Migrated to family plan - delete primary vault?

mmmbbb
mmmbbb
Community Member

I migrated to a family plan, copying the "primary" vault from my desktop 1password into the "personal" vault of my family plan. How do I remove the primary vault from my 1password installation on my mac (& chrome toolbar)? It now has two password entries for every site (one in personal, one in family) - I only need one.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:remove primary vault after migrating to family plan

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @mmmbbb , those double entries can be confusing, can't they. However, you don't need to delete anything to make them dissapear. At present, you are seeing the content of 'All Vaults'. If you check the very top left corner of your 1Password window, you will see that setting. Click on the entry and move the mouse down to display the vault you wish to view - or hit command+1/command+2 etc. On the keyboard.
    Hope this helps - if not, I'm sure one of the AgileBits team will be along soon
    Cheers,
    Rob

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@mmmbbb good question! Since you've moved everything out of the Primary vault, you can get rid of it by going to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" and unchecking the box next to it. Then just follow any on-screen instructions and voila! Now you can use 1Password for Mac and 1Password Families without any pesky duplicates.

You could also do what Rob said and remove the Primary vault from All Vaults. Just make sure that if you leave it there you set the vault used to save new items to your Personal vault by going to 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults > Vault for Saving and selecting Personal. That way you don't have to worry about new items being saved in the all-but-defunct Primary vault if you decide to keep it around :)

• SoftAllan
    SoftAllan
    Community Member

I have the same problem with double up on the items (200+) on my iPhone. Thanks @rjh for the suggestion but selecting just one Vault would not work for me. I have two Vaults at my Family account at the moment and probably more to come :)

The solution that @nmott showed does not seem to apply for the iPhone app version 6.4.2. Anyone have another approach to delete the Primary account on the iPhone app?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SoftAllan,

You have two options here. The easiest one is to "hide" the extra vault: you can decide which vaults you want to display in "All Vaults" by going to Settings > Vaults > All Vaults and then turning off Primary. While you'd still be able to select it if you ever need it, you won't see it on a regular basis. In addition to that, the information will still be there in case you missed to copy something.

If you're sure you've moved everything to your account and there's nothing left on your local vaults that you need to save, then you can simply delete 1Password from your phone and install it again. Remember to have your QR code handy when you do this so you can set up 1Password easily!

Please let us know how this goes for you and if you have any other questions that we can help you with :chuffed:

• SoftAllan
    SoftAllan
    Community Member

Hi @Pilar.

Excellent! I selected option two :) When I copied all my items to the Family account I checked that the number of items at the account and at the phone to be the same. Since they were the same count I believe that I have copied all information to the Family account so making the uninstall and reinstall sounded like the right thing to do. And it works perfectly, thanks :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SoftAllan,

I'm glad to hear that it went well! I personally would have chosen the second option too, I like to keep my devices as "tidy" as I can! If there's anything else that we can help you with, don't hesitate to ask, we're always here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.