Misc beta issues (vault name changed, no edit option, unresponsive at launch, window position)

Options
zendnez
zendnez
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows
  1. My vault is a DropBox-hosted OPVault called "Shared". At some point, 1Password started displaying it as "default" instead of Shared. Because of other issues I was having, I decided to remove and re-add the vault, so I no longer have it in that state. After remove and re-add it's showing up correctly as "Shared".
  2. I can't edit or create any items in my vault. When viewing an item, the "Edit" button is disabled. The "Add" button is always disabled. Is this a known issue?
  3. After launching and unlocking my vault, it takes about 18 seconds before clicking an item in the item list causes the details of that item to be displayed. I timed it. The item list shows up right away, it's just not responsive to clicks. This is an OPVault with 580 items. I assume this is because the app is syncing against DropBox or doing some other maintenance task during this time. 18 seconds is a really long time. 1Password4 takes longer to initially open (assume this is because it's decrypting stuff in the local DropBox folder) but items are clickable within 4 secs of entering the vault password.
  4. I know you guys are well aware that you aren't saving / restoring window positions. I have a WQHD (3440 x 1440). When I launch 1Password beta the window currently opens with a size of 2566 x 1022 pixels. It's massive. I know it's real work to save / restore window positions given multi-monitor setups and such. I wonder, though, if you'd consider a short-term option of setting some maximum width / height that a new window won't exceed. At least that way, even if you always use that size and you always center the window, I would be able to move it out of the way versus having to always resize it down and then move it. I also think this would be a good thing for first-run experience since I really doubt you want the first run to open that big on large monitors.

Keep the updates coming! While it still feels like a fully usable replacement (OTP, custom fields in views, attachments, etc.) is a ways off, it's great to see the progress you're making!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1.My vault is a DropBox-hosted OPVault called "Shared". At some point, 1Password started displaying it as "default" instead of Shared. Because of other issues I was having, I decided to remove and re-add the vault, so I no longer have it in that state. After remove and re-add it's showing up correctly as "Shared".

@zendnez: That's very odd. If the issue recurs, be sure to let us know!

2.I can't edit or create any items in my vault. When viewing an item, the "Edit" button is disabled. The "Add" button is always disabled. Is this a known issue?

1Password 6 is focused on 1Password Families/Teams since a native Windows client is needed, and local vaults are only supported in read-only mode. We'll be expanding support for local vaults a future version though.

3.After launching and unlocking my vault, it takes about 18 seconds before clicking an item in the item list causes the details of that item to be displayed. I timed it. The item list shows up right away, it's just not responsive to clicks. This is an OPVault with 580 items.

Thanks for reporting this! Obviously it will vary, so it's another data point. We'll be improving performance as we continue to develop the new app.

4.I wonder, though, if you'd consider a short-term option of setting some maximum width / height that a new window won't exceed. At least that way, even if you always use that size and you always center the window, I would be able to move it out of the way versus having to always resize it down and then move it.

I'm not sure what size would be okay as a default for everyone, but it's certainly something we can consider...though I think that preserving the window state would be even better. ;)

Keep the updates coming! While it still feels like a fully usable replacement (OTP, custom fields in views, attachments, etc.) is a ways off, it's great to see the progress you're making!

Thanks for participating in the beta, and sharing your criticism and encouragement! :chuffed:

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty wrote "1Password 6 is focused on 1Password Families/Teams since a native Windows client is needed, and local vaults are only supported in read-only mode."

Did this just change? Hasn't this beta supported editing local entries?

On the window size thing : I think what I'm really suggesting is that you have a smarter algorithm for selecting a window size for the first-run experience. The window is massive right now - fills probably around 3/4 vertical and horizontal space of every monitor I've run it on (including my 34" widescreen). Fixing that would be a good thing whether or not you save/restore window position. It would also reduce the urgency of writing the save/restore code.

Thanks for your responses :)

• cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @zendnez - it is not that "odd" - it happened to me as well. And was recognized as a change from the support team. Reference this thread to learn more: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/310965

Doing what you did is correct @zendnez.

In terms of #3, it is a known issue as I have an open ticket with them about it. Reference this thread. My vault is not nearly as large as yours is - but I have the same issues. Never timed it though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty wrote "1Password 6 is focused on 1Password Families/Teams since a native Windows client is needed, and local vaults are only supported in read-only mode." Did this just change? Hasn't this beta supported editing local entries?

@zendnez: 1Password 6 for Windows (and its forebears, 1Password for Windows Modern and 1Password for Windows 10) has never supported editing local vaults. Local vaults are supported at this time only because it's necessary in some cases to migrate data from one to a 1Password Account — and that's not something that can be done with the web interface. it's something we plan on adding eventually, but we have a lot of other work to do first. :fearful:

On the window size thing : I think what I'm really suggesting is that you have a smarter algorithm for selecting a window size for the first-run experience. The window is massive right now - fills probably around 3/4 vertical and horizontal space of every monitor I've run it on (including my 34" widescreen). Fixing that would be a good thing whether or not you save/restore window position. It would also reduce the urgency of writing the save/restore code. Thanks for your responses :)

Absolutely! But I really, really don't want an algorithm deciding my window size for me, so I'm looking forward to saved window states. ;)

it is not that "odd" - it happened to me as well. And was recognized as a change from the support team.

@cwanja: I'm still going to call it "odd", because so far I think you are the only two to report it. :lol:

Doing what you did is correct @zendnez. In terms of #3, it is a known issue as I have an open ticket with them about it. Reference this thread. My vault is not nearly as large as yours is - but I have the same issues. Never timed it though.

Indeed, you're both doing the right thing by bringing up these issues! After all, that's why we wanted to make this a public beta! Even when they are "known issues", it's helpful to get a sense of the extent to which people are being affected by them so we can prioritize our development efforts. Thank you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.