1Password not prompting to save new Logins

Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni

Comments

• ebbesenjt
    ebbesenjt
    Community Member

I am having a problem adding new Logins to 1password. Can you help. I don't see how I can do that. I didn't have a problem before so not sure what the problem is. Also when I am on a web site losing in the l password doesn't pop up for me to add it. Didn't have this problem before. Can you help? What am I missing........
    Thanks, Joanne

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ebbesenjt,

Since this sounds like a different problem than the one we helped you solve in the previous thread, I've moved your message to a new discussion. I hope you don't mind!

To make sure I understand: It sounds like 1Password no longer asks if you want to save a new Login item when you sign into a website for the first time. Does that describe the problem you're running into?

If so, are you still using Safari? And does the 1Password extension still appear in Safari's toolbar? Are you able to use the 1Password extension to sign into websites where you've already saved a Login item?

If the extension is still installed and can use existing Login items to sign into websites, but it just doesn't prompt you to save new ones, please check this setting:

• Open the main 1Password app (unlock with your master password if prompted).
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar, then click the Browsers tab.
    • Make sure the option for "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them" is enabled (if it isn't, click on that option to enable it).

If that option was disabled, does it work once you enable it? Or if it was already enabled, please let us know if the 1Password extension is working otherwise, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• ebbesenjt
    ebbesenjt
    Community Member

Thanks Drew for getting back to me. I did all the above and the "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them WAS enabled. I don't seem to be able to ADD new login OR for the 1 password to ask if I want to save the login and password for the sight I am on. It WILL allow me to use the already existing logins that I have already in my 1 password account. I am STILL using Safari and the 1 Password extension appears in my top toolbar. YES your description in your second paragraph is correct.

I hope you can help me.
    Thanks, Joanne

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Joanne ( @ebbesenjt ),

Thanks for getting back to us with that information! I’ve got a few more follow-up questions as we work to track this down:

1. Are you seeing this behaviour on a particular website, or is this consistent no matter which site you visit? (If there’s a specific site, we’d love to see the web address so we can do some testing on our end.)
    2. It sounds like you might already have sign in information saved for the site that you’re talking about - are you entering different sign in information and 1Password is failing to ask you to save or update your details?
    3. If you try to manually save the information does 1Password store the details correctly?
  • ebbesenjt
    ebbesenjt
    Community Member

Just wanted to let you know that I may have figured 1 password out but still have some issues with it not asking to save when I am on a new or not entered website. It does not always do so. Not sure why. Also sometimes I have to click on the login information in 1 password twice to get it to fill/enter.
    Also I have not figured out how to generate a new, more secure password, for an already entered site that is in 1 password without messing things up.
    Thanks for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ebbesenjt,

I’m glad to hear that you’re starting to get the hang of 1Password! Sometimes it can take a while to get used to the new way of doing things, but I hope that soon it becomes as easy as pie.

still have some issues with it not asking to save when I am on a new or not entered website. It does not always do so. Not sure why.

We try to train 1Password to notice all kinds of sign-in forms, but it’s not always perfect. Some sites have a very unique design that can be difficult for 1Password to read. When you come across a site like this, we’d love it if you would share the web address with us. We’ll pass it along to our ‘filling team’ and see if they can improve 1Password’s behaviour on the site.

In those cases where 1Password does not automatically ask you to save your details, following the instructions that I linked to above (Saving a New Login Manually will help you get the information into 1Password.

Also sometimes I have to click on the login information in 1 password twice to get it to fill/enter.

Could you tell me a little bit more about how you are using 1Password to fill in your details? Are you clicking the information from the main app or the browser extension?

Here’s how I use 1Password to fill in information for me:

1. Use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) to open 1Password mini in my menu bar. (You could also click on the 1Password icon to open mini).
    2. Start typing the name of the item I wish to fill.
    3. Once the entry is highlighted, I hit Enter.
    4. 1Password opens a new tab in my browser to the web address I want and fills in my sign in details.

I love this method because I don’t even have to open a tab in my browser and type in the web address. 1Password does it all for me.

Also I have not figured out how to generate a new, more secure password, for an already entered site that is in 1 password without messing things up.

Have you checked out any of our tutorial videos? How to change your passwords and make them stronger should give you exactly the answers that you seek. But if you still have questions, you know where to find us!

• ebbesenjt
    ebbesenjt
    Community Member

Megan, Thank you so much for all your help. As you said it takes awhile to get use to 1 password but everyday I am getting a little more familiar with the way it works. Your information has been very helpful. I will continue to explore the instructions and will check back if I need anymore help.
    Thanks, Joanne

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm really glad Megan's information has been so helpful for you! Once you become a bit more familiar with 1Password, I'm sure it'll seem much, much easier for you. But as always, if you run into any problems or have questions about it, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.