why doesn't 1password know the item is already there?

Options
Jose24
Jose24
Community Member

When I go to a website and Safari automatically fills in the password, 1Password 6 for Mac always pops up and says "Would you like to save the username and password for this sit in 1Password/".

It already is there! Why doesn't it recognize that it has the password and associate it with the proper file? At the very least, why can't I educate 1Password (one time!!!) as to where it is in the file and have it recognize it always after that? The behavior is beyond annoying. No, I don't want to go to the website from 1Password, I want to get there from a saved url in bookmarks. My wife hates this "feature".

OSX 10.11.15 1 Password Ext 4.5.7

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:why doesn't 1password know the item is already there

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jose24,

I'm sorry 1Password keeps asking you if you want to save a new Login every time you sign into the same site! I have a hunch about why that's happening:

When I go to a website and Safari automatically fills in the password...

It sounds like your username and password are filled in automatically when you open a website in Safari. But 1Password doesn't actually have an auto-fill feature - in other words, 1Password never fills a sign-in form on a website unless you explicitly tell it to do so (for example, by double-clicking a Login item from the main 1Password app, by selecting a Login item from the 1Password browser extension, or by using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut in the browser).

If your login credentials are being filled automatically when you open a website (and you aren't taking any action to have 1Password fill them for you), it sounds like Safari saved your username & password for that site and is set to automatically fill them in for you. If you'd like to turn off Safari's autofill feature, you can follow the steps here: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Why doesn't it recognize that it has the password and associate it with the proper file? At the very least, why can't I educate 1Password (one time!!!) as to where it is in the file and have it recognize it always after that?

If Safari is filling that sign-in form for you, it's possible you haven't actually saved a Login item for that site in 1Password. That would certainly explain why 1Password keeps asking if you want to save one. Please open the main 1Password app and search for a Login item for that site. If you can't find one, that's why this is happening - just save a Login item for that site in 1Password the next time you're prompted to do so, and that should be the last time.

On the other hand, if you find an existing Login item for that site in 1Password, something about it must be different from the site and/or the username/password being entered on that site, so 1Password thinks it's new information. In that case, try saving a new Login the next time 1Password prompts you to do so. Does that stop it from asking you every time after that?

No, I don't want to go to the website from 1Password, I want to get there from a saved url in bookmarks.

No problem! As I mentioned above, there are several ways to have 1Password fill your username & password on a website, and we describe them in more detail here: Using a saved Login.

Please let us know how it all goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Jose24
    Jose24
    Community Member
    Options

I have several hundred passwords in 1Password. I imported them from Pastor. That is probably why your app doesn't match them exactly. I only wanted a way to go from your pop up directly to your app to show 1Password the correct correlation without the bother of signing in. I don't want to input every password and information associated with it again for 200 or so passwords. Maybe your app could suggest a match? "Is this the same thing..." and the user could say yes or no without opening and inputting. Then the match would be made and the pop up wouldn't happen again for that password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jose24,

I have several hundred passwords in 1Password. I imported them from Pastor. That is probably why your app doesn't match them exactly.

Hmm, that's certainly a possibility. However, if that's the reason why you're being prompted to save a new Login in 1Password every time, I'd be surprised if it did that for every single one of your Logins. Does this happen for every site that has a Login item in 1Password? In your first message, I thought perhaps this was a problem with one site, or perhaps a few.

If you look at some of your Login items in the main 1Password app, do they look ok as far as the username, password, and website fields? If Safari is filling the same credentials (and on the same website) as the corresponding Login item in 1Password, it should recognize that you already have that data saved, so it shouldn't ask you.

I don't want to input every password and information associated with it again for 200 or so passwords.

Hopefully you won't have to! I'm not exactly sure why this is happening yet, so there might be a much easier solution.

Maybe your app could suggest a match? "Is this the same thing..." and the user could say yes or no without opening and inputting. Then the match would be made and the pop up wouldn't happen again for that password.

Actually, 1Password already has that ability: If you have a Login item for a particular site, but you sign into that site with a different username and/or password than the one saved in that Login, 1Password should give two options: Create New and Update Existing. If you choose to update the existing Login, it will update it with the new username/password you entered. However, in your screenshot, you aren't being given that choice in the pop-up window.

The option to update an existing Login only appears in that pop-up window if the website you're currently viewing matches one or more Login items in 1Password. Since you aren't seeing that option, that makes me wonder if the website fields in your Logins are correct, or if for some reason they didn't import correctly from Pastor (that's part of the reason I asked you (above) to check the website field in your Login items).

Here's what I'd like you to try as a quick test:

• If you haven't already done so, turn off Safari's autofill feature.
    • Open a site in Safari that already has a saved Login item in 1Password.
    • Go to the sign-in form for that site, then click the 1Password extension icon in Safari's toolbar.
    • Does the 1Password extension show your Login item for that site near the top (under the 'Search' field)? If so, select that - does 1Password fill the username/password correctly?
    • If the extension does not suggest your matching Login item for that site, find that item in 1Password and copy/paste your username & password into the sign-in form.
    • Submit the sign-in form.
    • If you're prompted to save a new Login (and assuming you aren't given the option to update an existing one), go ahead and save it. You may want to enter a unique title for the new Login item so it's easy to find.
    • Sign out of that website and go back to the same sign-in form again.
    • Click the 1Password extension icon in Safari's toolbar - does it suggest the new Login item? If so, select it - does 1Password fill the username/password correctly?

Please let us know how it goes, and I think that will give us a much better idea of what's going on. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.