After update to 1Password 6.3.1 my master password will not unlock app.

Options
rcking
rcking
Community Member

After download & install of 1Password v6.3.1, my master password will not unlock the app. I just started using the app a few weeks ago and have only entered a small percentage of my passwords. Is there a way that I can simply delete the app and start over creating a new master password?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: don't remember setting this up
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: don't know
Referrer: forum-search:After update to 1Password 6.3.1 my master password will not unlock the application.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rcking,

I'm sorry to hear your master password isn't working after installing the update!

There shouldn't be anything about the update that would make a difference with entering your master password, but is there any chance you have multiple copies of 1Password installed on your Mac? (Try looking in the Applications folder to see if there is more than one 1Password app). If you happen to have both the Mac App Store version and AgileBits Store version installed, that might explain the problem, because they each keep a separate database on your Mac, so they might each be using a different master password. If you find multiple 1Password apps, try opening each one - can you unlock either with your master password?

If you only have a single 1Password app installed on your Mac, try rebooting your Mac and then see if you can unlock 1Password. If it still won't accept your master password, we have some tips in our knowledgebase that might help: Recover your Master Password

Do any of those tips help? If not, do you happen to be using a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account? If you are, a Team admin / Family owner should be able to help reset your master password (you won't lose any data). If you're using 1Password for Mac as a standalone app (i.e. without the use of a Teams/Families account) and would like to reset 1Password and start over, you can do that by following the steps here: How to start over with an empty vault

Please let us know how it goes and if you have more questions or need additional help with any of that. Thanks! :)

• rcking
    rcking
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the guidance on correcting the problem. I opted to start over with an empty vault and was able to restart with a new master password. Thank you for your help.

Rick

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear the "starting over" steps were helpful for you! Thanks for following up to let us know.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.