How to Update 1Password when using attached backup drive

Options
abavetta1
abavetta1
Community Member

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to maintain a backup copy of my internal hard drive on an external hard drive attached to my iMac. 1Password thinks I have 2 copies of the program running and won't update until after I eject the backup drive. Is there a better way of handling this problem?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:can't update

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @abavetta1,

It looks like you used your email address as your forum username. I changed that to abavetta1 (abavetta was already taken) so your email address isn't displayed in these public forums. If you'd like to change your username to something else, please let us know, and we'll be glad to help you with that! :)

I'm sorry for any confusion about the warning message you see when updating 1Password! We started showing that warning because some people run into a problem trying to open the 1Password app if OS X (launchd) finds another copy of it somewhere (including on connected drives). Basically, when you open 1Password, it asks launchd to open 1Password mini - but if launchd finds multiple copies of the app, it often tries to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini (even if we try to specify the right one). If that happens, you won't be able to open 1Password. We have more information about that here: If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

This is an issue in Yosemite and El Capitan and must be fixed by Apple on the OS level, so we have no control over that except to warn users in advance about how to avoid the problem. However, the problem is a bit random, so some customers don't experience it at all. That's why we included the Update Anyway button. If you haven't run into this problem before, and you don't want to delete the copy of the 1Password app from your backup drive or exclude it from future backups, you can simply click Update Anyway. If the copy of 1Password on your backup drive hasn't been a problem before, there's a good chance it will continue to work correctly.

I hope that helps explain why that's happening, but if you have more questions or need help, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.