Microsoft Edge - Extension Support [In progress]

lutz
lutz
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Do you work on a Edge Plugin? ;)

Here’s what’s new in Build 14291

Extensions in Microsoft Edge: Today we are very excited to introduce extensions for Microsoft Edge. To try out an extension, just click on “More” (…) at the top right in Microsoft Edge and click “Extensions” to open the Extensions pane and click “Get extensions”. You can try out the Mouse Gestures, Microsoft Translator and Reddit Engagement Suite extensions today with more on the way. Extensions are only available on PC. For more information on extensions for Microsoft Edge, check out this blog post from Drew.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/03/17/bringing-extensions-to-microsoft-edge/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• CyborgBBR
    CyborgBBR
    Community Member

Yeah. Would be nice to have. Then we can use new Edge Browser. Wheeey ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lutz, @CyborgBBR: Since it was only just announced by Microsoft, AgileBits doesn't have anything to announce yet I'm afraid. But we're excited to finally have some information on the possibility of extension support in Edge — but no API yet. So at this stage, we know as much as you do. Hopefully we'll have more information ourselves — and more to say — as we approach the speculated mid-2016 stable release. :pirate:

• Gerry High
    Gerry High
    Community Member

Is there any update on this? The API has been available and companies are releasing Edge extensions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is there any update on this? The API has been available and companies are releasing Edge extensions.

@Gerry High: No. No news here. The API is not publicly available:

Microsoft Edge Extensions

Microsoft has only given access to developers they're working with directly. I imagine (or at least hope) that this will change as the Anniversary Update nears though. Cheers! :)

• macgeek21
    macgeek21
    Community Member

any info yet? the update is coming out next week. I'm sure the api is available now?

• MikeT
    edited July 2016

Hi @macgeek21,

The API has been available for a while but there are limitations in Edge that we cannot work around at the moment. We've managed to get something to fill with our extension in Edge a month ago but the users won't be permitted to use it due to a few workarounds we had to do to make it work. We plan to clarify the situation once the update is available.

This means we won't have 1Password support for Edge on the first day of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

• darm
    darm
    Community Member

Could you not work around this for subscription members and load the passwords online? Honestly about to switch to LastPass because 1Password 6 is nearly useless on Windows 10.

• Hi @darm,

No, it doesn't work like that, you can see why in my detailed explanation here. Your encrypted data on 1Password.com, for security reasons, must be downloaded first into the extension and then decrypted before you can use it. Our current extension has no place to do this because it relies on the desktop program to do all of that. To be able to do what you want, it would take a lot of time to finish and 1Password 6 Beta is also a beta build of a new program, so it won't be finished for a while either.

We understand if you want to switch to a different tool just to have Edge support but we can't work around something that's prevented by Microsoft in the first place and any other solutions would take time.

• symons
    symons
    Community Member

I for one would very much like a 1password extension for Edge. Just letting you know there is demand :). (actually the only reason I don't use Edge currently).

• Hi @symons,

It is a huge demand, our team wants 1Password in Edge as well. I love the lightweight Edge browser and really want to see 1Password in there.

As mentioned in the other thread linked in my previous post, we've already got 1Password working in Edge because we can port the same Chrome extension to Edge. The only dealbreaker is that to make this work, you have to do a lot of things to turn your system into a developer mode, configure Edge to allow localhost exclusion for 1Password and so on, the extension would have to be re-enabled each time you open Edge. Because a lot of this is fragile and is prone to breakage in each Windows update, not to mention Windows Store will not accept extensions that requires localhost exclusion, we cannot ship it like this.

We're trying to find a different way that 1Password in Edge can communicate with 1Password for Windows desktop program on the same machine but there's not much yet.

• Nimish Telang
    Nimish Telang
    Community Member

Are you in contact with Microsoft developer relations at all?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

;) :+1:

• We are but we can't share any details about it.

• Gordon2001
    Gordon2001
    Community Member

Really needed! In your company we decided to use LastPassword, because the have an edge extention. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I understand. Hopefully we'll be able to support Edge in the future, but I'd hate for it to only work for the hosted service. :(

• Gordon2001
    Gordon2001
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

I don't understand why it is needed to communicate with localhost application when you have a 1password.com account? This is a hosted service or am I wrong?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gordon2001: Not everyone uses our new hosted services, and it would be unfortunate to leave others (using the standalone apps, which we've offered for 10 years now) without Edge support. It may be that there's no alternative, but we're not willing to give up hope yet — both in regards to Microsoft and our awesome customers. :)

• MikeT
    edited September 2016

Hi @Gordon2001,

1Password.com service is a companion service to 1Password, 1Password isn't a hosted service on its own.

1Password extensions has to communicate with the local program because the program has an offline copy of your database that it communicates to your extension to fill or save your data. The extension itself has no UI or database, all it does is fill and save. It is the native 1Password Helper that shows you the UI and data, when you select something, it passes it on to the extension.

For the extensions to connect to our hosted service, it requires far more than just a simple connection. It requires its own UI to prompt for your credentials, its own database to download the encrypted data and store it while it decrypts to fill and many more. This is pretty much trying to build an entire app into an extension that will be far limited than the actual app itself. A self-contained extension is something we'd like to do in the future but in the meantime, Microsoft mentioned they may open up the possibility of the Native Messaging API support in the near future that will help us here.

• danmoov2
    danmoov2
    Community Member

@MikeT Now we're another 4/5 months on, any chance of an update? Selfishly speaking as someone using the subscription teams service a service-only version suits me just fine. Even as a beta type thing so you don't waste PR noise on a subset? Appreciate I'm probably being fanciful but just adding my +1 :)

• Hi @danmoov2,

Sure! We've been working with Microsoft's teams over the last few months on this. The Edge team has shipped the implementation of the APIs we need on the latest Insider builds and we're working on that implementation. The implementation has resulted into a much larger than expected work on our side, we've loved what Edge's team has done and now, we just need to rebuild the extension integration to work with Edge, while also working with Microsoft on any other potentials we might run into while building this integration support.

We will share more details as soon as we can, we're currently focused on getting 1Password 6.3 update out first as we're getting close to finishing it.

• danmoov2
    danmoov2
    Community Member

Thanks for the update, looking forwards to both the 6.3 update and the extension.

• You're welcome!

• jdthird
    jdthird
    Community Member

Just tried lastpass in edge, after importing everything from 1password, and wow, seems a real hot mess. Half the sites wouldn't work, it would show its icon that I had one (or more) accounts on that page, but even trying to manually pick the site, so many utterly failed... Some it would only fill in a username, others only a password, and I'd have to manually enter things that should've filled when I picked the identity to use... After the mostly flawless use I've had with 1Password, I can't imagine dealing with that... Hopefully you guys are able to get Edge support going sometime soon...

• Hi @jdthird,

Thanks for writing in. That may not be limited to "them", we do see that MS is pushing fixes to Edge to improve their extension issues.

But that is why we can't say anything about when 1Password extension is coming. As we continue to work on this, we need to test and make sure it works the same way as it does in other browsers. If we see a drastic drop in reliability in the manners that you saw, we will not ship it and will ask Microsoft to fix them first. We rather have no Edge support than a half-implemented one, we can't take risks with your data like this. The idea of pasting your password into a search field is scary enough for us, which is why we have to take it slow and methodical.

• Just want to keep you guys up to date. We're still working on this but we keep running into more limitations in Edge that we didn't anticipate. More limitations means more time to investigate for workarounds and such. We got some stuff working, so Creators Update did give us the API we wanted from Microsoft's Edge team and we're still working with them.

We will share more details as soon as we have them.

If you notice today's 1Password 6.5 release with the Native Messaging support for Chrome, that's the same API we're using in Edge. So, we're transitioning over to Native Messaging for all browsers we support. Support for Firefox is later this year.

• Thanks for the update MikeT, I keep checking in about monthly in the hope that y'all will get this to a working state! Keep at it, please!

• You're welcome. We've made more progress since the last update and are working on the next blocker. Step by step, we're getting close.

• AlphaNerd
    AlphaNerd
    Community Member

I'm very happy to hear that progress is being made! I'm giving Edge another go now with the Windows Creators Update.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@AlphaNerd: Edge is a great browser, so we are getting there. Thank you for chipping in! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member

@MikeT Happy to hear that you're making progress! Any idea if the (beta?) release will take a few more weeks....or even month? ?

This discussion has been closed.