Barcode scanner/renderer for memberships/reward programs?

brettcannon
brettcannon
Community Member

I have a few memberships and reward programs that have cards with barcodes. It would be great if I could scan the barcodes with 1Password and then also render them for when I need the barcodes. This might require a separate field form membership/reward number as personal/work experience has shown that many barcodes have extra/different data then what is printed on the card.

Having this would not only allow me to keep all of this info in 1Password, but then I could uninstall the app I have for storing these barcodes (Stocard).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brettcannon: Well, I think it would be sad to kill other apps like that...but you're right that in some ways it would be more convenient to be able to store those sorts of things in 1Password. But there's good news: you can! Just add the QR code or barcode image as an attachment and sync it from the desktop version, and you can view the image in 1Password for Android. I hope this helps! :)

• brettcannon
    brettcannon
    Community Member

Well, apps like Stocard actually have utility beyond just the barcode bit (e.g. they show you flyers for the store you're at and nearby), but I just happen to never use the extra features so I figured moving the non-commercial part to 1Password would be handy. :)

Anyway, I'll test the barcode photo idea to see if the scanners can pick it up vs a clean render on the screen.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@brenty do you have any ideas for 1Pw for families/teams users? Because there is no document support on Android yet :/ this solution won't work :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, apps like Stocard actually have utility beyond just the barcode bit (e.g. they show you flyers for the store you're at and nearby), but I just happen to never use the extra features so I figured moving the non-commercial part to 1Password would be handy.

@brettcannon: Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm probably missing out on some discounts, aren't I? :lol:

Anyway, I'll test the barcode photo idea to see if the scanners can pick it up vs a clean render on the screen.

That's another interesting point you bring up! Even when I use the companies' own apps sometimes the scanner won't read it. I'm not sure if this is due to technical difficulties, or simply outdates equipment. I wish there were better standards (and systems) in place to ensure that we could all have a better user experience, whether we use a branded app, another from a 3rd party, or 1Password for things like this. But it's a future we can work toward.

do you have any ideas for 1Pw for families/teams users? Because there is no document support on Android yet :/ this solution won't work :(

@ntimo: Thank you for advocating for all of our Android users! We definitely have some work to do there (and on Windows) to get to a more consistent experience across all platforms. Currently 1Password for Android support attachments in local vaults, so that's a temporary workaround. But we're working on bringing full Documents support there as well. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• brettcannon
    brettcannon
    Community Member

@brenty Having worked a little bit in this part of industry, I can tell you it comes down to the age of the equipment. Older systems use laser beams to read the barcode while newer ones use image recognition. The laser-based ones are the ones that have a hard time as LCD screens don't reflect lasers well enough for them to pick up the barcode. Image recognition just needs a bright enough surface to pick up the barcode.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brettcannon: See, I had sort of a vague sense about that, but I really appreciate you spelling it out for me. That's great to know!

My first thought was, "Hey, al of this will work itself out in time as equipment is updated"...but actually I hope that Apple Pay, Android Pay, and other less-fiddly, secure, contactless payment methods catch on so we can just sort of sidestep these problems. But until that magical day, we'll need to continue evaluating other options to see if something sticks. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.