How do I Stop “Sync To A Folder?”.

gymmiedeemoye
gymmiedeemoye
Community Member

How do I Stop “Sync To A Folder?”. We sync 1password to a network server. The server failed and will not be replaced. We are now getting an error message “There was a problem connecting to the server “Drobo5n.local” that lock the screen when using 1password.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: folder
Referrer: forum-search:How do I Stop “Sync To A Folder?”. We sync 1password to a network server. The server failed and will not be replaced. We are now getting an error message “There was a problem connecting to the server “Drobo5n.local” that lock the screen when using 1password.

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @gymmiedeemoye , I sorry to hear the bad news about your server :(

To stop synchronisation with a folder, you will need to
    • Open the 1Password Preferences (1Password Menu or command + , [comma] )
    • Choose 'Sync'
    • Open the dropdown menu
    • Select 'None' or an alternative sync method

You write that 1Password is locking up your Mac when it tries to sync? If this is the case, you will either need to hit command + ' immediately when 1Password unlocks, or eventually try downloading and reinstalling the app.

To reinstall, simply move the 1Password app to the trash, do not use an uninstaller app such as AppCleaner, AppZapper, CleanApp, etc. as these may also delete 1Password's supporting files, which can result in the deletion all of your 1Password data.

I hope this helps, but if you still have questions, there is always someone around to assist you.
    Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gymmiedeemoye

I'm sorry to hear about your server crashing and causing some trouble! The instructions that rjh gave you to stop syncing are accurate, I hope they help! If you have any trouble or bump into any issue please let us know and we'll be glad to help you make sure 1Password is up and running for you again! :chuffed:

• Gymdee
    Gymdee
    Community Member

This rah & Pilar. I changed the sync option to "none". The command +' did not seem to have an effect on 1password generating a"There was a problem connecting to the server "Drobo5n.local" interrupting dialogue box message and locking up the screen. So I did a bootable backup and the next part of your suggestion. After putting 1password app from the Application Folder in the trash I installed a new 1password app from you link. It seemed to install fine. There were no request for passwords, certification, or license numbers.

The interrupt and screen problem continues. Should have I empty the trash before installing the down load? Gym

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gymdee,

I'm sorry you're still having some trouble with this!

The interrupt and screen problem continues.

If I understand, 1Password is still giving you the error message about a problem connecting to the network server? If you changed the sync setting from Folder to None, I'm not sure why that would still be happening. Can you please double-check the sync settings:

• Open 1Password (enter your master password if prompted).
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • If 'Folder' is still currently selected there, change it to None (then click the Disable Sync button, if prompted).
    • If you have multiple vaults in 1Password, please select each one on the left side of the sync settings and make sure to disable Folder sync for each one, if enabled.

If that doesn't work or if you are unable to disable the sync settings in 1Password, please try these steps to solve the problem:

• Open 1Password and go to File > Backup from the menu.
    • In the Backup preferences window, select the new backup you just created and click the Restore button (follow the steps to complete the restore).
    • After the restore, open & unlock 1Password and go back to Preferences > Sync to confirm it is set to None.

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• Gymdee
    Gymdee
    Community Member

Thanks for the continued ideas. Keep them coming.

Situation remains the same. This is what I did and the results. The multiple vaults was a good call. I forgot about that. There are three. Mine, Diane's and Demo. I checked each one re: you post. Each were checked "none". But there was no "Disable Sync" button. I then follow your guide and opened the "Backup" screen. There were no backup files I could find, both using "Show Files" & "Find Backup". Where would they normally be? Nothing was listed. Therefore I was not able to complete your suggestions. Additionally I thought, maybe, my copy of 1password had been fixed along the way and the one on Diane's machine was causing the interrupt message, so I deleted her server software and disconnected her from the network. No luck, still getting the interrupt. - Gym

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gymdee,

Let’s take a closer look at your system to see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Gymdee
    Gymdee
    Community Member

Megan - Thanks for your attention to my frustration situation. Wished we had never did "Sync to Folder". Ah that was then, this is now. Moving on.

I know how to create a diagnostic report for some of our publishers but not for 1password. Or are you asking for a diagnostic report for this iMac of which I am not sure I know that also. I'm a little green on this forum how and where etc.. Where would I find the link for this thread?

In looking for 1password diagnostic report creation in the app toolbar I found "Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder Sync" under "Help Tools" checked. I uncheck it but it didn't change anything. I checked it back leaving everything as it was. - gym

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gymdee,

I’m sorry for the confusion!

Where would I find the link for this thread?

The instructions in this article should walk you through the process of creating and sending a Report in to us.

In looking for 1password diagnostic report creation in the app toolbar I found "Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder Sync" under "Help Tools" checked. I uncheck it but it didn't change anything. I checked it back leaving everything as it was.

This setting determines the format your data will be in when you sync using Dropbox or Folder Sync. It won’t have any effect on the issues that you’re seeing right now.

• Gymdee
    Gymdee
    Community Member

Megan - And where or how do I create, find the link you need to connect the dots mentioned in you post? - gym

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gymdee,

The "link to this thread" Megan asked you to include in your diagnostics report email is simply the website address for this forum discussion. Website addresses are usually shown at the top of your browser window. I'll also include it below, for your convenience:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/67133/how-do-i-stop-sync-to-a-folder

Please let us know if you have more questions about sending us the diagnostics report. Thanks! :)

• Gymdee
    Gymdee
    Community Member

I received the auto response to the diagnostic email. The ID number is #LCG-71489-485. - gym

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gymdee,

First of all, I apologize for misunderstanding your question earlier - I’m glad Drew was able to clear things up.

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: LCG-71489-485

• Gymdee
    Gymdee
    Community Member

10-4 I will look to my email for further guidance. Thanks - gym

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.