If a secure website is compromised does 1 password protect me?

Options
fredz72
fredz72
Community Member

Does 1password generate a new random password each time I log into a site? If my email address show up an a compromised list do I still have to change all of the passwords associated with that email or does 1password somehow protect me?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:If a secure website is compromised does 1 password protect me?

Comments

• fredz72
    fredz72
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like I still have to make secure, unique passwords for every site. I have approximately 120+ sites, some very important others not so much. How does 1Password help?

• Ben
    Options

Hey @fredz72,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

It sounds like you aren't acquainted with what 1Password actually does yet. To help me explain, our friends over at Sandwich Video have made this great short for us:

Sandwich Video | No More Sticky Notes

This is the 10,000 ft overview.

Does 1password generate a new random password each time I log into a site? If my email address show up an a compromised list do I still have to change all of the passwords associated with that email or does 1password somehow protect me?

Ideally you would use a secure unique password for each website (eventually). This doesn't have to happen overnight though. To make the transition seem less onerous I sometimes recommend that folks change their passwords to secure unique ones one at a time, as they go to use that website. I don't know about you but going through 120+ sites all at once and generating new passwords for them in an afternoon doesn't exactly sound like a walk in the park to me. :) You certainly could do it that way though.

1Password does not automatically change any passwords for you, but it can generate passwords that you can use if you'd like (or you can store your own):

Change your passwords and make them stronger

This way if one of your accounts is compromised you only need to worry about that account. If your password to an account is stolen it isn't as big of a deal because you're only using it for one site. You should of course still change that password.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.