VPN recommendations (Windows, iOS, etc.)

Alex161
Alex161
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Lounge

Looking for the most secure VPN service to use with my Windows 7 ultimate as well as my Apple iPad4. Any suggestions would be helpful as I have no idea \nd so many are advertised.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can you advise on which is the best VPN to use with which browser. Windows 7 please

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

@Alex161 It is very difficult to tell you who is the best VPN

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06/aiming-for-anonymity-ars-assesses-the-state-of-vpns-in-2016/

As a general rule, you will want a VPN that you need to pay a monthly subscription for. Because you will want to be your VPN service provider's customer -- not the product being sold.

Personally, I'm a fan of Mikko Hyppönen's excellent Freedome. Another great alternative is Cloak.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

@svondutch: <3

@Alex161: I hope you don't mind, but I'm moving this discussion to the Lounge since it's certainly a very broad topic that security-conscious folks on all platforms will be interested in! :chuffed:

Any VPN should work just fine with any browser. And I think asking in the forums here is actually a great idea since it seems like there's a lot of misleading advertising in the VPN market. Best to get suggestions from people who actually use them!

As a general rule, you will want a VPN that you need to pay a monthly subscription for. Because you will want to be your VPN service provider's customer -- not the product being sold.

++ on this! I haven't used FreeDome, but I'm a huge fan of Cloak. My only complaint with Cloak is that they are Mac and iOS only. If I could use them on my PCs I'd be all set!

On Windows, I use VPN Unlimited and ProXPN. The former is cheaper, but the latter seems to be more reliable — both software and the service. I can't say for certain if this is a fault with either product or just something to do with Windows, but I've always had issues using VPNs there: I often have to reset the network connection or restart completely only after connecting to VPN...so I am also very much interested in hearing others' recommendations! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@micjustin33: Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that comparison. Admittedly, I was less concerned about the protocol than the provider, since not all are reliable and easy to use. I've paid for some in the past that just didn't work (probably overloaded).

But you're right that there are multiple options even within a given VPN provider. I believe that most of the providers I've used personally have supported both PPTP (for compatibility) and OpenVPN or IPSec (for security). Thanks again for contributing that summary! :)

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member

Not a problem with moving this question brenty and it has produced an excvellent response from micjustin33. That reply was great and has given me something top have a look at and I am greatly appreciative of this info. I only want this for my Windows 7 PC, as I consider that the iOS on my iPad is sufficiently secure.
    Malcolm

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Malcolm ( @Alex161 ),

I’m so glad to see that you’ve received a useful answer here! One of my favourite things about the forums here are our dedicated and knowledgable users. We’re pretty lucky to have you all.

If you have any other questions about 1Password or online security in general, we’re always happy to chat. :)

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Many thanks. Always good to chat to the team, who are always helpful. I may be wrong, but perhaps the Emergency Kit may become available for a wider field of members who coulkd find it useful. I'm still looking at various VPN sites for consideration.

Malcolm

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016

Glad to know Cloak is well recommended. I tried it, but then stopped because I did not need a VPN as I wasn't using my machines away from home.

And then when I needed a VPN there was a good offer on Hotspot Shield, so I've been using that. There's another good offer on it at the moment. It seems to work OK, and very easy to move between US and UK connections.

It has a free version, which I understand is supported by ads, but I went for the paid version.

I can't actually see which technology they use, in fact they say it is a proprietary technology and don't give more details. Reviews seem ok.

I don't know anything technically about HotspotShield and would be interested if anyone is able to report on it.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Witopia

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Penelope Pitstop: Cool! I hand't heard of them either! I think that's why this is an important discussion: there are just too many VPN providers to sift through on our own. :lol:

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

@brenty Yes there are so many to choose from. Like most things in life, you tend to get what you pay for IMO. Their service is secure, very reliable and fast. On the rare occasion you need it, the live support is top notch too. I started with them years ago when the market was less crowded.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Yes there are so many to choose from. Like most things in life, you tend to get what you pay for IMO. Their service is secure, very reliable and fast. On the rare occasion you need it, the live support is top notch too. I started with them years ago when the market was less crowded.

@Penelope Pitstop: :) :+1:

I can't actually see which technology they use, in fact they say it is a proprietary technology and don't give more details. Reviews seem ok.

@danco: I was curious too. Curiously, while they have some pretty good educational materials on their site that covers different protocols, it doesn't seem to indicate anywhere which they use.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

@brenty I use iOS a lot, so I choose to use their lower-end personalVPN™ (Basic) service rather than the higher-end version that has their proprietary technology as an option. Cisco IPsec is sufficient to mitigate the risks I'm concerned about, and it is probably the best choice for iOS devices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, indeed. That's probably the case for most folks who are just concerned about the casual snooper on public Wi-Fi. After all, most major sites are using HTTPS now anyway. But it's good that there are other options. :)

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Yes, most people start out being concerned about passive snooping. I'd be more concerned about rogue hotspots and MitM attacks. The most useful feature of a VPN to me is unrelated to security. I like being able to access services in another country that block international IPs. For example, the BBC website is much better when accessed from a UK IP address than anything else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I like being able to access services in another country that block international IPs.

Yarrr! :pirate: :+1:

• wkirish
    wkirish
    Community Member

I don't see reference to Saferweb, supposedly a high class VPN. Anybody familiar with it and the service received?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not familiar with them, and I can't afford any more VPN providers right now...but perhaps someone else has tried them. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

So I'm on vacation and I don't use public wifi at all, because I know it's not safe. Well I was wondering about VPNs and maybe I should use them if I need to jump on wifi at the hotel or something. I downloaded the Opera VPN (free) just to play around with on my iOS stuff, but I know I get what I pay for. I found this:

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/

And wondering if any of these are good and worth it. I just want to keep snooping eyes out of my data. Is the Opera VPN good enough for my needs?

I found another one in the App Store call VPN Unlimited and it has good reviews.

Since there are a lot of techie people here, what are your thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@prime as there was an existing fairly long thread here on the same subject I've merged your post with it to keep everything in one place.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

I downloaded the Opera VPN (free) just to play around with on my iOS stuff, but I know I get what I pay for.

@prime: I think Opera's "VPN" is good enough for most people, since it's free, convenient, and easy to use. It'll protect against casual snoopers at Starbucks. For me the downside is that it's only useful for the browser's traffic, not anything else on my system. For others, having to trust Opera may be a deal breaker. From Opera's Krystian Kolondra:

In our case we are coming with a new term: a browser VPN – and our goal is that all the network activity from the browser is actually routed via our secure proxy – unlike the usual proxies that only route the web traffic. So it’s different than a system wide VPN but it’s also different than a proxy. Thus – a browser VPN.

So it's important to keep in mind that it really isn't a VPN in the technical sense, but more of a secure browser proxy being routed through Opera's servers.

I found another one in the App Store call VPN Unlimited and it has good reviews.

@prime: I've used this myself. Right now it's my "backup" VPN service on both my Macs and PCs for one reason and one reason only: it's a bit clunky. On the Mac, this really sticks out like a sore thumb. On Windows, it's less of an eyesore (it's all relative), but not a great user experience nevertheless. I was fortunate to pick up a lifetime license on sale a while back, so in my case that's always in the back of my mind, though I haven't had any issues with the service. But it goes back to what you said earlier: "you get what you pay for".

Honestly, every time I see VPN lists and reviews the nerd in me wants to try them all...but I just can't justify adding any more at this point. On the PC, I use ProXPN mainly. Still not super slick, but I think that's kind of Microsoft's fault to some extent and it's affordable. On the Mac, I can't say enough nice things about Cloak. Truly it's on the expensive side, but...you know the rest. ;)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

The Opera VPN of iOS will work with with everything on the iPhone. I know th Mac version will only work with the Opera Browser.

Opera Free VPN - Unlimited Free VPN with Adblock by Opera Software ASA
    https://appsto.re/us/TOWAab.i

Thanks for the advice, I'll do more looking :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Thanks for the info. The opera VPN for iOS is different then opera for the Mac with the VPN built in. The Opera VPN is a VPN for the whole iPhone and works with all browsers.

Opera Free VPN - Unlimited Free VPN with Adblock by Opera Software ASA
    https://appsto.re/us/TOWAab.i

I saw a life time one, and I wish I jumped on it. I didn't think I ever need it. There are some I saw, I'll maybe play around with them.

I know I should look for ones that don't keep logs and strong encryption.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The Opera VPN of iOS will work with with everything on the iPhone. I know th Mac version will only work with the Opera Browser.

@prime: That makes sense if it's a separate app there, much like Cloak and others. I hadn't even looked at it on iOS yet. Thank you! :)

I saw a life time one, and I wish I jumped on it. I didn't think I ever need it. There are some I saw, I'll maybe play around with them. I know I should look for ones that don't keep logs and strong encryption.

I do see these deals from time to time, and I know I've seen VPN Unlimited in particular more than once. I'm personally not concerned about the logs (to the point that I'm not sure I've checked on that recently), though that's certainly very important for a lot of people. I just want to make sure that I don't have to worry about sending any information in the clear when I use untrusted Wi-Fi — which is more and more often. Cheers! :)

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member

Thank you all for your comments. Food for thought and much appreciated.
    Malcolm

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Anytime. Cheers! :) :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

So I been looking at this one, any thought from any of you?

https://torguard.net/index.php

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I found the website and client pretty outdated when I tried it a while ago, but if that's not a problem for you, it sounds like it will get the job done.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

@khad, thanks for the links! On one site, it was on the top 10 for 2016.

I actually saw the Tom's Hardware one, not a bad site. The PC Mag said this: "Doesn't block tracking services. Sluggish, outdated client. No privacy features. No trial software. Website confusing to navigate."

Doesn't block tracking series and no privacy features, what does that mean? Isn't that what VPNs do?

Thanks foe the help!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm not actually sure what they mean by that. Maybe other VPN services offer additional blocking and privacy features, and they like those better? It's a bit of a head scratcher to me. :dizzy:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Maybe some other VPN clients offer some sort of privacy features like clearing/blocking cookies, browser integration, etc. I've steered clear of those types myself because I like something more lightweight. Just a guess.

This discussion has been closed.