Still asking for old master password after change

Options
longkt90
longkt90
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

Hi there,

I'm using 1Password for team, signed on both iOS and Mac.

I change the master password from p1 to p2 using Mac app and close the app. Open it again it ask for a password and I enter the new password p2 but it's invalid, luckily I remember the old password, the app only let me in with the old password p1.

Then I go to change password again, it asks for current password, I enter the pass p1 but it say invalid. The valid password is p2. Close the 1PAssword app and only p1 is valid to open 1Password.

Please help, just moved from LastPass to 1Password but it's annoying

_1Password Version: Version 6.3.1 (631006)

Extension Version: Not Provided
_OS Version: el capitan 10.11.6 (15G31)
_Sync Type: Icloud for primary vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@longkt90: Sorry for the trouble! Once you've unlocked 1Password with the "old" Master Password, the change should be able to sync, and then the next time you'll be able to use the "new" one. But since it sounds like that's not happening, I wonder if sync is failing in the first place. Are you able to create a new item on each device and have it sync to the other? Disabling iCloud sync in 1Password on the Mac and then re-enabling it may help. Please let me know what you find!

• longkt90
    longkt90
    Community Member
    Options

Are you able to create a new item on each device and have it sync to the other?

Yes, all the passwords are sync, I added a lot of passwords (from Lastpass) and they are available on my iphone.

Disabling iCloud sync in 1Password on the Mac and then re-enabling it may help.

I did but no luck, the master pass when open the app is still old password, the current password require here new password

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb45fvcyfumlr1h/Screenshot 2016-07-24 18.09.10.png?dl=0

Is there anything else I can do to have it solved?

Btw cannot upload attachments in this forum, the upload area is overwritten, see this image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b133f9nyvvnzwvs/Screenshot 2016-07-24 18.12.35.png?dl=0

• longkt90
    longkt90
    Community Member
    Options

The upload area appear after I confirm my email, small bug only happen when confirmation popup overwrite the upload form I think.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@longkt90: Sorry for the trouble there! I know that 3rd party extensions can cause issues with the forums too, but it sounds like it's working for you now.

I did but no luck, the master pass when open the app is still old password, the current password require here new password
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb45fvcyfumlr1h/Screenshot 2016-07-24 18.09.10.png?dl=0

From this screenshot, it appears that you're trying to change the Master Password again. Is that correct? If you enter the old one and change it to the new one, does that work? Let me know if that helps!

• longkt90
    longkt90
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I did change from p1 to p2, then login it asks for p1.

I go to that change password screen just to know which password I'm using. Since if I input the right password, it will go to password confirmation screen, if wrong it will say password is wrong.

The only password accepted in changing password screen is p2 (which is correct since I changed) but when open or login the app it only accept p1.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @longkt90,

I think I know what the problem here might be: In your screenshot, it looks like you're changing the master password for your 1Password Teams account. However, in your original message, you said you also have a Primary vault which is syncing via iCloud. Your Primary vault is not part of your Teams account, and it has its own master password - in fact, when you unlock 1Password for Mac, it's asking you for the master password associated with the Primary vault, which is still the same one you used to use (changing the master password for your Teams account doesn't change the master password for your Primary vault).

What you'll need to do is change the master password for your Primary vault. To do that, switch to your Primary vault in the 1Password app, then go to 1Password > Preferences > Security and click the Change Master Password button. The new password you choose here will be the one you'll need to enter to unlock 1Password for Mac.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes and if you're still having trouble with that. Thanks!

• longkt90
    longkt90
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks a lot for your help, it's actually 2 different passwords, I follow your steps and was able to change password for my personal vault.

Thanks again
    Long

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, I'm glad to hear you were able to get things straightened out! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.