a "block" of 12 items, select all 12, copy to my Teams vault, and the "all items" count would go up by 17 because 5 of the items had attached documents.

Q1) I was wondering about a setting to exclude attached documents (different from documents "directly" uploaded to 1P) from the all items list and/or the documents list entirely. If I've attached a document to an item (say a registration email for software), I really prefer to see that document only when I look up that specific item.

Q2) I've noticed that when I delete an item that has an attached document, the attached document isn't deleted from the documents folder. If attached documents are going to be duplicated in the documents folder, I think there should at least be a question -- should the corresponding document also be deleted?

As i noted above, I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.0.1 (601003) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• ssoroka
    ssoroka
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @JimClark

Thanks for the 1Password for Teams love :)

Re Q1) I don't think there's any specific way to do that currently. While I agree it's somewhat confusing right now, I think the change from attachments to documents is going to allow us to do interesting things going forward. I'll see if I can get a conversation going around your suggestion to hide documents that are already linked to an item though. That could be interesting.

Re Q2) I like that suggestion, I'll pass it on to the team. :)

I appreciate the feedback, you are amazingly coherent for 6 hours sleep in 3 days. I may need some tips.

Thanks! Steven

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member
    Options

I want to enthusiastically :+1: @JimClark 's suggestion! I had an item with 6 associated PDF files. Once I discovered that the documents remained I had to find the item in the trash, find out the names of the documents, and then find them alphabetically one by one to delete. It would be great when deleting an item to have a pop up question on whether to delete any associated documents.,

I can imagine with less experienced team members a lot of old documents accumulating over time.

With the current software MY USER SOLUTION for anyone interested: Create smaller vaults to store documents for specific purposes. Then when that purpose is no longer needed, delete the whole vault which will clean up all those documents. This will have the added benefit of better organizing things and all the extra burden will be on the admin rather than the less experienced users. :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hesspaul ,

Thanks so much for sharing your solution here! I was never a big user of the 'attachments' feature in the 1Password apps, but I think the new way of adding Documents (which don't actually have to be linked to an item of another type) opens up a lot of exciting possibilities. Since this is a whole new way of doing things for us, we'll likely be refining the feature over the coming while, and your feedback on what you find useful is really helpful. :)

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Followup for anyone watching this discussion: Making multiple vaults for special temporary purposes is a big winner. Prior to the Teams/Families version I had trained myself to use as few vaults as possible since each one was an added burden to set up syncing, sharing, and in supporting less technical people who I shared it with. With the new version now it's a breeze, and centrally managed in your admin panel.

Once the special purpose is gone, simply copy any items you want to preserve into one of your more permanent vaults, then delete the entire special purpose vault. Cleans it up for you AND all your teammates. And overall clutter is down. I haven't tried the guest feature in real world use yet but I expect that will make this solution even more betterer! ;-)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hesspaul thanks for sharing how that's worked out for you! I can definitely relate to using as few vaults as possible before I signed up for 1Password Families (which is the same basic concept as 1Password Teams) and started to categorize things a little better :)

This discussion has been closed.