Trouble with the browser extension

steph6
steph6
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Purchased Family account 3 months ago. Waited for kinks to be worked out for windows 10, as I did not want to create a microsoft account just to use. Today I did the full migration from my dropbox and everything seem to be fine. All data synced in my personal vault. I set up my android, ipad and macbookair too. But all are basically useless as a "read only" type of function. I can't do anything like I did before....browser extensions won't work, auto fill won't work, obviously I haven't tried to save any log ins because I can't get to that point. In the midst of trying to correct problems I uninstalled 1password 4 app and installed 1 password 6app. Please send help soon! Thank You!

1Password Version: 1.6.0175D
Extension Version: DELETED
OS Version: WINDOWS 10
Sync Type: DROPBOX but wanting to just use personal account
Referrer: kb-search:HOW DO I FET 1PASSWORD 4 BACK, kb:undefined, kb-search:1PASSWORD 6 NOT WORKING, kb:undefined, kb-search:1 PASSWORD 6

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @steph6,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

It sounds like all your complaints are with the beta version of 1Password 6 for Windows. Is that correct? I ask because, in 1Password 6 for Mac, the browser extension works exactly the same whether you have a family account or not. However, since 1Password 6 is still in beta on Windows, there is some functionality that we are still working on.

For example, it's not possible to save passwords with the browser extension when using 1Password 6 for Windows. However, you should definitely be able to fill passwords. But it does require the 1Password extension in your browser:

Install the 1Password extension

Since you mentioned that you deleted the extension, I think that may be the problem. it must be installed in order for it to function.

Please also note that 1Password Families requires 1Password 6 for Windows. It is not possible to sign in to a family account in 1Password 4 for Windows. 1Password Families was released after primary development on 1Password 4 for Windows ended.

If you're still having trouble after installing the extension, please let me know. I'm sure we can get it sorted out. :)

• steph6
    steph6
    Community Member

1Password 6 for Mac, the browser extension(not beta)... works with chrome but will not auto fill. I basically have to copy and past anything into browser/user name/password
    1Password 6 for Windows. However, you should definitely be able to fill passwords. But it does require the 1Password extension in your browser: when I had the extension in Windows on my browser it would not work and I was not able to auto fill anything. In my blog research I check for items in task manager that may need deleted and that wasn't an issue. I will install the extension again and try again on windows.

• steph6
    steph6
    Community Member

I installed the extension but when click on it nothing happens. I then made sure I was logged into 1P via the 1P6 app and when i go back and click on the extension it reads "No matching items found, click to open 1 Password". I click on it and nothing happens. In the non family account I use to have it was really nice to just click on the extension and access needs only via the extension. I seldom had to "open 1 password" Seems like I'll have to possibly do lots of steps to accomplish just logging in to various sites.

• steph6
    steph6
    Community Member

I'm still having issues. Please read above two posts and get back when you can. I've been working on this since 10 this morning. Tired but hopeful I can get this settled today.

• steph6
    steph6
    Community Member

khad....I can now use the macbook since I changed to primary vault instead of personal. I was hoping to quit using dropbox sync across devices and just use the web account sync a but now I can't even find the Primary vault on the web account. Only the personal and shared. I'm going to try to go back and set up through primary on ipad and android. Would you suggest I delete 1password off windows and start over to retrieve the primary?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

when I had the extension in Windows on my browser it would not work and I was not able to auto fill anything. In my blog research I check for items in task manager that may need deleted and that wasn't an issue. I will install the extension again and try again on windows.

@steph6: I'm sorry for the trouble! As khad mentioned earlier, the 1Password 6 beta for Windows is a work in progress, so it does not yet have all of its features finished. It may be that you ran into some glitch, or had tried it before we'd added some of this functionality.

I installed the extension but when click on it nothing happens. I then made sure I was logged into 1P via the 1P6 app and when i go back and click on the extension it reads "No matching items found, click to open 1 Password". I click on it and nothing happens. In the non family account I use to have it was really nice to just click on the extension and access needs only via the extension. I seldom had to "open 1 password" Seems like I'll have to possibly do lots of steps to accomplish just logging in to various sites.

Indeed, 1Password 4 has been around for a while now so it is feature-complete. 1Password 6 will get there, but it will take some time. We're working on it though!

I'm still having issues. Please read above two posts and get back when you can. I've been working on this since 10 this morning. Tired but hopeful I can get this settled today.
    khad....I can now use the macbook since I changed to primary vault instead of personal. I was hoping to quit using dropbox sync across devices and just use the web account sync a but now I can't even find the Primary vault on the web account. Only the personal and shared. I'm going to try to go back and set up through primary on ipad and android. Would you suggest I delete 1password off windows and start over to retrieve the primary?

If you'd prefer to use 1Password 4 with Dropbox for now while 1Password 6 is still being developed, just uninstall 1Password 6 from Windows. This will not affect any of your vaults. And then when you install 1Password 4, you can open your existing vault in Dropbox (that's syncing with your other devices) to use it as you're accustomed to doing.

I'm really sorry you've had so much trouble with the beta, but we'll keep at it so that it will be better suited to you in the future so you can use 1Password Families on all of your devices. Please let me know if you have any questions so we can get you setup! :)

• steph6
    steph6
    Community Member

Thank you for responding brenty. I gave up early this morning.

Basically I got my android, ipad and macbook functioning again via dropbox sync. Windows not so much. Then I decided since the Primary was no longer showing up on web account since all transferred to personal I would go ahead and use 1password main account as syncing. But when I deleted the primary off macbook and connected all through personal the macbook book no longer functioning well (can't autofill) individual folders not showing up either. I did a test of deleting an item off my ipad last night but it did not sync across to the main 1password, mac or phone.

I already deleted the 1password 4 off my windows so if you would send a reinstall link I would appreciate it. Which browser ext should i run with it? I'm going to go through the process of syncing all account back through dropbox until you all work the kinks out. So want to get this family thing going as I help manage older family members finances now. Please thank you for hard work.

What might I be doing wrong to get this all synced through main web personal vault when I quit using dropbox? I noticed in dropbox my agilekeychain has items in data folder but no backup folder listed. Then on my harddrive I notice under agilekey their is no data in folder but a number of backups listed. Could this be an issue causing trouble?

• steph6
    steph6
    Community Member

I have resigned to just using the Primary vault synced via dropbox on my macbook air (1p6 ap), ipad, and phone. I've had continued trouble with Windows 10 (1p6). The primary vault was no longer showing up on my admin console web account , just personal and shared vaults under Family name).

So I created a vault in my web account with same name Primary to try to sync it via dropbox with other devices. But now the other devices show I have two vaults named Primary. The Primary Vault stands alone (only one I could get to work right on all devices) but the one I just created (and at least renamed to Primary 2) now shows up on devices under Family name with Personal and Shared.

How can I delete the Primary 2 vault and then get the Primary vault synced via dropbox on my other devices showing up on my admin console password account again? I had to keep using the Primary Vault on devices because the open and fill feature under the Personal Vault would not work. The Personal has all the logins/info as the Primary but won't function right not being synced through dropbox and just through 1p account.

Hope this makes sense and please help. I also wanted to delete 1 password 6 app off windows 10 and reinstall 1p4...can you send me the link to reinstall it?

Please and thank you. :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @steph6,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry for any confusion.

The primary vault was no longer showing up on my admin console web account , just personal and shared vaults under Family name).

The Primary vault will never show up on 1Password.com since it is completely outside your account on 1Password.com. Only vaults you create on 1Password.com will show up there. That includes the default Personal and Shared vaults, and any others you manually create on 1Password.com.

Vaults in your family account are synced by 1Password.com. The don't need to be and thus cannot be synced with Dropbox or iCloud or anything else. 1Password.com handles it all.

1Password Families requires 1Password 6 for Windows, so if you switch back to 1Password 4 for Windows you will not have access to your family vaults in the 1Password app on Windows. (You can still access them in your browser at 1Password.com, though.)

What I would recommend is to:

1. Delete the "Primary 2" vault you created on 1Password.com to avoid confusion.
    2. Sign in to your 1Password.com account in 1Password on your Mac.
    3. Move your items from your Primary vault to your Personal vault in your family account.
    4. Delete your Primary vault.

The steps for the last three of those are outlined in full here:

Move your data to a family or team account

Then, you should have all your data in 1Password 6 on Windows (presuming you are signed in to your 1Password.com account in the app).

That will give you all of your data everywhere without having to wrestle with Dropbox or vaults outside of your family account that you have to sync yourself.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Then I decided since the Primary was no longer showing up on web account since all transferred to personal I would go ahead and use 1password main account as syncing. But when I deleted the primary off macbook and connected all through personal the macbook book no longer functioning well (can't autofill) individual folders not showing up either.

@steph6: I'm sorry for the confusion there. The 1Password 6 beta is meant for 1Password Families/Teams currently, has only basic local vault support, and does not have folders (1Password Families/Teams uses tags). Primary vaults are local only, are not part of 1Password Families/Teams, and therefore cannot be accessed through 1Password.com.

I already deleted the 1password 4 off my windows so if you would send a reinstall link I would appreciate it. Which browser ext should i run with it? I'm going to go through the process of syncing all account back through dropbox until you all work the kinks out. So want to get this family thing going as I help manage older family members finances now. Please thank you for hard work.

No, thank you! I'm sorry for the struggle, but I appreciate your patience and willingness to work with us to figure out the best solution for your situation! I've resent your license information via email, so you can install the app and register it using the information there. But here also are links to both the app download and browser extensions:

1Password app downloads

1Password browser extensions

You may already have the browser extensions installed, as 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 use the same ones.

What might I be doing wrong to get this all synced through main web personal vault when I quit using dropbox? I noticed in dropbox my agilekeychain has items in data folder but no backup folder listed. Then on my harddrive I notice under agilekey their is no data in folder but a number of backups listed. Could this be an issue causing trouble?

Local vaults can be sync'd using Dropbox. 1Password Families/Teams vaults are stored on the server for you to access from your various devices. These are completely separate. If your current vault is in your Dropbox folder, it would make sense that you wouldn't find it elsewhere on your PC. The backups are automatic, and great if you find that you've accidentally deleted your data, since you can use them to restore in 1Password. I suspect that simply installing 1Password 4 (and the extensions, if necessary) will get you where you want to be now, unless you'd previously deleted your data as well. And if so, that's where the backups come in handy. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• steph6
    steph6
    Community Member

khad (and brenty)

I've had a couple of threads going in trying to resolve issues. The good news is I think I (we) have accomplished that now. I think the whole problem was trying to start out my family account on the Windows 10 operating system. :(

khad I applied steps you suggested on my macbook and it worked. I basically ended up with two entries of every log in but I just made sure to delete just the log ins that were not working by method of open and fill as well as didn't have complete info transferred (notes). I think this all happened because of starting out with the Windows 10 1password6 app. :(

Anyway thank you for making clearer the understanding of 1password account operations. Brenty I haven't yet read in detail the last post you sent this morning but I will.

Two other questions:

When I select backup....or when auto backups occur. Where is the back up stored on my harddrive? I assume now I could go ahead and delete the agilekeychain from my dropbox since I'm using the .com web account.

My older sister runs Windows 7. Should I wait awhile before getting her set up on my family account or is 1Password functioning ok with Windows 7.

Thank for all the help guys. Trying to "teach an old dog new tricks" is rough on you young folks!

Blessings

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steph6: If it's working for you, you can safely ignore my previous post! I guess khad and I were replying simultaneously.

When I select backup....or when auto backups occur. Where is the back up stored on my harddrive? I assume now I could go ahead and delete the agilekeychain from my dropbox since I'm using the .com web account.

The default location for backups is in the Documents folder for your Windows user account. If you are able to verify that you have backups there, then yes it's safe to delete the AgileKeychain from Dropbox if you're all setup using 1Password Families.

My older sister runs Windows 7. Should I wait awhile before getting her set up on my family account or is 1Password functioning ok with Windows 7.

The 1Password 6 beta for 1Password Families supports Windows 7 in addition to 8 and 10, so if you're confident that your sister will be comfortable using the beta app as you are, she'll have the same setup you do.

Thank for all the help guys. Trying to "teach an old dog new tricks" is rough on you young folks! Blessings

Any time! I'm really glad that we were able to help, and we're here for you if you — or your family — need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.