Veteran 1P user, new to Teams. Various Questions!

Hey,

Been using 1Password for a long time personally, recently switched to Family which is so much better! I'm also in the process of setting up our company on 1Password (for reasons which should be obvious.)

I have a couple of specific questions, hopefully by sticking them here they can help others who are about to take the plunge.

1.) If I'm an admin and I have to create a new password on behalf of an individual (which should live in their Personal vault) how do I put it in there for them?
2.) If a team member leaves, gets hit by a bus etc. Can I, as an admin, take over their vault? In theory, I shouldn't need to because all shared logins exist in shared vaults, but I'm sure situations will come up where this is necessary.
3.) We have a mix of Operating systems - mostly Mac, some windows and a very small number of Linux, which our devs like to use. What features will the guys on Linux miss out on? I'm aware there is no client as such, but there is a web interface. Will they be able to get auto-filling, password updating etc from a Chrome extension? I was under the impression the chrome ext. requires the native app to work, at least on OS X?

I'm sure I'll come across more, but those are a good place to start.

Thanks!
Dan

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @danielknight! Thanks so much for using 1Password and looking to bring your team onboard as well. :) I'd be happy to answer your questions.

If I'm an admin and I have to create a new password on behalf of an individual (which should live in their Personal vault) how do I put it in there for them?

The easiest way to do this is create a vault that will be shared between you and that member. Once they accept their invite and you confirm them as a member of the team, you can share this vault with them and add the password(s) you want to give them to it. Our admin guide is a good place to start for this:

1Password Teams Admin Guide: Getting Started

If a team member leaves, gets hit by a bus etc. Can I, as an admin, take over their vault? In theory, I shouldn't need to because all shared logins exist in shared vaults, but I'm sure situations will come up where this is necessary.

Yikes! I don't want to walk in the street again now. :| Only the member has access to their Personal vault, and you can't take access of it. This is to protect their privacy and security mainly. You can remove them from the team but this will delete everything in their Personal vault. I would recommend just telling your team to use 1Password Families or a vault outside their team account for storing personal stuff so they don't lose access to it when they leave the company. It's not the most optimistic thing, thinking about when you might leave the company, but it will save you and them time in the end.

We have a mix of Operating systems - mostly Mac, some windows and a very small number of Linux, which our devs like to use. What features will the guys on Linux miss out on? I'm aware there is no client as such, but there is a web interface. Will they be able to get auto-filling, password updating etc from a Chrome extension? I was under the impression the chrome ext. requires the native app to work, at least on OS X?

At some point we want to have a browser extension that is able to function on its own. This would be awesome for Linux and ChromeOS folks. It's a ways out, though. We're working on improving Windows support right now since it's a bit behind Mac. The reason I mention that is so you aren't too surprised when you try it out. Right now, 1Password Teams is supported in the 1Password 6 beta for Windows, which is coming along quite nicely but has a little bit left in development.

Help us welcome 1Password 6 to our Windows family!

Hope that answers all your questions! Let us know if you have any others. :)

• danielknight
    danielknight
    Community Member

Thanks @Jacob. That mostly answers my questions. The only comment I do have is that creating a whole vault just to share 1 password (no pun intended) with another member of the team is kinda overkill. It would be great if there was some sort of 'send password to vault' functionality. So, while I don't get to actually see or access people's personal vaults, I can drop a new login or password in if needed.

I do get the feeling I'm going to get push back from the Windows people on the team, since support is behind Mac right now. I'll see what I can do, but I did have issues getting the extension working with 1P 6 Beta and Chrome on Windows. I think that was an RTFM error on my behalf though, so will try again. In all honesty, as long as Auto-filling works I think it'll be fine for now.

Stand-alone browser extension support would be amazing - if nothing else just as a way of being able to standardise functionality across OS platforms. I very much look forward to that day!

Thanks for your help!

• @danielknight I hear you there. We hear you, actually. We've had a lot of requests for individual item sharing and it's something we're working on. It's a little more of a challenge than vaults since there are a few possibilities, but we're doing our best. :) Keep an eye out for updates.

I do get the feeling I'm going to get push back from the Windows people on the team, since support is behind Mac right now. I'll see what I can do, but I did have issues getting the extension working with 1P 6 Beta and Chrome on Windows. I think that was an RTFM error on my behalf though, so will try again. In all honesty, as long as Auto-filling works I think it'll be fine for now.

That's okay! If your team needs something the app doesn't have, or there's a bug somewhere, just let us know and we'll help you out. The Windows beta is the most rapidly developed app we have right now and we're trying to get a stable version out there for your team and others in August. Feedback is welcome. :) Standalone browser extensions are something we would love to do, but right now we're working on some other exciting features. It's been on the list, though, and I appreciate your vote for it.

Hope that helps! Feel free to email us Windows feedback at support@1password.com or post it in the Windows beta forum. We're happy to work things out.

ref: B5-1162

This discussion has been closed.