Is my 1Paßword still safe when I backup my Powerbook on an external drive which is not encoded?

agilebits_jpk
agilebits_jpk
Community Member

Is my 1Paßword still safe when I backup my Powerbook on an external drive that is not encoded?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is my 1Paßword still safe when backup my Powerbook on an external drive which is not encoded?

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @agilebits_jpk

Thank you for contacting us with this vey interesting question. Assuming that the backup you are talking about are the ones generated by 1Password itself, then the short answer is yes, it is safe. Those backups are saved encrypted themselves, and without your Master Password there is no way to have access to what's inside of them.

If you have any other questions or there's anything else that I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask :chuffed:

• agilebits_jpk
    agilebits_jpk
    Community Member

THX, Pilar, I am not sure, whether I understood your phrase "Assuming that the backup you are talking about are the ones generated by 1Password itself" properly.
    What I mean is the following/ I'll try to phrase it better: 1Paßword has "hidden places" on my Powerbook for its own backups, etc. When I back up now the whole content of my Powerbook by Time Machine i.e. I was told that 1Paßword is not safe anymore if somebody would find this undecoded external drive, open it and use the data 1Paßword left there behind?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @agilebits_jpk,

Perhaps it’s easier to say it this way: 1Password never stores your data in an unencrypted format. Whether we are talking about your 1Password datafile or the backups created automatically by the app, your 1Password data is always encrypted when it is written to your disk, and it is always encrypted before it is transferred to the cloud (if you’re using a sync service like Dropbox, iCloud, or take advantage of our 1Password accounts).

(The one exception to this is if you choose to export your data in an unencrypted format, such as a .1pif file).

Copying your backups to an external drive doesn’t change how they are encrypted. Like Pilar says, without your Master Password, no one will be able to get at your data.

If there is other information on that external drive that you are concerned about, you could certainly look into encrypting the drive itself, but your 1Password data is always protected with AES-256 bit encryption, no matter where it is stored.

• agilebits_jpk
    agilebits_jpk
    Community Member

That's a VERY GOOD und HELPFUL answer, Megan! THX alot! :-)

• agilebits_jpk
    agilebits_jpk
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

...another silly question, please:
    can you delete/ replace my current eMail address [addresses removed by moderator to avoid spam, and communicated privately to AgileBits staff] ??

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @agilebits_jpk

You're very welcome! If you have any other questions about 1Password and how we keep your data secure just let us know!

One of our mods removed your emails from the post to protect your privacy, but we still have them privately! I would love to help you, but can you please tell me where exactly you'd like the email to be changed? Is it the email you purchased your license with, the one you are using to receive news letters, or do you mean somewhere else? Once I've heard back from you we'll get you all sorted out! :chuffed:

• agilebits_jpk
    agilebits_jpk
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

THX, Pilar, please just
    REMOVE "[address removed]" all over where you find it/ where it is stored in your data
    and
    INSTALL instead "[address removed]".
    My MOTIVATION:
    only ONE eMail-adress for 1Password, OK?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @agilebits_jpk,

Pilar removed your email addresses from your message (just as one of our moderators did in your previous message). This support forum is public and searchable by Google, so it's not a good thing to include your email addresses here (they could be harvested by spambots, for example).

We had trouble finding your addresses in our systems, so in order to continue helping you with that, please send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com as that will make it much easier to communicate about what addresses you want us to look for / update. Please also include a link to this forum discussion and your forum username so we can "connect the dots" once we receive that email.

Again, please do not post your email addresses on this forum - instead, include them in the email you send us, and we'll be happy to try finding them. Thanks in advance! :)

ref: VUN-29485-444

This discussion has been closed.