1Password 4.6 for Windows Migrate to Family Account + General Questions

Options
ghost900
ghost900
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Families

I'm an existing 1Password user with a 1Password 4.6 license. I just bought the family account to get my wife onboard, and now want to get my 1password 4.6 data into my family account.

Some simple questions to which I have not been able to find the answers

1) How do I link my 1Password 4.6 License to my family account?
2) How do I get data out of 1Password 4.6 into my family account?
3) How does 1Password for families differ from the standalone product? One of the great things about the standalone product is that I can sync the password database to my dropbox account or not use dropbox at all and just keep it locally. Does 1Password for families store credentials on the 1Password servers?

1Password Version: 4.6 License, Family Subscription
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ghost900
    ghost900
    Community Member
    Options

Just signed up for the family account and tried to download 1Password Beta for windows 10 (the only windows app available on family plan).

I'm not able to download 1Password Beta due to the message : 1Password Beta is not currently available.

Absolutely defeats the purpose to buy a family subscription to get all the apps if all the apps are not available?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• ghost900
    ghost900
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

I'm glad to hear that you're giving 1Password Families a try!

How do I link my 1Password 4.6 License to my family account?

You don't. 1Password Families subscriptions include access to all of the latest-and-greatest 1Password apps.

How do I get data out of 1Password 4.6 into my family account?

I saw that you're having trouble downloading 1Password from the Windows Store. At this point I'd recommend downloading the version of 1Password 6 for Windows that's available directly from us. It's also in beta, which means it's not quite as stable as 1Password 4, but we're hard at work on improving it as often as we can.

Once you've done that, you'll want to import your vault from 1Password 4 into 1Password 6. Then follow the steps outlined in this tutorial, under the Windows section: https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/

How does 1Password for families differ from the standalone product?

In quite a few ways! Some of the high level ones: 1Password Families offers simple and secure sharing; access to your data via 1Password.com; free upgrades to new 1Password apps; and added security via the Account Key used to protect your information. It's also a subscription service rather than a one-time purchase.

Does 1Password for families store credentials on the 1Password servers?

Yes. But everything is end-to-end encrypted so AgileBits (and anyone else) can't access the information saved in your vaults without your Master Password and Account Key. Storing the information ourselves enables many of the features -- like browser access and simple sharing -- that people were asking for when we decided to make 1Password Families and 1Password Teams :)

• ghost900
    ghost900
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thank you for the detailed response. I have finally gotten around to installing 1Password 6 - had some initial problems getting the app up and running, but after a reboot it's working now.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ghost900,

On behalf of nmott, you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear it's all working now for you. If you have any other questions or there's anything else that we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask :chuffed:

• ghost900
    ghost900
    Community Member
    Options

I might have spoken a bit too soon.

I'm unable to sign in using 1password6 using my account key, account url and master password.

However, using the same credentials on 1password for mac and the web is fine.

Please advise - is this a known issue?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ghost900 does your Master Password use any special characters, and have you made sure that Windows and OS X are set to the same input source? Every once in a while there's a discrepancy in how the two platforms interpret certain characters, or settings between devices aren't the same, which results in problems with the Master Password even though you've typed it in correctly.

• ghost900
    ghost900
    Community Member
    Options

I've managed to solve the problem by uninstalling 1Password4, rebooting and trying again.

Also managed to export the credentials into the family account.

All sorted now.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ghost900 awesome! I'm glad to hear it. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with :)

This discussion has been closed.