1Password won't open

Options
Gonzoh
Gonzoh
Community Member

I migrated from a Macbook Pro to a new one using Time Machine. After the migration, 1Password won't open. I get a pop up: "1Password is damaged and can't be opened. Delete 1Password and download it again from the App store." I need to be 100% certain that stored passwords/login data will NOT be compromised if I delete 1Password and reinstall. Will data still be there if/when I reinstall 1Password?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I migrated from a Macbook Pro to a new one. 1Password won't open. I get a pop up: "1Password is damaged and can't be opened. Delete 1Password and download it again from the App store." I need to be 100% certain that stored passwords/login data will NOT be compromised if I delete 1Password and reinstall. Will data still be there if/when I reinstall 1Password?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gonzoh,

Sorry to hear the 1Password app won't open on your new Mac! I'm sure we can help get things working correctly.

I need to be 100% certain that stored passwords/login data will NOT be compromised if I delete 1Password and reinstall. Will data still be there if/when I reinstall 1Password?

Yes - your data is not stored in the 1Password app file (it's within the ~/Library/Application Support/ folder on your Mac), so as long as you only delete 1Password.app and nothing else, your data is fine and will still be there when you re-download 1Password from the Mac App Store. Just drag 1Password.app from the Applications folder to the Trash (make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools when you do that).

Please let us know how it goes, and if for some reason you still can't open the app after re-downloading it, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Gonzoh
    Gonzoh
    Community Member
    Options

Am bit of a dunce here. At least feels like it. Trashed the old App. No problem. Challenge is re-downloading from Mac App Store. Don't see anywhere to 'sign in' to re-download...only to buy. Am obviously missing something and appreciate a course correction to discover the key. Thanks!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gonzoh,

Am bit of a dunce here.

Not at all! I'm sorry you're feeling that way, but that's certainly not how we see you. :)

Challenge is re-downloading from Mac App Store. Don't see anywhere to 'sign in' to re-download...only to buy.

This is a very reasonable question, and I completely understand why you'd be confused by this. The app purchase is connected to the Apple ID you were using when you first bought it. So if you did indeed buy 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store (and the aforementioned error message does indicate that you did) but you're not seeing it in your Purchased tab, then either you're currently signed in to the App Store with a different Apple ID, or you're not signed in at all.

In the Mac App Store, select Store from the menu bar. Near the bottom of that menu, you should see either Sign In... or Sign Out. Use one or both of those options to get signed in with the Apple ID that was used to buy 1Password. Then you should see 1Password listed in the App Store's Purchased tab.

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you!

• Gonzoh
    Gonzoh
    Community Member
    Options

That did the trick! For some unknown reason, it was under my wife's account. In any case, got it installed and running with zero issues. Thanks for your time and patience. Excellent personalized service!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Vee, you're quite welcome! I'm glad to hear it's installed and working correctly now. Hopefully you're all set, but if you need help with anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.