Technical differences between Teams and Families?

Options
Amarand
Amarand
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Families

Right now, our family is using two separate, local vaults running between two Macs and two PCs. It seems that it will be trivial to switch over to Families or Teams, and we're considering making the switch.

As IT professionals, using our vaults exclusively for personal use, we love the idea of having things secure, but also available in case of an emergency (like one of us dies, becomes incapacitated, etc.) and although it's not fun to think about, Families seems to have the benefit of the Emergency Kit, which can secured in a sealed envelopes within the safe, that way they're there for either party if needed. (I'm assuming each vault and account has its own unique Emergency Kit, correct?)

Having said that, are there any technical differences between Teams and Families, or is it simply the intended use?

In reading through the comparison charts, watching the videos, and reading through some of the posts here, it feels like maybe there aren't many differences, but it would be nice to know.

For example, I see a cute little picture of a bear with three umbrellas, but when reading through the FAQ, it feels like Families only mentions two factors. Am I misreading that? I'd like to get the best available security, and if Teams isn't that much more expensive, it might be worth going with that instead. Families is $5 for a family of 5. We have two vaults right now, and might have a third person (child) using that eventually. Would Teams integrate well into a family setting?

Again, looking for technical reasons why it might make sense to use Teams over Families.

Also, aside from the Emergency Kit, each vault can be kept separate and sovereign, encrypted with separate keys, individual items can be shared between family members by the vault owner, while leaving the rest of the vault completely secure/encrypted/unavailable to other family members, correct? (I'd asked this general question before, but I'm getting closer to purchase decision time - best to ask again to see if any improvements/changes have been made since I last asked.)

Lastly, does one pay for the service monthly (at $5 per month), or is it billed annually? If it's billed monthly by default, is there a discount for pre-paying for a year?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: Win 10 + OS X 10.11.5 + iOS 9.3.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:teams versus families

Comments

• Starmatrix
    Starmatrix
    Community Member
    Options

@Amarand I don't know all the details of the other questions you asked, but at least I can update you on pricing. AFAIK, 1P for Families is $5/mth but if you pay annually there is a 20% savings, so the total for one year is only $48. 1P for Teams? I'm unsure, sorry.

I'm sure others will chime in to answer the rest of your questions.

• Amarand
    Amarand
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Starmatrix ! That's actually super affordable. I'm sure someone will chime in on technical and cost differentials soon!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @Amarand

Thank you for your interest in 1Password Families, I will be glad to help you solve any doubts you have!

I'm assuming each vault and account has its own unique Emergency Kit, correct?

This is right! Each person (but not each vault) in the Family gets their own Emergency Kit and have a Personal Vault that only they can access. Emergency Kits are for people, not vaults.

In reading through the comparison charts, watching the videos, and reading through some of the posts here, it feels like maybe there aren't many differences, but it would be nice to know. For example, I see a cute little picture of a bear with three umbrellas, but when reading through the FAQ, it feels like Families only mentions two factors.

1Password Families and Teams are built on the same technology. While there are a few differences, the security aspect of them is exactly the same. The differences are mostly related to aspects that you only need on a laboral setting, for example fine-grained access control, or more guests.

Both Teams and Families have the three security features that you saw with the bear: Account Key, Master Password and a zero knowledge protocol that encrypts all traffic over the network. What this last thing means is that neither your Account key nor your Master Password will ever be sent over the internet. Your data will always be stored and sent to you encrypted and will only be decrypted directly on your device.

Again, looking for technical reasons why it might make sense to use Teams over Families.

You can do this if you prefer, of course, but if the two or three people using 1Password will essentially have their own data and then just a few items that everyone gets to know, I'm not sure you'd find a use for the special Teams features :chuffed:

Also, aside from the Emergency Kit, each vault can be kept separate and sovereign, encrypted with separate keys, individual items can be shared between family members by the vault owner, while leaving the rest of the vault completely secure/encrypted/unavailable to other family members, correct?

Yes, you have a Personal Vault that nobody else has access to, at all. You also have a Shared Vault, items stored there can be seen and edited by everyone. You can keep it empty if you don't want to share anything, or pick a few things like... a joint bank account and Netflix login there, while everything else is on personal, and so on. The other people on the Team or Family would never have access to what is stored in your Personal Vault.

Additional vaults can be created by the account organizer and they can choose who within the family, if anyone, to share those vaults with.

Lastly, does one pay for the service monthly (at $5 per month), or is it billed annually? If it's billed monthly by default, is there a discount for pre-paying for a year?

This one has been covered by Starmatrix already, but just to wrap it up, you have both options, to pay monthly at $5 a month or annually, where you get a 20% discount so it becomes $4 a month! :chuffed:

I hope this answers help you, but if you have any more questions or there's anything else that you would like to know about 1Password, please don't hesitate to ask, we're always here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.