Cleaning up sync etc across multiple devices

Options
Londoner2016
Londoner2016
Community Member

Hello. I'm ready to go "all in" and make 1P a major part of my (screen) life. I am not sure I have things set-up optimally as I have problems from time to time with sync. One question is whether all devices/desktops should use the same sync approach? In the past I have had both going at the same time for some reason. Here is what I have (all devices/computers with OS and app fully up-to-date):

iphone 6 (9.3.2)
ipad Air (9.3.3)
windows desktop (1password4.6.0.604; windows 10 enterprise)
home imac
dropbox 6.4 on desktop and up-to-date everywhere else

Currently my ipad shows primary "set up syncing" and 1password "dropbox".

1. Should I set this (and other apple devices) to icloud or better to have everything going via dropbox?
  2. For some reason I have two vaults in dropbox, one in apps and one directly in 1password. Obviously I need all devices set to the same one (the one without apps). Is there any reason I should not delete the other vault (the one in apps)? I have no idea how it got there.

Thank you very much.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.43
OS Version: ios 9.3.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Londoner2016,

Congratulations on what should be a simplification of your (screen) life. Once you have your sync plan in action your electronic security should be seamless and almost effortless. The following is my take on your choices:

Should I set this (and other apple devices) to icloud or better to have everything going via dropbox?

The main criteria for me would be how convenient it will be for you to use more than one method to manage your various devices and secondarily your level of comfort with syncing in the cloud (vs. doing it locally). As you say, your set of devices won't be fully served by the iCloud option ("It’s only available on Mac and iOS, and only syncs your Primary vault"). However, it may keep your Apple devices up to date without specific attention from you and then you can choose when you need to sync the Windows desktop.

WiFi is another local sync solution that is very simple to set up and fast to do, but doesn't include support for your Windows desktop either ("You can sync your Mac or PC with your iOS or Android devices over a local wireless network"). It isn't automatic like iCloud, but it is very user friendly.

Dropbox serves all, but unlike iCloud you will need to make a point of syncing. I myself don't need to sync that often and I prefer to do so locally, which would push my choice in this direction.

For some reason I have two vaults in dropbox, one in apps and one directly in 1password. Obviously I need all devices set to the same one (the one without apps). Is there any reason I should not delete the other vault (the one in apps)? I have no idea how it got there.

I am not sure how or why the vault in apps is there, but perhaps someone else on the forum can offer more insight into that. Are the two instances at a size that would be possible for you to compare? I would find it very worrisome to hit delete if I couldn't be 100% certain I had all my data safe, no matter what the explanation is.

You have probably already seen this, but just in case you haven't come across it, it is a comprehensive description of all types of syncing supported by 1PW: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/ .

I hope these thoughts offer some assistance and that your set-up proceeds smoothly. There are lots of knowledgable and helpful folks here if more questions arise.
    Margeau

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Londoner2016: I think Dropbox is definitely the way to go, and while it may not have been completely clear from Margeau's great reply, it works much the same as iCloud: once you set it up, your data will be sync'd automatically, and it works across all platforms.

Regarding the vault question, the best way to resolve this would be to double-click the questionable vault in Dropbox on your Mac to open it in 1Password as a secondary vault. If it's obsolete or unneeded data, you can safely delete it from the 1Password menu and also from your Dropbox folder. However, if it has data in there you want, you right-click to Share and Move them to your preferred vault, and then it will sync to your other devices using that same vault.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions at all! :)

This discussion has been closed.