Sharing amongst MacBook, iPad, iPhone (X2) and PC

notlob
notlob
Community Member

Over a year or so ago, I tried to sync my MacBook with my iPad, but failed miserably. I contacted your support forum and received several solutions....which I tried to do....but again...failed :( I am determined to get this all sorted out now as both my wife and I have an iPhone and my wife has a PC. Could someone please walk me through this step by step from the beginning...or is it better for me to phone. I currently use 1Password constantly on my MacBook but that's it. I have installed it on my iPad but there is nothing in my Vault. I 'think' I have got it going through iCloud. I do have the latest update and I just renewed my subscription. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Sorry...I omitted the important details...
    1Password 6
    Version 6.3.1 (631006)
    AgileBits Store
    Mac Version - OS X El Capitan
    Version 10.11.5
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008)
    Sync: iCloud

Not sure what "Extension Version" means?

Thank you

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hello @notlob, I'm surprised that you should have problems syncing your various devices via iCloud. We can easily work this out here.
    But first off, I have three questions:
    • Which version of Windows / 1Password for Windows do you have?
    • Can you confirm that one of your Macs (perhaps your first installation) is syncing with iCloud [1Password / Preferences / Sync]?
    • Where did you see "Extended Version" mentioned.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for responding....it is much appreciated.

In answer to your questions...
    1) I have the MacBook Pro with the El Capitano...my wife has the PC with the latest Windows...I think version 10?!...I haven't tried to set that one up yet as I have been having issues just with the Mac related stuff i.e.iPad and iPhone and figured I would get that sorted out first before attempting the Windows.
    2) Yes I think my Mac which was the first installation seems to be syncing Ok with iCloud. iPad also seems to sync but it does not have anything in the Vault?!
    3) After I had submitted my question to the forum, I received some reminders of what I should have incuded...hence my second email. One of the reminders was "Extended Version" which I know nothing about.

Thanks

Ray

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi Ray @notlob ,

It would seem that you have the latest versions of 1Password installed and it shouldn't be a problem at all to sync with iCloud (as long as you have 1Password 5 or newer and IOS 8 and newer).
    AgileBits has a great troubleshooting guide online — did you ever see it?
    Otherwise, you can find the step-by-step guide to synching with IOS here.
    The process for setting up Windows 10 is available at about the centre of the page.

If synchronising with iCloud should for some reason fail (which I seriously doubt), there is always the option of syncing via Dropbox. This would have the advantage that it is available for all versions of 1Password, with all devices — even Android.

I hope this helps, but if you still have problems, just ask away. There's always someone around to help.

Cheers,
    Rob

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Hi @notlob, I hope that Rob's answers have been helpful. I just want to clarify one thing:

I do have the latest update and I just renewed my subscription.

Do you mean that you just signed up for 1Password Families? If so, was that your intention? Using 1Password Families would certainly make it easier to sync information between your Mac, iPad, iPhone, and potentially your Windows device (if you're comfortable using beta software) but I just wanted to make sure before we continued down this path :)

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Hello Bob and nimott,
    I have just returned back from work and thank you for getting back to me.

I don't think I am signed up for 1Password Families....I think there is a cost to that?!
    To update what is going on at the moment, I can sync with my MacBook and I can sync with my iPad. When syncing with my iPad however, when the syncing is over, and I go to Vault, it says that there is something like 193 objects within it...but there is NOTHING showing in that Vault itself??!!! I am syncing with iCloud. I did go to the troubleshooting but unfortunately cannot find a solution to my issue. Thank you

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @notlob,

I'm sorry for the confusion. I searched our account records by your email address, and you are indeed signed up for a 1Password Families account. It's the account you created at 1Password.com on June 25th. And yes, 1Password Families is a paid subscription ($5/month), but it has a 30 day free trial period, which you are still in, so you're welcome to delete the account without paying if you created it by accident. To delete your account (which currently does not have any items saved in it), login to your account via https://start.1password.com/signin/, click the account name in the upper right corner to display the menu, select Admin Console, then select the Settings tab, scroll down and click "Delete Family Account."

You already have a current license for 1Password on Mac and Windows. You bought it in 2015 but it is still valid, and it does not need to be "renewed" or upgraded at this time. :+1: I have just emailed your current license information to you for quick access. For more information on the difference between an individual desktop license and a Families subscription, see the comparison chart on our Pricing page. As for the iOS app, it's free with basic features, with an optional in-app purchase to add Pro Features, so you don't necessarily need to buy anything to use 1Password on iOS.

When syncing with my iPad however, when the syncing is over, and I go to Vault, it says that there is something like 193 objects within it...but there is NOTHING showing in that Vault itself??!!!

It sounds like your items are there but you're not sure where to look for them. I'm not sure what screen you're looking at when you see nothing, but I have a hunch that you might just need to switch to the Categories tab. On an iPad, this is a little filing cabinet icon on the left sidebar in the unlocked 1Password app. There, you'll see a list of Categories, with All Items at the top. Tap on "All Items" and you should see all of your saved items there. Tap on an individual item, and you should see its details.

And not to complicate things further, but I feel compelled to mention at this point that 1Password for Windows does not support syncing via iCloud—that's only available on Mac and iOS at this time. For users wanting to sync between Mac and Windows (and mobile), we recommend Dropbox sync instead.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you'd like clarification about anything I've said here, or if you have any other questions for us. We're here for you! :)

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

AH! HA!!! :) That's it Vee!!!! I did not see those filing cabinet icons on the side! I clicked on the appropriate one and voila...my passwords are displayed! Glad to see it all there.

Ok...not sure if I'll carry on with the 1Password Families bit...will try it out more seriously once I have managed to get the iPhones up and running too. I check your remark on syncing not being possible on Windows via iCloud ...so may switch to Dropbox. Will check it out once I have all the other stuff sorted out vis-a-vis the Apple products.

Thanks very much for your prompt help Vee, Bob and Nimott. Very much appreciated and awesome support.

Best regards

Ray

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Great! I'm glad I was able to guide you to the right screen, and sorry it wasn't obvious on its own! Thanks for following up with the good news that you found your items. :)

You're very welcome for the support! It's our pleasure. You know where to find us if you have any other questions, any time. Meanwhile, have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.