Changes made inside my data file

Options
cjmiller
cjmiller
Community Member

I am not sure what is going on I store my data on Dropbox and am getting all these changed file warnings for files jnside and it has word conflict

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cjmiller,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about what you're seeing within the file in Dropbox!

Assuming you're using 1Password 4 or higher for Mac, then the .agilekeychain or .opvault file in Dropbox is used only for syncing purposes (your main 1Password database is stored in another location on your Mac). That sync file is made up of many smaller files which represent the data in your vault. When you change an item in 1Password on one device, it copies those changes to the sync file in Dropbox, which updates the appropriate files there.

If you're seeing 'conflict' files in the .agilekeychain or .opvault in Dropbox, that's most likely normal. During a sync, if Dropbox can't determine which version of a file is the correct/updated one, it creates conflict files so it doesn't have to choose one or the other (and risk deleting something important). 1Password will see those conflict files in Dropbox and understand what to do with them (if you've ever noticed "Conflict" fields in an item in 1Password, that's why that happens).

I guess this is all sort of a long way of explaining that seeing 'conflict' files in your sync file in Dropbox isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sync conflicts are natural side effects of syncing, so that might happen occasionally. Looking at the encrypted files inside a .agilekeychain or .opvault can be confusing - what's more important is what you see when you open the 1Password app. Are you having any problems syncing your 1Password data between different devices? Or if you make a change on one device, does it show up correctly on another? If that's working correctly, don't worry about the files in Dropbox. But if you're having a problem syncing your 1Password data, we'll be happy to help solve that. :)

• cjmiller
    cjmiller
    Community Member
    Options

Ok but why would this start happening today I never noticed it before and shouldn't these conflicts resolve I am the only one who uses this file and I use it I two different Macs no one is on the other machine

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cjmiller

It doesn't happen all the time, it sounds like you had never noticed but now that you know it's there you can't stop seeing it. Being the only one using the computers is not exactly what affects whether this conflict exists or not, having just 1 person using the devices is the most common scenario. As Drew explained before, this can be seen as one more of the many safety nets. If there is any doubt for Dropbox about which file is the correct one it will keep both. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.