Backups

skisgurl
skisgurl
Community Member

I have no clue if I am in the proper section for this question. I simply need to know how to manually backup my 1PW v6.3.1 (631006) to an external device (Thumb Drive if adequate space) where I can later retrieve it to restore. First Aid is indicating my Mac HD is corrupt. Not sure if it is failing and will need replaced soon. But, just in case, I want to make sure that all my 1PW information is safely somewhere else until I can install it on the new HD. Time Machine might not be an option if the drive is corrupt from a malicious source. I did review your info on backups, but it was confusing i.e. manual backup for older versions, where the backups are located. When I located my backups, it appears it isn't as simple as dragging a copy to an external device. So, I defer to the experts. Thank you so much for any direction you could provide.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @skisgurl,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble with your drive.

If you have a 1Password account (including a family or team account), then all your data is safely on 1Password.com. You just need to sign in, and all your data will show up again. Since you posted in the category for 1Password Teams, I figured I would start with that. :)

1Password for Mac creates backups of any local vaults you may have (if any) every day. But you can create another manual backup at any time. This is all covered in our article about backups:

1Password backups

The most important thing is to back up your entire drive (or at least your home folder), which will also include your local 1Password data. The location will vary depending on where you installed 1Password: from the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store. Not sure where you installed 1Password from?

If you installed 1Password from the Mac App Store, the backup location is:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/Backups/

If you installed 1Password from our website the backup location is:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Again, both locations are in your home folder, so pretty much any backup solution you use — Time Machine, SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, CrashPlan, Backblaze, etc — will back up your 1Password data by default.

You may also consider syncing your local vaults with Dropbox or iCloud for additional protection.

Let me know if you have additional questions or would like help with any of the particulars.

This discussion has been closed.