Avoid asking to save password when entering OTP on usaa.com

Options

I have 2FA setup on my USAA account. I receive an OTP via text or email, and whenever I submit it, 1Password asks whether I want to save this as my password. Of course, I do not, since it's not my password and instead an OTP. It'd be great if 1Password could distinguish between my site password and OTPs entered on usaa.com and not ask to save the later, or update my existing password when I enter an OTP.

1Password Version: 6.5.BETA-7
Extension Version: Beta
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Chris Messina,

It isn't quite what you've asked for but you can instruct 1Password to ignore a site for saving a new Login item if it's defaulting to asking to save a new Login item and not update an existing one. When you next visit USAA and the 1Password window pops up you'll see a cog in the bottom left hand corner. Clicking on it will offer the option of ignoring this site going forward for auto-save.

This is assuming that the page you're entering the 2FA code doesn't look like a password change form to 1Password. To be honest this is the first time I've heard of a site using a password field for the 2FA code (it is a password field isn't it?). My experience here is somewhat limited but every site I've personally come across has just used a text field.

I use the above option for ignoring the login page for my bank. They ask for characters x, y & z from my password so the only option is to ignore the page completely.

Could this be a solution to the issue you're facing?

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    Options

Here's what the UI looks like:

Here's the source code:

It seems to occur in Chrome and not Safari. I'll try your tip the next time I'm asked to provide an OTP!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Chris Messina,

So based on what I've seen it doesn't look like 1Password should believe it's a password change form at least which means that if nothing else, I would expect my suggestion to work on this occasion. Just to let you know I've also contacted you via email.

ref: MRH-81851-998

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll just add a rule to my 1Password settings!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! That should help alleviate the bother here, but we'll continue to work to see if we can find a solution in the extension itself. Thanks for your patience and willingness to work with us on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.