Master Password stopped working

Options
dancamp009
dancamp009
Community Member

After my master PW stopped working, I registered with your site and created a new password,
But your site didn't ask for my old password, so i am assuming that this new PW is only for logging onto your site and will not act as my new Master PW, which proved true as the nee pw does not work as my Master PW after registering it on your site. And because you say you never need to know my master password or never need to pass it around on internet, I must assume this new PW is only for logging into your site. Is this assumption true? And if this is true, how can i reopen my 1password app now that my original Master PW just mysteriously stopped working?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dancamp009: It sounds like you may not have been using a 1Password Account previously (from a 1Password Families/Teams subscription) and just signed up. This will not help you access your existing data, as the subscription service is completely separate.

In either case, you'll need to enter the correct Master Password to unlock your vault. (Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password-not-accepted/

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• dancamp009
    dancamp009
    Community Member
    Options

It was all my fault. I forgot my correct password. But I just remembered it. Thank God.
    And you may have just answered my next question, which was now that I registered with your families website (after losing and before refinding my old password, will this new online password to your website effect my old and still existant, Master password? Or will it just remain in limbo online for accessing your family website?
    Then I'm wondering how you can say in your help files the new online pw will become your new Master pw, when you also say our master password is never sent online?
    Thank you for your help and thank God I finally remembered my old correct pw.
    And now, once again I do love and recommend your program, as long as this new online website pw does not really become my new 1password on my computers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dancamp009,

I’m so glad to hear you were able to remember your Master Password - that’s great!

now that I registered with your families website (after losing and before refinding my old password, will this new online password to your website effect my old and still existant, Master password? Or will it just remain in limbo online for accessing your family website?

The account you created on 1Password Families will give you a 30 day trial of our new 1Password account service, which has some pretty nifty features. It is completely separate from your existing 1Password database, but you’re welcome to check it out and see if you like what we have to offer there.

Then I'm wondering how you can say in your help files the new online pw will become your new Master pw, when you also say our master password is never sent online?

You can read all about the security of 1Password accounts on our website.

And now, once again I do love and recommend your program, as long as this new online website pw does not really become my new 1password on my computers.

While you can add your 1Password account (with the new Master Password you created) to the 1Password apps, your Master Password on the apps will not be auto-magically changed, don’t worry!

If you have any questions about 1Password accounts after reading the articles I’ve linked to, please let us know, we’d love to chat more!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dancamp009: I'm so happy to hear you were able to remember it! I also wanted to clarify that if you decide to switch to 1Password Families permanently after your trial, you won't need the other Master Password, and we're happy to help you through that transition if need. Also, even with 1Password Families, neither your Master Password nor Account Key are ever transmitted. The Master Password is chosen by you and no one else will know it unless you give it to them; and the Account Key is actually generated locally on your device when you create the account. You can read all about how this actually works in our knowledgebase that Megan linked, but I wanted to mention that here since it's just so awesome. Ain't technology amazing? And we're here for you if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.