If I typed my 1password on an open wifi network can my password be hacked?

Options
bjpete
bjpete
Community Member

Yesterday I tried to use 1Password in Cartwheel at Target. They require you use their open wifi. For some reason the Touch ID was also disabled in the store and I had to type my 1Password into the app. Then, Cartwheel disallowed me to cut and paste. The final part was getting locked out of the software and having to check out at a service desk, etc. etc. Then calling an 800 number....on and on. But, my greatest worry is typing my 1password into the 1Password app over an open wifi network. Can these keystroke be hacked and someone gain my other passwords? Interestingly enough, once I left the store and turned my phone off and back on the Touch ID was back.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:If I typed my 1password on an open wifi network can my password be hacked?

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bjpete

You ask a very interesting question. Whether you're using the 1Password with local vaults or with a 1Password Families or Teams account, your Master Password is never sent over the internet. You would need to have installed yourself a key logger, and even then, they'd also need access to the data file or the account key (whether you are using local vaults or accounts). In summary, there is no risk in using 1Password on public Wi-Fi.

About the last part: "Interestingly enough, once I left the store and turned my phone off and back on the Touch ID was back.", I think that's due exactly to having turned it off and back on, that's how a big percentage of software issue are solved!

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that you would like to know about 1Password, we're always here for you! :chuffed:

• bjpete
    bjpete
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for responding and for answering this question.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bjpete,

I’m so glad that Pilar was able to answer your question! If there’s anything else you’d like to know about 1Password and security, don’t hesitate to ask, we’re always happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.