Sharing Nuances (Family)

Options
AndrewTucker
AndrewTucker
Community Member

So I get that the Personal vault is kept private for me only, but how do I - A) share virtually all of my 512 passwords and secure notes with my wife and - B) keep it so if she or I updates, it syncs? I'm totally NOT understanding how to share the passwords in my personal vault.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AndrewTucker,

Thanks for asking about this. The trick is to move the items to another vault. :)

If it's just you and your wife in your 1Password family account, you can move the items you want to share to the Shared vault. Items in the Shared vault are made available to everyone in your family account.

If you have others in your family account and don't want to share things with them — just your wife — you can create a new vault and add your wife to that vault. Then move your items into the new vault you are sharing with just your wife.

Learn more about how to share vaults with your family and manage permissions.

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Khad - the baffling part is that it appears I have to either copy or move each password one by one. Is this right? Also, how does this "Shared" vault affect her 1Password app on her iphone? How do I make it so THAT updates for her?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @AndrewTucker

I hope I can help you sort this out!

the baffling part is that it appears I have to either copy or move each password one by one. Is this right?

I can see that you're using OSX, so you can copy all of your items at once. The video on this guide will show you exactly how to do this. In particular you want to watch after minute 2:00.

how does this "Shared" vault affect her 1Password app on her iPhone?

1Password Families and local vaults can coexist if you want. She has two options: to copy the items from her Primary vault on her Personal vault so everything is on the account, or just to leave them as they are. It would be more practical to fully migrate to Families, but you always get to chose how you want to use 1Password! She'll be able to see either both vaults mixed together, or just either one of them, whatever works best. If there are items that she'd already saved on her iPhone that you're adding to the shared vault, then she'll have to either delete the duplicates or make sure that whenever she updates the item she does it on the shared vault so you can see the changes too.

How do I make it so THAT updates for her?

She only needs to add her account to her iPhone, the link that I posted above covers how to do it!

Please let us know if you have any more questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

I'm so sorry Pilar - I'm still very confused as it's just not intuitive for me. Move/Copy aside, in order to achieve the goal of a shared "family vault" on IOS (ON THE 1P APP) where we each update independently and we both see it, what are the precise steps for this? Using 1P on IOS through the web is clearly much more complicated and time consuming. Thank you for "breaking it down".

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AndrewTucker

I'm glad to help you get this sorted out, never be afraid to ask a question! :chuffed: The first step is to get the account set up on the iPhone. To do this you'll need your account key/QR code. You should be able to find it either on the security Kit (the pdf file generated when you created/joined the account) or by signing into your account on a browser, clicking on the family name on the top right corner, and then on "get the apps".

On your iPhone, open 1Password, tap on Settings and then on the first option: "1Password Accounts". Tap on Add Account and "Scan QR Code", you'll only need to write your master password and you'll be set. Anything that either of you adds to the shared vault will appear on both your iPhones in a moment!

Please let us know how this goes for you, if you bump into any issue just ask away and we'll sort it out together :chuffed:

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Plar - we are getting clearer. So to be clear on my end - we have both had 1P for years. Currently, MY 1P app on MY iphone syncs with the family Personal Vault online. I am trying to set up my wife so we are both syncing and she can easily use her 1P app on HER phone. What specifically would she do on HER phone. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

• Jacob
    Options

@AndrewTucker It's all good! I checked your family account and it looks like your wife just hasn't signed in to her account on her phone yet. That's what she needs to do to get passwords on there. :) First, have her download 1Password on her phone, then she should be able to sign in on the first screen using the email, Account Key, and Master Password she originally joined the family account with. All the vaults she has access to will appear and she should be all set! Let us know how it goes.

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks guys - but she already has 1P App on her phone. Shouldn't it just show up there? Are you saying she should delete current app, re-download, sign on using ALL the online Family login info?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndrewTucker, if she already has 1Password on her iPhone, there is no need to delete the app or reinstall it. She just needs to follow the steps to sign in to her account. Here is the direct link to the steps for iOS:

https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/?ios#step-2-set-up-the-apps-and-import-your-data

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

Man! I am totally screwed up here! SO frustrating! First I looked at my accounts and realized I wasn't linked myself, so I followed the directions and then everything was doubled and tripled. Then I undid it and now it doesn't sync and many things are doubled online now. Why is this so complicated???

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

Can I send in a ticket so we can get a clear diagnosis?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry you're still having some trouble, @AndrewTucker.

It sounds like perhaps you may have copied items instead of moving them. Each copy you make is another item. This is useful in some cases (like you want your own copy of an item in your Personal vault in case someone else edits the copy in the Shared vault). However, most folks prefer to move items, so they don't end up with duplicates, even if they are in different vaults.

Before we move on to your wife's account, let's first make sure you are signed in to your account in 1Password on your Mac. Here are my own 1Password account settings as an example. They show I am signed in to my "Young Family" account:

Once you are signed in to your account, you can switch between vaults pretty easily:

Then you can see exactly which items are in which vault.

If you are seeing duplicates in "All Vaults", it may just be that you have copies in two different vaults. Selecting just one vault at a time will help you see which items are where.

It sounds like you just need to possibly delete some duplicates from one vault or another, and spend a moment moving items to the right vaults: your item in Personal and the share items in Shared.

Let me know if that helps.

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

Ok (deep breath) - one question at a time - first off - I understand how "All Vaults" produces copied results - thank you. There is a HUGE discrepancy between the App and the Web as far as directions are concerned. When you said "Before we move on to your wife's account, let's first make sure you are signed in to your account in 1Password on your Mac" - were you referencing the app or the web?

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

Ok - looks like you were referencing the Mac App. Problem though - online I have 482 items in Personal and 56 in Shared, but on the Mac App, I have 458 items in Personal and 0 in Shared. What on gods green earth is going on here

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@AndrewTucker,

Ugh. I'm so sorry. I just saw your OS X version. You're running OS X Yosemite. Version 10.10.5 to be exact. There is a problem we are investigating that is causing problems for folks running 10.10.5.

The problem doesn't affect OS X El Capitan at all. If you were going to upgrade to OS X El Capitan, now might not be a terrible time to do so. It should resolve this problem. However, even if you don't upgrade to El Capitan, we are working hard to determine the cause and resolve it (or work with Apple to get them to resolve it; we don't yet know which it will be).

We had other reports of this yesterday (when you posted), but we just began putting the pieces of the puzzle together today. We didn't know the common denominator was OS X 10.10.5 yesterday, so that's why we didn't catch this sooner for you.

I don't want to say it, but if you can sit tight for a little while, this will be a lot easier for you once things are working as they should. At this stage, I don't know if it will be hours or days, but if you don't hear back from us sooner, can you reply on Monday to check back in?
    ref: CSI-100

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

I sooooo appreciate your honesty Khad - very refreshing - this makes sense because everything is synced perfectly with ios. I can totally wait. No worries - I've been with you guys for years and I'm not going anywhere now and I'm happy to pay the $5 per month - well worth it. One last question - when I connect my wife using MY QR code, is she syncing then to the Shared vault? The one I mentioned has 56 in it? It has 56 because I can copying from my personal only the ones she needs one by one. Second part to that question is, when she adds or updates a login on HER phone, it will only change on the SHARED VAULT correct? The original in my Personal Vault would not change? If that is the case, my systemic approach is all wrong here. I would simply need to MOVE ALL common shared logins so that all updates by either party are updated. Do I have all this right?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@AndrewTucker,

It's my pleasure to help. I thought we were both going crazy for a minute until I put two and two together. ;) I really appreciate your patience.

One last question - when I connect my wife using MY QR code, is she syncing then to the Shared vault?

Your QR code is for signing in to your account. Your wife should have her own QR code for her own account and sign in using that. That is what will allow her to have her own Personal vault that is separate from yours.

And you are completely correct about the Shared vault. Unless you have a very specific reason for keeping a copy in your Personal vault, I would recommend moving shared items into the Shared vault. That way you don't have to update two copies of items when you edit anything in them, since copies of items in different vaults are not linked in any way.

Think of it like a photo on your Mac. If you email your wife a copy of it, she can edit that copy and it won't affect the original you have. But if you both want to make edits to the photo, it's best to work on a single copy of it in a shared folder, so you don't have copies with changes that are out of sync from each other.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndrewTucker,

Well, that was fast. I think the devs might have fixed things! If you are able to give it a go again, can you let me know if the items are now matching up in the 1Password app and on 1Password.com?

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Khad - OS is working now and we are very close resolving all my issues. One last question: How does my wife get her OWN account and QR code? We have always had one vault between the two of us.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

Thank you Khad - OS is working now and we are very close resolving all my issues.

@AndrewTucker: Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of khad, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that it's working now.

One last question: How does my wife get her OWN account and QR code? We have always had one vault between the two of us.

If you login to your account on 1Password.com, you can send your wife an invitation to setup her own account (under Settings > Admin Console > Invitations). That way she can choose her own Master Password and have her own Personal vault.

And no need for that to be the last question! Don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

ref: MKF-55743-992

• AndrewTucker
    AndrewTucker
    Community Member
    Options

MIracle! We're done Brenty! Thank Khad for me would ya? I understand how it all works now. Thank you guys for hangin in there with me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndrewTucker: Will do! I love it when a plan comes together! It's our pleasure to help, and likewise, thank you for being patient and hanging in there too. We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Woohoo! Just happened to peek in to the forum on my day off. Fantastic way to lead into July 4th tomorrow. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.