Browser extension does not work with Chrome 51.x

Options
bzx
bzx
Community Member

Hello,

After updating Chrome to version 51.0.2704.84 (64-bit), the extension stopped working - it does not fill form fields and when I open the 1P-mini, it prompts me to "add chrome extension". I've tried uninstalling the extension and adding it again via 1P-mini, restarting 1P-mini, restarting the browser - no luck.

Is the extension not updated yet to work with latest Chrome?

(I've tried installing the beta version of the extension and the symptoms are the same).

Thanks,
Tom

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.15
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bzx: It may be that you need to restart your Mac — and Chrome — after the change. I know that Chrome updates (the process, not generally the new version itself) can prevent extensions from working. I'm using a similar setup here with Chrome 51 and the 1Password extension, so I suspect something's just hung up on your machine. Let me know what you find! :)

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty thanks for the tip - however, I just restarted and the issue persists.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bzx: I'm sorry to hear that. Can you be more specific about what's happening exactly, and do you perhaps have other extensions or "security" software that might be interfering? Disabling either temporarily may shed some light on what's happening on your machine. Thanks in advance!

• freewheel
    freewheel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I can confirm I am having the same issue as bzx after upgrading to Chrome Version 51.0.2704.84 m (64-bit).

The symptom is the 1Password extension can't talk to the helper, which is definitely running.
    Keeps loading the pages "Looking for the 1Password helper" - eventually 'Try again'.

Have uninstalled the 1Password extension, and Installed the beta, still no luck.
    Have been through all the other 1Password remediation guides, confirmed firewall settings - no luck.
    Running McAfee av and a corporate Proxy & PAC file.
    All was working fine in this configuration until the update to this version of Chrome.

1Password version 4.6.0.604
    Extension: 1Password Beta 4.5.7.2

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@freewheel: Have you tried disabling other extensions and the "security" suite as I suggested above? It's interesting that this has suddenly happened to both of you on different platforms. Let me know what you find!

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member
    Options

My issue was happening on my corporate Mac which has McAfee installed, now I tested the extension on my personal Mac (without any security software) and it is working fine, so it must be something about the McAfee or something else.. which I haven't investigated yet.

What's strange though is that previous Chrome version did not have any problems with the 1P extension, so why would a browser update be suddenly impacted by security software that was all the time present on that machine?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bzx: It's impossible to say for certain, but my guess is that there may have been a silent update to something else besides Chrome. If it was Chrome alone, I'd expect to see more reports of this. Very odd.

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I just realized this now, but my McAfee is not launching on my system anymore, so I really don't know what could have caused this. I recently updated to 10.11.5 - that's for sure (just about when it was released).

Any other clues?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bzx: I'm really not sure then. That's very strange indeed. I'm really sorry that you're still dealing with this issue! :(

Are you saying that McAfee is also not working properly, or that you've disabled/uninstalled it?

At this point, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the attempt (i.e. trying to invoke the extension) will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty thanks, I've sent the diagnostic report.

McAfee no longer auto-launches on my system, and I think it is because of 10.11.5 update - I used to have a McAfee icon present in the menu bar, and it's gone now. Also, trying to launch the "McAfee Endpoint Protection for Mac" does nothing - probably incompatible with latest OSX, ehm, macOS ;) There is only one process related to McAfee, called "McAfee Reporter", and it is idle literally all the time. So I am not sure what to think about this. Hope the diagnostic helps a bit.

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty okay, guess what, today the extension works... :scream: .. right after I've sent the diagnostics to you.. I have no idea what happened, but I will monitor the behaviour of this and keep you posted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bzx: Thanks for the update. And just when I didn't think things could get even weirder! :dizzy:

I had another thought that I wanted to mention here just now: perhaps something was hung up from the Chrome update. I was wondering if perhaps the app was damaged, which could cause some issues, but also would fail the code signature 1Password does to verify the browser's identity.

I'm really excited that it's working for you now! That would have driven me crazy. I only wish it was clear what had happened here. Hopefully you won't have any further issues. :)

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)
    Version 51.0.2704.84 (64-bit)

No workie. :)

Don

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

Uppp....wait....quit/relaunch fixed it. Maybe it was updating at the precise time I went to pay my bills. :)

Don

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@donmontalvo: Ah, the exact same thing happen to me yesterday while I was trying to troubleshoot another issue. Glad to hear a restart did the trick for you too. Never fails! :lol:

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

Dude, 1Password is good stuff, it is usually PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). :):):)

FYI, I turned the guys at work on to 1Password for Teams, a few weeks left on the trial, fingers crossed they get addicted. :)

Don

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dude, 1Password is good stuff, it is usually PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). :):):)

I think we've all been there, Don — myself, more often than I'd like to admit. ;)

FYI, I turned the guys at work on to 1Password for Teams, a few weeks left on the trial, fingers crossed they get addicted. :)

Awesome! Make sure you encourage them to reach out to us if they have any questions. We're always here to help! :)

• freewheel
    freewheel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, apologies for the late reply.
    Confirmed the issue is caused by our corporate McAfee AV.

I went through these steps:

• McAfee uninstalled by our corporate support
    • Rebooted
    • Tried the 1Password extension in Chrome - it worked first time.
    • McAfee re-installed.
    • Reboot
    • 1Password extension looking for the 1Password helper again.

I have no permission to change (or disable) the McAfee settings.
    Any advice would be appreciated :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@freewheel Unfortunately, if you're unable to change the settings for McAfee, 1Password isn't going to work for you. 1Password needs to be whitelisted for a direct connection in order for 1Password to properly connect to the background process and to verify the code signature of the connecting browser extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@freewheel: Just to elaborate on what Jamie said, since 1Password is handling our most sensitive information, we need to be absolutely sure that it's talking to "the real deal" when it comes to our browsers. And then only way we can do that (before we even think of sending our login credentials to the extension!) is by connecting and verifying the browser's code signature...and we can't do that if something is blocking the connection. :(

• freewheel
    freewheel
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty & @jxpx777 : thanks everyone, problem resolved!

I asked our Corporate McAfee AV admins to whitelist (exclude) the following executables:
    Path to ‘agent’: ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\Agile1pAgent.exe’.
    Path to exe: ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\1Password.exe’.

I referred them to the McAfee KB to achieve this:
    ‘Whitelisting’ is achieved through the 'Access Protection Rules':
    https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB81095

Whatever they've done, the Chrome 1Password extension is now working and talking to the agent.
    So it wasn't the Chrome version at all, just coincidence Chrome upgraded the same time as McAfee applied.

Thanks again :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks so much for the update, and that additional information. I don't doubt that it will help others in the future as well! It's sounds like all they needed to do was add an Access Protection Rule exception for the 1Password and Helper executables. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.