How do I start using my existing 1Password account (Windows laptop) on my Samsung Note 5?

Options
omnipop
omnipop
Community Member

How do I start using my existing 1Password account (purchased on my Windows laptop) on my Samsung Note 5? Would it be a separate purchase? Or am I entitled one installation for a phone? All I ever see are instructions for setting up a new Android account, or else syncing with Dropbox, etc. Is that what I need to do?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:laptop

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @omnipop ,
    Synchronising your Android device with your Windows laptop is really a simple process, you can follow these steps:

• Set 1Passwords on your laptop to synchronise with Dropbox.
    • You can then download the 1Password app for Android and repeat the process.

If you should bump into any problems, just ask away here — someone from the AgileBits team will always be able to help.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@omnipop: Indeed, you just need to install 1Password for Android from the Google Play store. It's a free download, with an in-app purchase if you want to permanently unlock the Pro Features. And, as rjh mentioned, you can use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data between devices automatically. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• omnipop
    omnipop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. I did manage to get all my logins and cards to show up in the Android version. The problem is, when I click on a login like, for example, Discover, it takes me to the right login page, but it doesn't then automatically pop the info into the boxes like on my laptop. What do I need to do to get it going? I used Wi-Fi sync to transfer the data from my laptop, btw.

Also, some sites - like Bank of America - have a slightly different address for their login page when I'm on the phone rather than the laptop. I was going to tweak it for the phone version but I don't see an option (on the Android version) to amend the address for a particular login. Plus, wouldn't I then have to change it back when I use the laptop?

And lastly, on the laptop it's so easy to just right-click in a form field (even a new, unfamiliar form) and choose "1Password" from the context menu and access my 1Password "Identities"; whereas on the phone I can't find any such context menu, so I'm just sitting here without a clue how to proceed. I like how 1Password (on the laptop) kind of "helps you out" by prompting you with a "Do you want to save this login?" dialog box. I was expecting the same sort of thing with the Android version, so I could at least go ahead and log in manually, and then have 1Password just pop up like that, and save it that way. But as yet, 1Password never really does anything unless I manually start the app itself. In other words, it's not really acting like a browser plugin.

By the way, I should mention, I'm using Firefox as my phone browser.

I'd appreciate any more insights. Thanks.

• peri
    Options

Hi @omnipop. Mobile browsers don't work quite the same way as their desktop counterparts, so there's no mobile version of the 1Password browser extension that will save and fill the same way you're used to on Windows. Instead of being prompted when visiting a site, you'll need to manually save Logins according to these instructions:
    Android - https://support.1password.com/guides/android/create-items.html

For automatic filling on Android, we have a custom keyboard and accessibility service. You can find step-by-step instructions for enabling and using the keyboard for filling here:
    https://support.1password.com/android-keyboard/

That said, you mentioned that you use Firefox on Android. Firefox obfuscates URLs for sites, so that 1Password isn't able to detect URLs for the websites you're visiting when using the mobile Firefox browser. This means that automatic filling won't be available, and you'll need to manually fill instead. To do so, tap the 1Password button on the 1Password keyboard and hold it for a second. This will bring up your list of Logins and allow you to search for the correct one. Once you've selected it, tap the username field and tap Fill username, and then tap the password field and tap Fill password.

We don't currently have support for filling Identities or other categories using the 1Password keyboard, but we do have an open issue regarding this and I'll add your vote.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.