Problems signing up Yahoo.

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited July 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

I have noticed this strange issue with regards to Yahoo new Sign ups.

I tried creating a new account and I am getting this odd message highlighted in red:
"Your password cannot include your name."

Of course, my password doesn't include my name. I am using the 1Password's Password Generator and it's unpronounceable. I haven't tried shortening the password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1Password for Chrome Beta 4.5.7.5
_OS Version:
Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat :crazy:

I wasn't able to reproduce this, so I wonder if you can tell me a bit more about the steps you're taking. At first I thought maybe you'd used 1Password to fill an Identity first (which would explain the odd "name" error), but that didn't cause any trouble for me — apart from my street address being filled into the email address field.

I was at this URL: https://login.yahoo.com/account/create

Also let me know the OS and Chrome versions you're using. Thanks in advance! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi

I am away from my PC at the moment so I can only say that it is a Windows 7 PC. The browser version should be Chrome latest version but I will have to reconfirm it later.

I wil also double check the 1Password versions as I have 2 installed, 4.6.xxx and 1Password 6 Beta.

The URL looks like the one I Used.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

@brenty

Here's more detail:

Browser: Chrome 51.0.2704.106 m (64-bit)
    1Password: 4.6.0.604, 6.0.171d Beta

The URL is : https://login.yahoo.com/account/create?specId=yidReg&lang=en-US&src=ym&done=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.yahoo.com&display=login&intl=us

Content wise, the above appears the same as the link you provided. I had already manually filled in the Name (First, Last), preferred email address. Nothing else had been filled.

After clicking on the 1Password Key icon in the browser bar, I unlock 1Password using the master password.

I select "Generate Password" A dialog box appears after which I will optionally copy the password before dismissing the dialog box.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

Am I understanding correctly, are you saying you're manually filling in all the fields with the exception of the password field and even there, despite using the Password Generator in 1Password you're copying and pasting using ctrl + C and ctrl + V?

I could easily be having a dippy moment and I'm misreading something but it sounds like you're saying 1Password isn't involved in any of the field filling at all. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I could easily be having a dippy moment and I'm misreading something but it sounds like you're saying 1Password isn't involved in any of the field filling at all. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

After experimenting further, I have discovered that the First and/or Last Name mustn't be an Alphabet. @brenty

Taking Brent's name, Brent Y/ B Young is unacceptable but Brent Young is?

I've tried it with Khad Y/K Young/K Y., with apologies to Khad.

I am not sure what to make of it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I have to admit I'm completely stumped. Maybe I'm missing something obvious since I'm not able to see it myself. Could you take a screenshot? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to include any sensitive information (browser tabs, etc.) Thanks in advance!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi Brent, here are the screenshots. I could fill in the rest of the blanks but it wouldn't matter. The red message would still show.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Wow. Thank you! It's clear now. That's actually really funny! :lol:

So, what's happening here is that Yahoo is checking the password against the name fields you filled. When it finds the same text in the password as in one of the name fields — regardless of case — it gives that error. So using an initial in either field combined with a long generated password, you're almost guaranteed to have overlap. For example, my password length is set to 32 currently, so the odds of me not getting a capital or lowercase B or Y in there is pretty slim. When I initially tested this, I hadn't used initials, so I couldn't reproduce this.

Definitely a Yahoo issue, but I can't imagine their going to change it. I suspect they really want people to use their full names and passwords that include neither. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! If you would like to humour yourself, there is a Long dead Indian Mathematician known as the Man Who Knew Infinity, Srinivasa Ramanujan. I wonder how Yahoo accepts names like these if shortened names are unacceptable. :) He was a real genius! Not the worse as there are even longer names out there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, if you get 1Password (and perhaps an infinite number of monkeys) to generate his name randomly, you should win something! :lol: :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for you explanation. It makes sense, although I think Yahoo must not have considered users of Password Managers!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:tongue: My jaded experience suggests most sites don't and many sites are actively hostile towards them. Of course people don't tend to contact us about sites that always behave so my view is likely somewhat skewed as a result. Onwards and upwards though!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables,

Google, irrespective of what you think of them, does appear to be password manager friendly.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

@brenty

A workaround would be to use two initials instead of singly. Rather than one B and one Y for first name and last name, how about using BY as a first name or last name? Of course, the longer the pass phrase, the greater the likelihood of overlapping alphabets.

Anyone reading this discussions might want to try the XKCD Password Generator.
    https://xkpasswd.net/s/

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That XKCD password generator is great! A perennial favorite around here. :) Glad we got to the bottom of this mystery with the Yahoo! sign up page!

This discussion has been closed.