Replacing password should only update webform fields, username, and password

After entering my username/password in a web form, I often choose to replace an existing password instead of creating a new one. When I do so, this replaces the entire contents of the old 1Password entry without saving the original entry in deleted items. When replacing an existing web login, 1Password should replace the username, password, and webform fields only. It should not replace new sections added by me, nor notes.

This came up for me because I often save my security/validation questions and answers in 1Password (also randomly generated values from 1Password). When they're associated with a web login, I add them as a notes section in the web login saved by 1Password. However, if I subsequently change my password, I use the "Replace existing password" functionality, which wipes/destroys my old entry in entirety, instead of just the webform, username, and password. I've had near-catastrophic account recovery issues because I lose the validation questions and some sites don't allow them to be changed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Replacing password should only update webform fields

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MalinaKirn,

Can you tell us a bit about your setup please. Updating a password shouldn't be altering the rest of the item so we will want to investigate and see if we can reproduce your findings. To this end it would be helpful to know the following:

1. What operating system do you use and what version is it currently at?
    2. What version of 1Password are you running?

If I'm understanding correctly, after you've created a Login item and added the various custom fields for the additional information, you're going through the steps to change the password for the site and 1Password is prompting you and it is at this stage that the undesirable behaviour becomes evident?

• schecae1
    schecae1
    Community Member

I'm having something similar happen, but it was with an existing login entry not one I had just created. Fortunately, it did not replace my notes, but it did change my username. All that was in the change password webpage was two new password fields. My username had not been a normal one, but I was able to correctly guess what it had been. Other than updating my password and the username, I think the other fields were left unchanged. This happened to me a couple days ago on another password update site also. 1Password saves the old passwords, but it should save everything that it is updating.

Mac OS X 10.10.5
    1Password 6.3.1 (631006)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@schecae1: Updating a login won't affect most of its data, only the actual login credentials. I actually find this frustrating from time to time, because sometimes I'd like it to update the webform details as well! I wonder if perhaps it's something peculiar to the website in question. Can you tell me the URL and steps you went through to update it? Thanks in advance! :)

• schecae1
    schecae1
    Community Member

Sorry about the delay; I've been on vacation.

The URL is https://ako.us.army.mil/suite/designer

I'm guessing that you do not have access to the page so I'm attaching a screenshot of what is there (instructions, current password field, new password field, password string indicator, second new password field, and a "Change Password" button. I don't want to repeat the problem, but I'm pretty sure that after clicking the "Change Password" button that 1Password asked me if I wanted to update the saved entry, I said yes, and while it updated the password, it also changed my user ID that I had used to log into the site. The text it replaced my ID with was my work organization so it was text that was associated with my profile, but nothing on the Change Password page.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@schecae1 Thanks for this. It sounds like perhaps there is another field on this page, maybe a hidden field or something like that. Please visit this page in Safari. Choose File > Save As… from the menu bar and save the page in the Web Archive format somewhere convenient such as your desktop. Then, email the web archive file to us at support+forum@agilebits.com

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the email. :)

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• schecae1
    schecae1
    Community Member

The webarchive support number is #BUP-26655-588

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! I'm reviewing the file now and will reply via email.

This discussion has been closed.