Multiple Accts, 1 Computer

Options
katy_denver
katy_denver
Community Member

Hi! I have a Macbook Pro and would like to run multiple 1Passwords accts on it: 1 for my personal use (to share with my family) and 2 for separate businesses that I am affiliated with. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for your help!

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.1 (610006) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:two accounts one mac

Comments

• jo-b
    jo-b
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I think, using different vaults should be a way. Syncing vaults via Dropbox is shown here https://support.1password.com/dropbox-share-vault/

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @katy_denver,

Thanks for writing in with your question!

Just to make sure I understand, when you refer to multiple accounts, are you talking about 1Password Teams and 1Password Families accounts? If you are a member of different Teams and/or Families, then yes, you'll be able to add each of those accounts to the 1Password app on your Mac. If you've already set up the 1Password app, just open it and go to 1Password > Preferences > Accounts, then click the + button to add another account.

On the other hand, are you asking if two different people can use the 1Password app on the same Mac, with each person only accessing only their own 1Password data? In that case, you would want to set up multiple OS X user accounts on that Mac. Each Mac account on that Mac would have access to the same 1Password app in the Applications folder, but the user data would be separate.

Now, you mentioned you use Dropbox to sync your data, and that wouldn't have anything to do with a Families or Teams account, so perhaps jo-b was correct that you're asking how to share vaults with different people using Dropbox sharing? If so, the link in his message should help you with that.

If you can let us know more specifically what you're asking about, we'll be happy to help get you on the right track. :)

• katy_denver
    katy_denver
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again. Here's more detail:
    I have a 1password account that I am using (for business), on my home computer as well as at my office on a different computer. That is currently syncing via drop box.
    I would like to sign up for another account - for my family to use.
    I would like to sign up for a third account - for my 2nd business to use (separate from above mentioned business) and would like my team members to have access.
    I am the only person accessing/will be accessing on this computer.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for clarifying, @katy_denver!

To make sure we're on the same page, I wanted to explain that unless you've signed up for 1Password Teams or 1Password Families, you don't actually have an account with us - in other words, you're not using our servers to store/sync your 1Password data, and you aren't able to access your data on 1Password.com. Your 1Password data is stored locally on the device(s) where you use it, and since you're using Dropbox to sync 1Password, a copy of your data is also in Dropbox. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, I just wanted to mention it to avoid confusion when I refer to "accounts" later in this response. :)

It sounds like what you would like to do is create additional vaults in 1Password on your Mac, then share those vaults with others via Dropbox. That's definitely possible, and we explain how to set that up here: How to share a vault using Dropbox

You mentioned you bought 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, so that purchase is tied to the Apple ID you used to buy it. You can share that purchase with family members who use different Apple IDs on their Macs by setting up Apple's Family Sharing option, which allows other family members to download 1Password from the Mac App Store for no additional charge. Apple has steps to set up Family Sharing on their support site here: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18977

However, your business/team members would need to purchase their own licenses for 1Password (unless they already have their own licenses, of course). They can either buy it from the Mac App Store like you did, or they can buy licenses from our own AgileBits Store.

But there's actually an alternative to all of what I've mentioned above, and this is where I get back to the whole "accounts" thing. ;)

A better solution to share 1Password data with your family and coworkers would probably be to sign up for 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. Those links will explain more about it, but essentially Families and Teams are subscription services we introduced this year which makes sharing your 1Password data very easy and manageable. Anyone you invite to be part of the family or team you create will be able to use our 1Password apps on each supported platform (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) for free, and the subscription also includes free future upgrades to those apps.

I hope what I've explained above makes sense - but if you have more questions about any of that, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to go into more detail!

• katy_denver
    katy_denver
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! Appreciate the clarification. I will read thru and act on your advice. I'll be back in touch with any other questions once I put this in motion. Have a great day!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @katy_denver! Please do let us know if you have any questions about that. You know where to find us! ;)

This discussion has been closed.