Alfred 3 and 1password v3.8.22 - one click bookmarks not working after alfred upgrade...

After i upgraded recently from Alfred 2 to Alfred 3, 1Password one click bookmarks no longer work in Alfred - says unable to find 1Password data...

i am running 1pw 3.8.22 in Mavericks and for various reasons do not want to upgrade to a later version of 1pw. (am running later 1pw versions on other machines but don't want to upgrade on this one yet)

wondering where is the 1pw data for v 3.8.22 so i can manually set the path in Alfred so the bookmarks work as were when i was running Alfred 2.

Thanks

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.9.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:alfred 3

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bunker,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble making 1Password and Alfred play nicely together.

Your data path in 1Password 3 is variable - it could be wherever you set it to be. So the best way to find it is to look in 1Password's Preferences > General tab. That will give you the file path so that you can point Alfred to it.

I hope this helps, but if you have further questions, you know where to find us. :)

• bunker
    bunker
    Community Member

I am running 1pw 3.8.22.

——————————

I have the 1password data in a dropbox folder:

Users/Myname/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/

——————————

Is that where Alfred 2 would have been going to get bookmark data when all working well with Alfred 2?.

So if manually enter that file path into Alfred 3 preferences, then all should work well re: bookmarks?

Thanks for your help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the extra info @bunker.

Is that where Alfred 2 would have been going to get bookmark data when all working well with Alfred 2?.

Yep, unless Alfred 2 was picking up 1Password data from some other Agile Keychain.

So if manually enter that file path into Alfred 3 preferences, then all should work well re: bookmarks?

You can try manually entering a path to it like:

Here's how that screen looks in Alfred 2:

I don't know if Alfred 3 supports reading 1Password data from an Agile Keychain; it doesn't mention anything about 1Password 3 or a keychain path.

If you can't get it working I recommend contacting the fine folks at Running with Crayons for more assistance:

Alfred Help and Support

They'll know for sure where Alfred 3 can read 1Password data from to use for its 1Password 1Click Bookmarks feature. If still from an Agile Keychain they can help you figure out how to make it work. I hope it's resolved soon!

• bunker
    bunker
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate that!

your comments all make sense - i guess need to figure out if Alfred 3 can read from an Agile Keychain.

sounds like in v3.8.22 all the 1pw data would be in the keychain.

In later versions of 1pw , that is not the case i believe.

• bunker
    bunker
    Community Member

FYI, i had reached out to Alfred team re: this issue. below is what i got back from them. sounds like i won't be able to use Alfred 3 with 1pw 3.8.22 since I am running Mavericks.... welcome any further thoughts you might have. thanks again for your help

——————————

Alfred 3 works on OS X 10.9 and above, Agile Bits only supports 1Password 3 as a legacy version on OS X 10.6 and 10.7

https://agilebits.com/downloads#legacy_versions

...as such Alfred 3 doesn't integrate with versions of 1Password which are no longer relevant. This allows Alfred's interactions with 1Password to be in the most secure and updated way possible provided by Agile Bits' new 3rd party integration. This is the only method that Agile Bits now support for apps like Alfred to integrate with 1Password.

——————————

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bunker: It's a bit confusing, but while 1Password 3 isn't officially supported on Mavericks, it works just fine there, and does right up through Yosemite. El Capitan, however, breaks it in a few ways that make it unusable.

But they're right in that 1Password 4 is more appropriate for Mavericks, since it was developed with it in mind. But while 1Password 4 contains a number of improvements to the app and browser integration, 3rd party app integration is the same as 1Password 3. I'd encourage you to condor upgrading 1Password (and OS X) to take advantage of improvements made in the intervening years, but not doing so shouldn't prevent Alfred (or other apps) from working with it. You may want to ignore the question of version entirely and just see if Alfred 3 is able to read from an AgileKeychain as sjk suggested, and if it needs the data to be in a particular location.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hey @bunker,

It looks like your only option for using 1Password 1Click Bookmarks with Alfred 3 is to upgrade 1Password (and maybe OS X as well), although you originally mentioned:

i am running 1pw 3.8.22 in Mavericks and for various reasons do not want to upgrade to a later version of 1pw. (am running later 1pw versions on other machines but don't want to upgrade on this one yet)

I'm not sure if brenty misunderstood or missed info in the response from the Alfred team, that says:

...as such Alfred 3 doesn't integrate with versions of 1Password which are no longer relevant.

In this case, 'no longer relevant' would refer to 1Password 3 because 1Password 4 (and later) can generate the 3rd party integration file that Alfred 3 requires for 1Password 1Click Bookmarks (now that Agile Keychain integration, available in Alfred 2, has been removed). Or it's me who's confused if that's not what they meant. :wink:

Of course you can continue using 1Password 3 and Alfred 2. Or use Alfred 3 without support for 1Password 1Click Bookmarks until upgrading 1Password.

Must say I'm curious why you prefer not to upgrade 1Password on the Mac that's running Mavericks since you're running later versions on other systems and should already have a license (or purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store). That's a less drastic than upgrading the operating system. :)

Wish I knew and could suggest some way to retain 1Password 1Click Bookmarks usage with Alfred 3 without also upgrading to at least 1Password 4. Sorry about that limitation!

• bunker
    bunker
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies.

——————————

yes seems like a question for Alfred team re: can Alfred 3 read from an AgileKeychain.

——————————

Re: not upgrading from 1pw v3 - i'm not sure i fully recall why i have been reluctant (aside from i like the "look" of v3 more than later versions) - and my reasons may no longer be valid.

iphone related: i think one related to sync with iphone / version of iphone app - was there (or maybe still is) a cost to sync with iphone app (i.e., with v3.8.22 on Mac and v3.7.2 on iphone, sync was working fine - and did not cost anything - either to buy a newer version of iphone 1pw app and / or some kind of recurring cost to enable sync)?

may also have had to do with my iphone / what operating system i was running on it and what version of 1pw app would work on that iphone operating system - and sync with Mac 1pw desktop app..

Mac related: i ran snow leopard for a long time - never went to Lion, Mountain Lion - and eventually skipped those and went to Mavericks. have not upgraded beyond that given that i 'm using a MacBook Pro from 2009 - wary of going to el capitan even though apple says el capitan will run fine on my machine.. So think some of the later versions of 1pw would not run on snow leopard so while running SL upgrading not an option - and have been happy with v3 so saw no need to upgrade when finally did go mavericks...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @bunker.

Re: not upgrading from 1pw v3 - i'm not sure i fully recall why i have been reluctant (aside from i like the "look" of v3 more than later versions) - and my reasons may no longer be valid.

Thanks for taking time to explain all those reasons! They're valid enough for me. :)

The Pro features page explains features they offer beyond the basics in 1Password for iOS.

I've been satisfied running El Capitan running on a 2007 MacBook Pro and 2009 Mac mini. Neither will run macOS Sierra so I'd rather they be 'stuck' at El Capitan than any earlier releases that won't be supported as long (e.g. with security updates).

Let us know if you get inspired to upgrade and we can help you sort out the details depending on which hardware and OS versions are involved.

Have a great week!

• bunker
    bunker
    Community Member

Wow - El Capitan on a 2007 MacBook Pro with no problems... that's good. maybe i should make the leap of faith and upgrade with my 2009 MacBook Pro...

i'll have to at some point look further into all the permutations of Mac / iOS operating systems and 1pw versions on my different machines and figure out what makes sense...

does sound like should probably update 1pw on the old MacBook Pro at some point (especially once i sort out implications for syncing with iphone)

Thanks to everyone at 1pw for all the help / input on this situation. Much appreciated

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of sjk and the rest of the team, you are quite welcome! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.