Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+\

Backspaze
Backspaze
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Eager to install the latest build of the desktop version I skimmed through the change log and only noticed the added keyboard shortcut.

If I remember it correctly it's supposed to be Ctrl+Alt+\ but it doesn't seem to work for me. I have a Swedish keyboard layout if that somehow causes any issues. I've tried Ctrl+Alt+every-other-possible-key, both in a web browser (Firefox) and in the OS, without any luck.

1Password Version: 6.0.178d
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• @Backspaze please try again, then type /log in search box, hit enter, copy and send log to us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com

We use Windows API to find out which key maps to \ , but apparently something is missing. Thanks in advance!

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

I've sent a log now, hope you can find the issue.

On a related note, I'm having some issues bringing the app to the foreground.

If the app is unlocked and open in the background, clicking the browser extension on a site without any matching objects brings up the message "No matching items...click to open...". Clicking that message brings the app to the foreground, so that's working as intended.

If I repeat that scenario but with the app locked in the background the icon in the taskbar starts flashing but it doesn't bring the app to the foreground.

With the latest update you can (at last!) minimize the app to the systray, but if the app is locked and minimized nothing happens at all when you click the browser extension. If it's unlocked and minimized the "No matching items...click to open..." message pops up but nothing happens when you click that message.

No matter if it's locked, unlocked, in the background or foreground, minimized or whatnot, clicking the browser extension or using the keyboard shortcut should always just fill in the required credential, or bring the app to the foreground if necessary for unlocking or searching etc.

• After some investigation it appears that for Swedish keyboard \ (backslash) is located at ~ (above tab key). We will look into making things easier for such scenarios. Thanks for bringing this up!

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

Hmm, then I suppose the actual physical keyboard layout is only somewhat related to key references in the software. On my keyboard I press Ctrl+Alt+second-button-to-the-left-of-backspace (see image) or Alt Gr+that-same-button to get a backslash.

The tilde key (~) only yields § or ½ no matter what key combo i try.

• I've tried with Swedish (Sweden) layout on US physical keyboard, that might cause the difference. When we register hotkey with the system we ask system to give us key code from \ character. It looks like we need to think something for Swedish and other different keyboard layouts.

Do you have only one keyboard layout (Swedish) or you use two layouts (English + Swedish)?

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

I only use Swedish keyboard layout. I tried the US layout just now and I can't type a \ no matter what I try.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Backspaze: We'll be adding the option of setting the shortcut manually in the future, but I can't say when that may be. I'm sorry for the trouble! Thanks for your patience. :(

• miniskulljob
    miniskulljob
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

I have a problem with this shortcut. My keyboard layout is Spanish (Spain) and to write the "\" symbol we use "Alt Gr + \". The problem is that, if I have the application open, I'm unable to write the "\" symbol in any application with keyboard input. That's any application like notepad, Chrome, Firefox, etc. I have to close 1Password every time I want to write that symbol, and, being a developer, that's a pretty common thing to happen.
    You should let the user set (or disable) that shortcut, or change it to something that doesn't interfere with any keyboard layout.

BTW, same thing happens with "Ctrl + Alt + \".

• @miniskulljob thanks for letting us know of this issue, we are investigating why system intercepts more than we have asked.

• @miniskulljob i think we have found a good approach, when primary keyboard layout is German or Spanish (we will add other languages as we learn about them), the default key will be Ctrl+Alt+# (same as 1Password 4 for Windows is doing now). In case you don't like default - visit options and choose your key :)

p.s. all of this is coming shortly with next update 6.0.182

• miniskulljob
    miniskulljob
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile great, thank you! Those are great news. As always, thanks for the quick response and hard work. :)

• Please give it a try, I do not have Spanish or German keyboard (that's why it worked fine for me), so I'm relying on you to let us know if it helps or not. Thank you!

• miniskulljob
    miniskulljob
    Community Member

Well, I installed the update today and encountered the same problem with the new key because we use "Alt Gr + #" to write the "#" symbol. Didn't think about it yesterday, I'm sorry... The problem is quite big, I couldn't sign in the application because I have that symbol in my password. I had to copy and paste it so I could sign in.
    I solved the problem by setting the key to "Ctrl + Alt + <" in the new settings field. That key doesn't have any "Alt Gr" symbol in the Spanish (Spain) keyboard layout, so it doesn't block any key.

• MikeT
    edited July 2016

Hi @miniskulljob,

I believe we will improve on the shortcut to allow you to choose a different shortcut entirely, not just limited to Control + Alt +. We're just making incremental changes for the moment.

I'm glad you got it to work for now with the other shortcut.

• Hi @Backspaze,

Just an update, 183d update should now restore windows correctly when minimized to tray or taskbar, regardless of the lock status.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

@MikeT Keyboard shortcut is working as it should now (I set it to Ctrl+Alt+N at the moment). Restoring and bringing the window to focus is still a little wonky here though.

The keyboard shortcut seems to restore it and/or bring it to focus regardless of the lock status but with one minor issue. If the app auto-locks when minimized, the master password field is not in focus when I restore the app, clicking on the TAB-button once takes care of this, but it would be nice if the field was in focus from the start. This seems to be the only state where the password field is not in focus after restoring the window.

The browser extension still has some issues with restoring the window from different states. When the app is locked and in the background (not minimized) clicking the extension just causes the icon in the task bar to flash. Auto-lock when minimized has the same issue as the keyboard shortcut above with not putting the password field in focus.

Right now using the keyboard shortcut or browser extension just restores the app, meaning you have to enter the master password, and switch back to the app where you wanted to login and click auto fill again. It would be nice if when you've unlocked 1Password it would just fill in the credentials and then to return to whatever state it was in before (minimized, locked, hiding in the background etc).

• Hi @Backspaze,

This seems to be the only state where the password field is not in focus after restoring the window.

Yea, we're not sure yet why it is not focusing it when restoring the window, it is supposed to. We'll fix this in a future update.

The browser extension still has some issues with restoring the window from different states. When the app is locked and in the background (not minimized) clicking the extension just causes the icon in the task bar to flash.

Windows doesn't like the idea of a backgrounded window being pushed to the foreground out of nowhere, it prefers the user to do this, not a different background process. In a future update, we're not going to bring up the app itself. Stay tuned.

It would be nice if when you've unlocked 1Password it would just fill in the credentials and then to return to whatever state it was in before (minimized, locked, hiding in the background etc).

Stay tuned, we have a different UI workflow coming in the near future. :smile:

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

@MikeT

Stay tuned, we have a different UI workflow coming in the near future. :smile:

I'm guessing 1Password mini is the new workflow solution since that tagged along with the latest update? Fantastic solution, much appreciated!

• MikeT
    edited August 2016

Hi @Backspaze,

Yes. It's not fully done yet, more updates are coming soon but this should improve the windowing situation. We want to add an option to keep 1Password mini running all the time as well. That way, when you boot up the PC, you can start using it right away and bring up the 1Password mini via Control + Alt + \, anytime, anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.