1PasswordAnywhere does not work anymore on Dropbox.com [This has been phased out]

Options
sochoc
sochoc
Community Member
edited May 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I haven't made any changes to my Dropbox but the 1Password Anywhere HTML link brought me to this error 'Problem loading 1Password data file. A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.' How do I get the key data file back to use 1Password Anywhere?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:key data file 1password anywhere, kb:browser-extension, kb-search:key data file 1password anywhere, kb-search:1password anywhere, kb:full-dropbox-access

Comments

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @sochoc,

I don't know if you noticed the pinned thread on top but 1PasswordAnywhere as of today is no longer going to work. Please read this thread for more information: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere/p1

• sochoc
    sochoc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT ,

I missed that announcement! That is too bad. I'm sure like a lot of other people the reason I used 1Password Anywhere was because on my work machine they do not let me download Dropbox onto my computer so the 1Password Chrome App is useless. I'm sure a lot of other people have this problem since IT departments don't allow file sharing programs like Dropbox to be downloaded onto company machines. 1Password Anywhere was a lot easier to use than the Android app when I am at work. I just wanted to let you know the scenario and see if you had any suggestions? Thanks!

• Hi @sochoc,

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion.

We do understand that more than a few users are in the same position and 1PasswordAnywhere was a convenient way to access your 1Password data in corporate/institutional environments.

There are a couple of possible solutions, the best of them being 1Password for Families, since it not only allows you to simply access the data anywhere but also edit it in your webbrowser if necessary.

Alternatively, if you wish to stick with the locally synced vault model, you could install 1Password on your work machine and carry a copy of your vault file to the PC when you make changes to the vault on your personal PC or Android device.
    It won't be a synced solution but more convenient than 1PasswordAnywhere.

I hope this helps!

• nbmacfarlane
    nbmacfarlane
    Community Member
    Options

I log into drop box on a computer where I don't have 1password installed but require access to a password. When I click on the 1Password.html link as usual, it doesn't take me to the vault. This was working fine last week. If I go through the history of the file, I get to a screen that looks like the vault in the background but display the error: "A problem occurred when loading the "data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file." The encryptionKeys.js file exists in the dropbox data. At first I though this was a problem because I was using a new Windows computer, but it now doesn't work on a Mac either. Please help. I desperately need to access my passwords on my work computer.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 10/ OSX
    Sync Type: dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:1password in dropbox browser isn't working

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @nbmacfarlane,

I've merged your post into this general thread about 1PasswordAnywhere, which will no longer work anymore on Dropbox.com and will not be coming back.

You can find more information here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere/p1

• wstokes
    wstokes
    Community Member
    Options

Within the last week it appears 1PasswordAnywhere has stopped working. When using Chrome on Mac I see the following message:

Problem loading 1Password data file
    A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.
    Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips.

I also see this on Firefox. On Safari things are working just fine. I am also noticing this problem on various browsers on Windows. I can continue to access my vault information within the 1Password application, but I need 1PasswordAnywhere to access a few passwords while at work using Windows. My vault synced via Dropbox. Googling indicates this has happened one a year to others in the past and is not actually Dropbox's fault?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
    OS Version: 10.10.5
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @wstokes,

I've merged your post into this general thread as you have the same issue as others here.

Please read our thread here about 1PasswordAnywhere being closed by us: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere/p1

• wstokes
    wstokes
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, since I try to read the 1Password blog the idea that this change could come and go without me every knowing (indeed I found out when an employee in my small company that used 1PasswordAnywhere since he uses Linux and suddenly it stopped working) is quite alarming. You guys should have warned the user base much better via email or the blog IMHO. That said, I read the article you linked to closely and I don't see a good solution for Linux users. The smart phone answer is actually pretty bad for Linux users since you can't exactly copy and paste a 30 character cryptic password from your phone into your Linux environment and you certainly would not want to start emailing or messaging the password around. Anyhow, if Agilebits could clarify when (if ever) a Linux version of 1Password will ever land it would be extremely helpful given the abrupt stoppage of 1PasswordAnywhere.

• AlexHoffmann
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @wstokes,

We're sorry that you were taken by surprise with this. It was certainly not our intention.
    While we're investigating a Linux version of 1Password, we really can't give you any information on if or when we might build one.

That being said: Many users are sucessfully using 1Password on Linux in WINE. There are caveats, of course, but I suggest you give it a try. Our knowledge base article 'Running 1Password for Windows on Linux systems' will give you all the information you need.

Apart from that, 1Password Families offers a fully fledged web client and a plethora of features the standalone version can't offer. I suggest you give this a look.

Cheers!

• Roee
    Roee
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem with Linux as well. Installing Wine for 1Password is an overkill (not to mention the technicalities). 1Password should make my life easier and not the other way around...
    1Password for Families is really not an option as it is too expensive (for this purpose). I am not familiar how 1Password is designed but if you killed 1PasswordAnywhere, maybe you should have ported this specific functionality from 1Password for Families into the regular 1Password?
    I guess I will have to manually copy the long random passwords from my phone to the desktop...

• AlexHoffmann
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @Roee,

Thanks for chiming in with your feedback.

Unfortunately it's not that easy. 1PasswordAnywhere was a feature that was built with a syncing service like Dropbox in mind and more importantly, relied heavily on the fact that the awesome folks at Dropbox like 1Password so much, they had exceptions in place in Dropbox to make 1PasswordAnywhere work.

As time went by it became harder and harder for them to keep the exceptions working as their service evolved technically and there came a day when accommodating 1PasswordAnywhere simply wasn't possible anymore.

1Password for Families is software as a service with a fully functional web component, whereas 1Password vaults in the .agilekeychain format are local folders with a HTML file that allows access inside a web browser.

I suggest you take another look at 1Password Families. That being said: Please check out the post I linked to before, as it contains tips on how to use 1PasswordAnywhere in the future, if this is something you really need. It's not going to work in Dropbox anymore, though.

• mgoodman
    mgoodman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, surprised and disappointed to discover this after trying to access my account via the link in Dropbox tonight. I don't know if I'm missing anything, but: when you say everyone has a phone and a tablet with them all the time these days so don't need to access 1Password via the Web, that's not the case at all. I am often without my phone because I don't want to take it traveling, or to a dangerous place where an $800 phone could be stolen, or when I'm going to get wet, etc. I imagine this is the case with most everyone. What then is our solution?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @mgoodman,

That's not what we meant and it does seem like it could be interpreted like that but the point was that 1PasswordAnywhere was developed back when mobile devices weren't even an option, in fact there weren't any other options. Due to that, we had to work with Dropbox to enable this support and now that there are options, the support for it will be dropped by both sides, especially since many companies are working to disallow third party apps hosted from different web sites as it can be a security risk such as our app on top of Dropbox.com.

We did mention a few options you could use in that same thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere/p1

You can host it yourself or access it locally via a USB drive if you really need to. There's also the option of 1Password Families where we are hosting your data directly on our servers and have a web app for it. You could also purchase a cheap device for the vacation as some have done.

• mgoodman
    mgoodman
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, I appreciate your reply, and so quickly, too. : ) I hear what you are saying but respectfully, I don't think those are equal solutions. If I don't have a phone with me, I won't have or want to have a USB drive with me either. I don't know what it means to store it locally, re: the other suggestion. As for Families, I have already paid $45 or whatever it was, for the product, so I think having to pay a monthly fee to use it in this way is fair at all; in fact there is something really unseemly about it, to demand more money of us after paying so much for the app to begin with (look at what is offered totally free in every other realm of web functionality/software, across the internet). The fact is, in my view: web access to the service was incredibly valuable and indeed the most valuable part of the service for me, and filled a specific, unique need. I am certain that there are many others in my boat. To offer Web access seems to me a matter of spending a couple of days writing some more code, to offer it through your own website, say. I urge the company to listen to your customers and to rethink this. Thank you, Mike.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @mgoodman,

I hear what you are saying but respectfully, I don't think those are equal solutions.

I understand and they weren't meant to be. There is no replacement or alternative for what 1PasswordAnywhere is, we have no plans to bring it back nor replace it because it is something that has a lot of limitations to work around.

If you really need that support, my suggestion is to find a solution that fits your needs directly and that solution offers it as a core feature. 1PasswordAnywhere was not a core feature of 1Password back then and it isn't now.

The fact is, in my view: web access to the service was incredibly valuable and indeed the most valuable part of the service for me, and filled a specific, unique need.

I'm sorry that we're no longer filling that need for you with the removal of 1PasswordAnywhere. 1PasswordAnywhere was not meant to be a core feature of 1Password, it was a bonus feature we added to your vault folders so that you could access it as the last resort when 1Password programs can't be used. It is not something that anyone should depend on for full time for various reasons.

1Password itself is a local standalone product, it is not a service and does not have web access.

The monthly costs for 1Password Families/Teams goes into funding the 24x7 servers that we have to run to store your data and to process it for you when you need to use it. That's why it may seem to be more expensive for some compared to the standalone products, there are reoccurring server and bandwidth fees that we have to pay. However, 1Password Families include all 1Password apps for free and free upgrades forever as long as the account is active, it has far more advanced features that isn't possible with standalone products and for many, the value is much greater here.

To offer Web access seems to me a matter of spending a couple of days writing some more code, to offer it through your own website, say. I urge the company to listen to your customers and to rethink this.

We are listening and we've held on to 1PasswordAnywhere as long as we could but we've reached the point where we cannot do so anymore.

In fact, it took us two+ years of development to even offer 1Password Families | Teams services, it's not that easy to create a fully secure service in the cloud and to maintain it ourselves.

If we were to host 1PasswordAnywhere ourselves, we would still charge a monthly fee for doing so. If anything, it would've turned into 1Password Families now since we care about progressing our security model and adding more features.

• connorhu
    connorhu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

I have one possible (pilot) solution for this issue.
    github.com / connorhu / 1Password-anywhere
    With electron you can make a lightweight node.js desktop app over chrome. This should be a cross-platform solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That looks interesting! Obviously we can't recommend that people enter their Master Passwords into something unknown, but for those who are comfortable, it's cool that it's available on GitHub for the curious. :)

• 1Pfanatic
    1Pfanatic
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in agreement with mgoodman and others who are disappointed by the removal of "Anywhere." As one can tell from my screen name, I've been a huge 1P fan for many years. I've expressed my admiration for the company and 1Password many, many times. That said, I've read nothing here that convinces me Anywhere couldn't have been maintained, or replaced with something other than a monthly-paid service that includes most features I already have. The fact that Anywhere "was not meant to be a core feature of 1Password, it was a bonus feature we added to your vault folders…" is, I believe, a weak and specious explanation. It was a feature, plain and simple, and when a feature is removed, it's too easy to say later that it was never meant to be a core feature. I used Anywhere all the time, and now have no good workaround.

As a single man with no family, 1Password Family is pointless. However, as a man over 65, I need for one or two extended family members to have access to my 1Password information if I am disabled, or when I die. (Not planning on it, but then, no one does.) It is apparent that 1Password Anywhere will not be returning. I feel Agilebits could at least provide a similar feature without making us pay for a monthly service.

By the way, I looked at the "possible solution" provided above by connorhu. It uses some kind of java script, but as far as I can tell, the application that would make it work, called "Electron", does not work with Mountain Lion, which I'm still on for a number of reasons. Anyway, it's apparently made to use with Chrome, and I'm a Safari user. Thanks to connorhu anyway.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1Pfanatic,

Thank you for your input and for having such a lovely username! I'm very sorry to hear about the way you feel. 1PasswordAnywhere couldn't be supported for several strong reasons, but I think you've seen them already and going in circles around them will probably not take us very far. I hope that you can keep on enjoying 1Password and all the amazing new features that we're always adding or improving.

On a note about emergencies, keep in mind that 1Password can be installed on any computer for free for 30 days. If you ever find yourself in one of these situations, you always have the option to download 1Password and sync your data there. You can make a special vault for that if you want.

I'm sad to hear that the workaround that was suggested above didn't work for you either :( It's great to hear that some new ideas are being tested!

If there's anything else that we can help you with, we're always here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.