can't buy family sub-message"can't make secure connection to server". 1 user buy link works fine

Options
derek_thompson
derek_thompson
Community Member

i did a screen grab for server message but your "attach file" icon does not work. trying to buy your product and 2 things not working before I've purchased. Wondering how robust is your software? Thanks, Derek

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new question

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@derek_thompson: I'm sorry for the trouble! 1Password is very robust, but it sounds like something else on your system may be a little too "robust" if it's interfering with the secure connection to the payment processor.

Do you have a "security" suite installed that's intercepting your secure traffic to "inspect" it? We've had reports of this error, and so far that's been the cause: features like Avast's "Web Shield", which performs a person-in-the-middle attack on TLS connections over HTTPS to monitor connections which are meant to be securely end-to-end encrypted.

Disabling that or any "HTTPS scanning" feature should allow you to connect securely, both to the payment provider to subscribe to 1Password Families, and also to other sites and services which require a truly secure connection. Please let me know what you find!

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty. I don't use virus checkers etc and I've only encountered this prob before when it has been a problem with the server (busy, down etc). I never have a prob paying for stuff or secure connections and if I try to buy the 1 user software that works fine which made me think that it was a website problem

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

ps using safari with OS 10.9.5

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, I can't see my previous 2 responses to you in the thread. Did you get them?

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

tried quite a few more times to buy via the families button but still same message (screen grab I sent you earlier

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone coming back on this? I Really value good customer service when I buy products. If I can't even get help to buy your product it doesn't represent your customer service once I own it very well.

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

re 3pm post, those 2 responses have re appeared

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

Have you checked the public link to buy the family sub?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the delay in replying, @derek_thompson. We strive to reply to everyone with 24 hours and are often able to reply within hours or even minutes. We have a distributed team in many different time zones that allows for this, but not everyone works on the weekends. Please also note that this isn't a live chat. Not saying you thought it was, but I've seen that confuse some folks in the past. :)

The link is definitely working in our testing. There must be a specific configuration issue on your Mac.

1Password.com has been designed to enforce much stricter security than many "secure" sites. This is for your protection, since 1Password handles your most sensitive data. As Brenty mentioned, sometimes people have software installed that actually breaks the chain of trust that 1Password relies on to provide the very best security. Many websites — even though they may be served over HTTPS — do not have the same security requirements that 1Password.com demands of your browser and computer. That's why it may very well be possible for you to be able to visit other HTTPS websites even when your specific setup is preventing you from connecting to 1Password.com.

Can you try the link on a different Mac or on your phone? That will rule out the possibility that it is a server-side issue, and we can focus on what is going on with your Mac.

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Khad, I'll try that but can you explain why I don't get the server problem if I click the other button to buy single user software-surely they both have the same way of dealing with my computer?

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

You're right. I've just bought it on my laptop. Still don't understand the discrepancy between the family and single user result though. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

@derek_thompson

The 1Password Families site has more strict security requirements than our online store that sells licenses.

If you'd like to further troubleshoot the difficulty on your Mac desktop I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostic report from it:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have a response to the diagnostic report? It is an urgent problem as having purchased a family sub on another computer, I can not sign in on my imac(getting the same server error message as before). Thanks

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @derek_thompson

I'm sorry for the delay on the reply, we have your email and you'll get an answer from us over there soon :chuffed: We'll continue the conversation over email.

ref: JCY-81959-217

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

• derek_thompson
    derek_thompson
    Community Member
    Options

This didn't post in thread before (from my mobile)-I can't log in-getting this message
    I did the requested troubleshoot and sent that day before yesterday (I previously couldn't buy the software-getting the above server message). Please help.

• LauraR
    Options

Hi @derek_thompson - thank you for sending a diagnostics report from your iMac. We will reply to you via email.

ref: JCY-81959-217

This discussion has been closed.