1Password Families and 1Password extension for Chrome.

jonahkaplan
jonahkaplan
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

does the chrome extention for families work or not? i am looping around and around on support pages and instructions trying to install the extension. it doesn't say (mac only) nor can i find a message anywhere regarding the families beta for windows.. BUT.. it is looking for the agilekey and not the families thing so it's empty and has not info whatsoever.

does the chrome extension work in windows?

i've been using 1password since 3 and have bought multiple licenses for mac and windows etc, and this is now turned into endless convoluted searches and then posts to make sense of the simplest thing. or maybe i'm just getting old.

i'm adding my wife to family but i'm dreading it and putting it off.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jonahkaplan,

I'm sorry that it is not clear and we definitely need to do a much better job here. I did try to clarify more in my post here if you want to read more but I will address your issues here.

Right now, Families support on Windows is limited to 1Password 6 Beta apps. The 1Password extensions itself doesn't have a UI or data, it depends on the apps to handle that in the background. In fact, we use the same extensions between multiple 1Password versions on different platforms.

In this case, if you want to use 1Password Families with browser extensions, you have to install 1Password 6 Beta first and sign into your 1Password Families account before you can use the extension. To find out how to do this, read our thread here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64591/help-us-welcome-1password-6-to-our-windows-family#latest

• jonahkaplan
    jonahkaplan
    Community Member

Browser extensions

We've added limited filling support as of the 2016.5.2302d update and will be adding more features over time.

To install the browser extension, open this page in your browser: http://www.agilebits.com/browsers/index.html
    Unlock the main 1Password program to enable the extension integration and then open the browser, the extension will work alongside the program.
    In addition, Go and Fill is supported now. You can click on the Browse button in your Login's details view to perform Go and Fill with your default browser.

i did this but the extension is still pointing to the dropbox agilekey or whatever. sigh. how do i change that...?

• Hi @jonahkaplan,

What anti-malware solution are you using? It may be that your security setup is preventing the 1Password extension from connecting to the Helper within 1Password 6 Beta, which is why you're still seeing that error message.

• bye2
    bye2
    Community Member

Hmm.... same issue here.

I've got "No matching items found" from the plugin of both Chrome and Firefox. While I try to click the "Register browser extension helper", it gives no response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bye2: As Mike mentioned above, this may be because something on your system is preventing 1Password from communicating. In that case, it will only know that it isn't receiving any data. However, if the URL you're visiting doesn't match the one saved in your login, then the result will be the same. Knowing the URL will help us test it ourselves, and be sure to let us know which "security" software you're using in case that's involved as well. Thanks in advance! :)

• bye2
    bye2
    Community Member

@brenty: Oh... that works.... Not because of the firewall but the confusing message. "No matching items found" means that there is no user ID / password field matching the URL in the vaults. I was testing with the more advanced Safari plugin in my Mac before. It is very "beta" version here in Windows... haha. It works to fill the password now.

Everything shall follow that discussion thread. A wrong combination do nothing. I just doubt why there is no message from the firewall log while you guys talking about firewall.

BTW, mine is Norton Premier. Nothing wrong here.

• Hi @bye2,

It is very "beta" version here in Windows... haha. It works to fill the password now.

Yep, it is a rough beta of a new app. A new UI is coming for the extension to be identical to the 1Password mini experience you're used to on macOS.

I just doubt why there is no message from the firewall log while you guys talking about firewall.

Most anti-malware solutions don't tell users about every little thing, they just block whatever they expect is not normal. 1Password cannot inform users because it doesn't know when the browser extension is trying to communicate since it is blocked on one side.

As for why this would be involved even for No matching items are found message, it is because some solutions are filtering the connections between 1Password extension and the app, so if it sees some weird message, it just strips them out and thus, the extension thinks no results came back from 1Password.

• Lenny3200
    Lenny3200
    Community Member

Hi,
    I'm still confused. I'm trying to get the rest of my family on 1P for Family and we've spent over an hour trying to get the extension to work. My Dad keeps getting the "No matching items are found" message. We know the URLs are correct, because with the previous version (1Pw4), the login URLs matched fine. Can you be more clear about the next steps when you get this message? Is it a problem with the beta or something else we need to do?

• blurp
    blurp
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Hi there, I could use some clearer information as well.
    By URL matching, do you mean 100% match, or partial match like agilebits.com (with prefix or trailing stuff) as well?
    Also, I'd like to know If my setup is ready for the beta or not:

• Windows 10
    • Google Chrome + Extension (definitely need the forms filling feature)
    • Primary Vault is currently stored in DropBox
    • want to move it to my Family Account
    • still have 1P v4 installed

I've tried setting it up, but not everything worked out

• how do I move my items? I've done it for my wife on an iPhone, but certainly won't do it for hundreds of my items :)
    • I don't get URL matches in Chrome
    • adding to this, 1P v6 beta doesn't show some URLs from my Dropbox Vault (e.g. Office 365, where I have multiple URLs stored)
    • is v6 supposed to automatically (while being open) update changes I've in my Dropbox Vault with v4?

thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blurp: The most important thing to keep in mind is that 1Password 6 has only basic local vault support for the time being, for the purposes of migrating to 1Password Families/Teams. Full support will come in the future, but for now it isn't recommended to use local vaults with the 1Password 6 beta. Add them to copy to your 1Password Account vaults, and then use those instead.

You won't be able to move anything. Local vaults are read-only. But you can copy the data over. Can you tell me what you mean by "I've tried setting it up, but not everything worked out"? Are you receiving some sort of error when you try to copy data over?

Regarding URLs, it will need to be an exact domain match currently for the login to be offered by the extension, but the exact path will be ignored. Filling is limited to logins right now, but we'll be adding credit card and identity filling as well.

If you're still having trouble, be sure to let us know the problem your'e running into so we can help! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Lenny3200: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, without knowing the URL the item has saved and the one you're visiting in the browser, we can only really guess. Just be aware that, as I mentioned above, it will need to be an exact domain match currently for the login to be offered by the extension. The path will be ignored, but the rest will need to match. please let me know what you find! :)

• Lenny3200
    Lenny3200
    Community Member

Windows 7, Chrome, 1P 6beta, Latest extension
    It happened on a few websites. Maybe it is the exact match problem. I'm used to 1P getting close matches. Is this not the case with current version for Windows beta?
    I believe the website we were trying was citibank.com

• blurp
    blurp
    Community Member

@brenty
    Can you tell me what you mean by "I've tried setting it up, but not everything worked out"?
    those 4 bullet points below were my issues.

As for copying thats totally OK. Thanks for that how to link, I would have never thought of "share" as a way to copy. I would suggest you either move that "share" text button, because it's a) poorly located and b) I'd expect to be in the context menu (right click) or at least be prominently positioned with a known share icon.

"Regarding URLs, it will need to be an exact domain match currently for the login to be offered by the extension, but the exact path will be ignored"
    Can you elaborate on this? By "path" do you mean everything after e.g. domain.com ?
    I'm trying to login at https://www.office.com/login?ru=/&es=Click which redirects to https://login.microsoftonline.com

these are URLs I had entered and I'm getting "no matching items found".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As for copying thats totally OK. Thanks for that how to link, I would have never thought of "share" as a way to copy. I would suggest you either move that "share" text button, because it's a) poorly located and b) I'd expect to be in the context menu (right click) or at least be prominently positioned with a known share icon.

@blurp: Ahaaa, thanks for letting me know! I'm sorry that wasn't clear enough, but I'm glad the instructions helped. It's definitely a difficult balance between having the options we need readily available, but keeping things uncluttered by getting them out of the way when they're not needed. I appreciate the feedback on that. We have a few ideas, and we'll keep working on it!

By "path" do you mean everything after e.g. domain.com ?

Correct, so in your example,

https://www.office.com is the part that 1Password is looking at. However,

Once it redirects, you'll be at this new URL, so having this one saved (as it appears you do) is what will allow 1Password to use the same saved login there.

I just tried to recreate the login based on your screenshot, and when I go to this URL in Chrome

https://www.office.com/login?ru=/&es=Click

I get redirected to this URL

https://login.microsoftonline.com/ (with a bunch of nonsense at the end)

and clicking the 1Password button fills it, no questions asked (since I have no other matching logins to choose from). So I wonder if there's something preventing the 1Password extension from getting information from the app...or if there are other details about your login that I'm missing. Are the URLs all preceded by https://? It doesn't look like it, so I omitted that as well, only including the URLs as shown in your screenshot. I created this login in the web app since it isn't yet possible to add addition URLs there. Anything else I should add? Thanks in advance! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Lenny3200: I have a Citibank account myself, so please let me know the URL you're visiting and the URL(s) you have saved in your login. I'll be happy to test this to see how we can improve things! :)

This discussion has been closed.