had to force quit while editing a secure note. now screens are not correct and cannot even see notes

Options
berndt
berndt
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

while editing a secure note, an edit window that was unreadable masked the save button and text in the window stretched and distorted. tried to see in full screen and lost any ability to access controls. forced quit, and relaunched but now i can only see a basic screen with out the usual features and menus. Screens are plain white not the fancy colored screens seen before. This version will allow me to edit a note in the window without the old weird popup.

1Password Version: 6.3.1 631006
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 0S 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:had to force quit while editing a secure note. now screens are not correct and cannot even see notes

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @berndt,

I'm sorry you're having such a strange problem with 1Password! I don't know what caused the odd behavior in the first place, but we'll help you solve this one way or another.

forced quit, and relaunched but now i can only see a basic screen with out the usual features and menus. Screens are plain white not the fancy colored screens seen before.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fancy colored screens", can you please elaborate on that? The background of the main 1Password app window is normally white when viewing and editing items. If your Mac is set to use "dark mode", 1Password mini will display your data with a dark background, but the edit window should still be white. So I don't quite understand what you were seeing before. Also, what features and menus seem to be missing? Is this happening in the main 1Password app, or in 1Password mini?

Are you able to view & edit your items?

This version will allow me to edit a note in the window without the old weird popup.

What sort of "old weird popup" do you mean? Exactly when did that popup used to appear, and what did it say? Any details you can remember about that might help us to understand what you're referring to.

Also, if I understand, it sounds like you're now able to edit your items correctly?

• berndt
    berndt
    Community Member
    Options

The secure notes display sub screen had a yellow lined tablet look with the lower right corner turned up for adding a note. The edit button was at the lower left. when edit was clicked, a miniature window opened over the title bar and there was another window that blocked the upper and lower bars in that sub window. Clicking on text then would enlarge that window and show text in a distorting and stretching font. it would allow entering changes but with the distorted fonts. the distortion increased even when no key or mouse entries were active. Since the overall window showed the usual red close, yellow minimize and a third green that looked like a full screen option. clicking on the 'full screen' did in fact do the full screen but at that point the app was frozen and had to be forced to quit from the Activity Monitor utility.
    After relaunch, the main screen is 'plain vanilla' all white back grounds, little note icon in the upper line, edit button in the secure note on lower right, and editing within that window.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @berndt! Your description was very helpful, and I think I understand exactly what's happening now:

The secure notes display sub screen had a yellow lined tablet look with the lower right corner turned up for adding a note. The edit button was at the lower left.

It sounds like you're describing 1Password 3 for Mac. Version 3 is much older and hasn't been in development for years now, and unfortunately it is not fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). In fact, the problems you mentioned (distorted text when editing, freezing/crashing when trying to expand to full screen, and so on) are common issues that can happen when trying to use 1Password 3 on El Capitan. We explain more about that here: 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

After relaunch, the main screen is 'plain vanilla' all white back grounds, little note icon in the upper line, edit button in the secure note on lower right, and editing within that window.

This sounds like you're describing 1Password 6 for Mac, which is the latest version (and which you said you're using in your initial post). After you force-quit 1Password 3, you simply opened 1Password 6 instead - but if you didn't realize you were launching a different version, I can see how it would be confusing, as version 6 looks much different than version 3. 1Password 6 is fully compatible with El Capitan and is the version you should be using now.

If you go to the Applications folder on your Mac, you will likely find both copies of 1Password there. Version 3 has an icon of a key, and version 6 has an icon of a key hole. Do you have all your latest 1Password data in 1Password 6?

This discussion has been closed.