Pinned taskbar issue, pinned apps are not longer working after updates

cwanja
cwanja
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have seen this a few updates ago and thoughtt it might get fixed. When an update is installed, the pinned taskbar icon does not work on the updated version. I wish I caught the error, but it specifically talks about "parameter" errors. If you can not reproduce it, I will grab it next update. The workaround is just to unpin the icon, open the application and re-pin it.

1Password Version: 1Password 6.0.183d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 x64
Sync Type: 1PW Families

Comments

• Hi @cwanja,

Where did you originally open the 1Password from prior to pinning it? Was it from the desktop icon?

The parameter error usually means the file path is no longer valid. In other words, it was likely looking for the previous file that was removed when the app was updated.

• cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member

I typically have too many windows open and just open the application link from the Start Menu. I often times delete the Desktop icon. I then proceed to pin the application once it is opened.

• MikeT
    edited July 2016

Hi @cwanja,

The shortcut in the Start menu is usually the same shortcut from the desktop, which is unintentionally recreated per app update.

If you pin the exe file in Program Files (x86) > 1Password 6, it should be persistent across updates.

• cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member

Sorry @MikeT I might need to clarify that I do not right click from the Start Menu icon and pin it from there. I let the application open, right click on the icon in the taskbar and then just pin from there. Not sure that makes a difference due to what you stated above, it should point to the same location.

• Hi @cwanja,

Do you still have that broken pinned icon?

If yes, try this:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    2. Right-click on the shortcut to 1Password 6 to select Open File Location, where does it take you?
  • cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member

@MikeT, I'll have to apologize - I removed it and then reported it. On the next update, I will do that and make sure to post back here with that information. Updates come regularly :)

• Hi @cwanja,

No need to apologize. I've pinned one here on Windows 7 to test the upcoming update with you.

I had it pinned on Windows 10 and did not see any issues but I didn't have one pinned on Windows 7.

• JohnNguyen
    JohnNguyen
    Community Member

HI @MikeT,

I have the same problem as @cwanja. I have the newest update to 1password for windows 7. After opening the 1password app, the icon shows on the task bar. When I minimize the app, the task bar icon does not work when you click on it. The icon appears as if the app was not started. However, I am able to re-open the app from the quick menu at the bottom right of the windows taskbar. In short, the task bar icon does not work in windows 7.

• @JohnNguyen by default when 1Password window is minimized, it will be hidden. If you have icon pinned in task bar, clicking on it will start another copy of 1Password. New copy should find previous app in memory and send a signal to bring show window again, then new copy is terminated. Using 1Password icon or Ctrl+Alt+\ key (Ctrl+Alt+# on some layouts with AltGr) is faster because it does not involve starting another copy.

If you want to keep 1Password window in taskbar, please visit Settings\Options and turn off Minimize to system tray, I believe that should give you desired behaviour.

Hope that helps :)

• cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member

@MikeT - with the update pushed on August 4th or 5th, the pinned task bar icon worked post-update. Not sure if that was resolved as a bug or not, but just glad to see it working. Thanks.

• Hi @cwanja,

That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know. We made so many changes to accommodate the new 1Password mini but I don't think we did anything specifically to address this issue. I'm glad it is working for now.

This discussion has been closed.